Can I ask you Hawk guys a question? Input please..

sounds like a great idea. I would appreciate a handforged 'hawk at an affordable ''working man'' price! I would be a future customer.

Kentucky

I don't know what any similar craftsman forged hawks sell for ....you should get quite a few orders with that price.

Having a 'finish the handle yourself' version is a good idea.

I'll be honest, I'm not a big 'hawk fan. But a 'hawk with with good metallurgy, reasonably priced and able to handle actual work would interest me.

1075 is a good choice for the bit. High enough carbon to be very abrasion resistant (edge retention) and can be hardened and tempered to suit.

I think it's a wonderful idea.

I get e-mails about every week asking if I carry a "standard" line of my old rusty/crustys.
Nope, I have the attention span of a knat, hard to make anything twice. I tried once to make two of something but I only got it half right.

I have sent many people to your site and would love to send thousands more.

Americans love the idea of owning something made by hand and made here with local materials.

I think it was Robin that hit on "options" . Maybe a unfinished sheath as one.
As we Americans love to accessorize...Make IT MINE, so I think an unfinished haft/ sheath option would be good, if you can stand the bombardment of questions you will get about finishing.

Go fer it, Brother and Sister, I'll support it a thousand percent with referrals......

Last edited:
I would love to see a compact trail hawk alternative. Something light, capable and fun. Something with a little more edge and that has an actual beard. My 2 cents. Either way, I would probably be a buyer.

i'll tell you that. i would definitely buy at least one of those hawks at 50 bucks. that's a helluva deal! I've been waiting to buy a nice hawk and here is a great chance to at a good price!

I'd buy one. Please, please consider a hammer poll, as I need it to drive tent stakes and such:)

GregB

I'd buy one, been thinkin' about getting another one from y'all anyway. Can't beat the price.

Don't mean to pressure you, bbbuuttt, was wondering if you had made a decision yet and have a projected production date?

Howard

Hi guys..Sorry i havent updated this thread..Ive had several doc's appointments this week(everythings tunred out great though)..Anyway heres the update..We have recieved the steel and a new shipment of handles from dunlaps..We use Dunlaps because the handles are more uniform and are a near perfect match to the production tomahawk drifts out there..Crazy crow is cheaper by more than a dollar per handle but we are not completely satisfied with their shape..So Lisa just ordered the better handles..These happen to be straight grain Ash..nice handles..Aldo worked his magic and got us the 5/16" thick bar of 1075 in too..
The plan is too have a couple done and post pics by Saturday if everything goes OK..That way folks can decide if they like them...Then if enough people like it the production will start
Hows that sound guys?

Do it! Heavier and bigger is better, I can always grind off what I don't like - much tougher to weld on more. Make the eyes and handles bigger in diameter than necessary in case we want to install a longer handle.

I'm interested in buying one. It sounds about perfect for my wants and needs.
I've seen your recent work and it's very nice.
Brian

Back