1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Jul 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Here's what I currently see when I step out our back door and look toward our garage; I could have sworn the garage had a dark roof! :confused:
    garage.from.backdoor.jpg

And here's a new "bathroom" we designed for the dogs, whose legs are too short to deal with the snow when they try to "do their business", so we have to shovel out little paths for them to use for exercise and "relief". ;)
    dogmaze.jpg

- GT

2. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Snow hasn’t been too bad, about 7”, but it has been cold. Today’s high was -11F, and it’s going down to -30F tonight. Since November, I have been driving a transit bus in inner-city St. Paul. I thought I might have more homeless riders, looking for a place to get warm for a couple of hours, but there was almost nobody out.

Probably just as well, because the buses were having a hard time of it. I kept losing air pressure, and then my bus quit as I was turning into a busy street. Between stopping repeatedly to coax my air back, and wIting for a rescue bus, I lost over an hour. If I am lucky, maybe my car won’t start in the morning.

3. jc57

jc57

Nov 28, 2012
    Cold but clear and sunny last two days. Polar vortex is scheduled to be officially over tomorrow at 10:00 AM in my neighborhood, with a high of 50 F forecast by afternoon, then 60s over the weekend and into early next week.

Crazy weather for the exact middle of winter.

JohnDF likes this.
  4. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Please ...tell me more of this ..snow that you speak of ?...it sounds wonderful.
    I on the other hand am sweltering in furnace like temperatures...I returned to my beachside digs this afternoon as the glass reached 37degC....thats 98.6 in the olden speech....phew it was hot. I decided to embark on the 2 minute trek to Austinmer beach...a treacherous shark infested cove with a deadly rip...BUT....as I stepped on to sand a stiff Southerly breeze whipped up....the beach became a Lawrence of Arabia sandstorm ....the sea churned into a stormy grey white capped mess....with the swimming ability of Prince Namor himseIf I plunged fearlessly through the chