"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

There was a show called ''Person of Interest'' with Jim Caviezel that was largely about Big Brother preventing crimes through surveillance and artificial intelligence. It was a really good show... I think it's on Netflix.
Loved that show. My wife and I ran into Michael Emerson one evening in Manhattan a few years ago. He played Harold Finch in the show. We had a nice chat with him. A nice guy.

The worst thing is that smart phones make dumb drivers :rolleyes:

I can't help wondering how many automobile accidents occurred as a result of the Presidential Alert. I knew about it in advance but I was at work when it was issued and a lot of people here were taken by surprise when they got the message.

Loved that show. My wife and I ran into Michael Emerson one evening in Manhattan a few years ago. He played Harold Finch in the show. We had a nice chat with him. A nice guy.
That's cool! Emerson's wife (Carrie Preston) actually played his "love interest", Grace, in Person of Interest. I like how most of his aliases had something to do with birds... Harold Finch, Harold Wren... Crane, Crow, Gull, Swift, Quail, Starling, Martin, Whistler... Mr Partridge, Mr Kingfisher, Mr Egret, etc.

I was surprised another network or Netflix/Hulu did not pick up the show where it left off.

That's cool! Emerson's wife (Carrie Preston) actually played his "love interest", Grace, in Person of Interest. I like how most of his aliases had something to do with birds... Harold Finch, Harold Wren... Crane, Crow, Gull, Swift, Quail, Starling, Martin, Whistler... Mr Partridge, Mr Kingfisher, Mr Egret, etc.

I was surprised another network or Netflix/Hulu did not pick up the show where it left off.
I wasn't aware of that, Kevin.
It surprised me too that the show wasn't picked up by another network. It was so much better than the tripe that's made available for us to watch.

Howdy everyone! I’ve been pretty scarce ’round these parts lately and I wanted to check in and say hi. Life’s been busy the past couple of months, but all in good ways. Three weeks ago tomorrow it got even busier with a decidedly Good Thing.

Please meet our new border collie mix pup, Tucker:

V2MI1xUh.jpg

Pi36XhCh.jpg

Those pictures were taken the day we adopted him and he’s grown noticeably in the past three weeks. He has huge paws, so we think he’s got a lot of growing yet to do. That’s fine by me. I like big dogs.

Once he’s grown I’m hoping he’ll be a great running companion. In the meantime he’s proving to be super smart and is rocking his puppy obedience training.

He adores his older brother Rufus, our 11 yo lab mix. Rufus tolerates him and I think is beginning to appreciate having him around. ;)

He’s just about sleeping through the night without a potty trip outside and we’re well on our way to building trust with him hanging out unsupervised, so hopefully I’ll have a bit more free time and energy to spend here soon.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Howdy everyone! I’ve been pretty scarce ’round these parts lately and I wanted to check in and say hi. Life’s been busy the past couple of months, but all in good ways. Three weeks ago tomorrow it got even busier with a decidedly Good Thing.

V2MI1xUh.jpg

Pi36XhCh.jpg

Those pictures were taken the day we adopted him and he’s grown noticeably in the past three weeks. He has huge paws, so we think he’s got a lot of growing yet to do. That’s fine by me. I like big dogs.

Once he’s grown I’m hoping he’ll be a great running companion. In the meantime he’s proving to be super smart and is rocking his puppy obedience training.

He adores his older brother Rufus, our 11 yo lab mix. Rufus tolerates him and I think is beginning to appreciate having him around. ;)

He’s just about sleeping through the night without a potty trip outside and we’re well on our way to building trust with him hanging out unsupervised, so hopefully I’ll have a bit more free time and energy to spend here soon.

Cute pup.

V2MI1xUh.jpg

Pi36XhCh.jpg

I think you've got a friend for life there, Greg. That's a fine pup if I ever did see one.

Well, today is my birthday. I am often pleasantly surprised by the generosity of my students. I have been blessed to teach in a school where folks want their kids to grow up loving their neighbor, and the teachers and parents work hard to teach, train, rebuke, and correct the kids from the time they are little until they are ready to go on to the next phase of life. So many of my students express their gratitude for what their parents and teachers give to them, and they do so in a variety of ways--through their diligent attention and work in class, through their words of thanks, through the giving of gifts and acts of kindness, and more.

As I've shared before, a few of my students "get" that I'm a knife nut, because they (or their parents, or both!) have an affinity for knives as well. I've received a fixed blade hunting knife, a Case tiny toothpick, and a Case teardrop with dimpled bolsters---some really excellent and generous knife gifts! I don't deserve any of them, and the best part is the expression of knowing love from the givers; as we share both the love of knives and the gratitude for each other. It's great.

Today a student of mine gifted me a first production run model (122 of 1200) of the Benchmade proper (clip point, too!). I had seen the first model of the Proper (the drop point) and wasn't wowed by it. The clip looked better, but I still had been moving away from "modern" production folders. However, having held this one in hand (and already cutting myself while coon fingering it) I'm more impressed than I had been initially. Does it's being a gift make a difference in my opinion? Sure, how could it not? Still, I think I it isn't as bad as I initially thought. I like the height of the handle and the shape feels nice in hand. Here's a pic:

fullsizeoutput_2bd3.jpeg

I liked the show, but liked it better when it was just Caviezel and Emerson, and their uneasy alliance with the cops. I thought it jumped the shark in later seasons with the pervasive conspiracies.

The final episode was interesting, suggesting the presence of a new crew to take up the struggle. I won’t hold my breath.

In any case, prime has the original series; I’m not sure how many seasons that is.

Well, today is my birthday. I am often pleasantly surprised by the generosity of my students. I have been blessed to teach in a school where folks want their kids to grow up loving their neighbor, and the teachers and parents work hard to teach, train, rebuke, and correct the kids from the time they are little until they are ready to go on to the next phase of life. So many of my students express their gratitude for what their parents and teachers give to them, and they do so in a variety of ways--through their diligent attention and work in class, through their words of thanks, through the giving of gifts and acts of kindness, and more.

As I've shared before, a few of my students "get" that I'm a knife nut, because they (or their parents, or both!) have an affinity for knives as well. I've received a fixed blade hunting knife, a Case tiny toothpick, and a Case teardrop with dimpled bolsters---some really excellent and generous knife gifts! I don't deserve any of them, and the best part is the expression of knowing love from the givers; as we share both the love of knives and the gratitude for each other. It's great.

Today a student of mine gifted me a first production run model (122 of 1200) of the Benchmade proper (clip point, too!). I had seen the first model of the Proper (the drop point) and wasn't wowed by it. The clip looked better, but I still had been moving away from "modern" production folders. However, having held this one in hand (and already cutting myself while coon fingering it) I'm more impressed than I had been initially. Does it's being a gift make a difference in my opinion? Sure, how could it not? Still, I think I it isn't as bad as I initially thought. I like the height of the handle and the shape feels nice in hand. Here's a pic:

View attachment 998188
That is really cool of your students wow! Awesome gift :)

Something a little off-topic I am excited about but not sure where to share.
I've been wanting something one-of-a-kind to match my growing tortoise shell collection. I reached out to a guy on Instagram that makes custom pens and asked if he could make one to match my GECs. I had to wait a while for him to find the material in thick enough pieces to turn the pen but it was worth it. I think he did an amazing job :) And it is "out for delivery" right now :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Tortoise_Shell_Pen_01.jpg
Tortoise_Shell_Pen_02.jpg

I've been wanting something one-of-a-kind to match my growing tortoise shell collection. I reached out to a guy on Instagram that makes custom pens and asked if he could make one to match my GECs. I had to wait a while for him to find the material in thick enough pieces to turn the pen but it was worth it. I think he did an amazing job :) And it is "out for delivery" right now :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
View attachment 998212
View attachment 998213
Sweet pen! Now you need a matching light and wallet and sunglasses and . . .:D

View attachment 998188
That is so cool that your students/parents gift you knives. I teach in a town that is very anti-knife, so I have to hide mine from all prying eyes and not ever talk about them. Typical gift at my school is gift cards from Starbucks. You're a lucky guy!!!

View attachment 998212
View attachment 998213
That is a very cool bolt action pen Darren. I think he did a great job finding something to match the tortoise that GEC uses. It's a treasure for sure.

Thanks JohnDF JohnDF ! I am a lucky guy. Starbucks isn't the worst gift in the world, though.

One of the best aspects of teaching at a small private school in the South is that the students are allowed to carry pocket knives at school. I frequently see little ones cutting fruit at lunch or having a teacher ask them to cut string or something like that. The kids see knives as useful tools and not as weapons. It is great!

Back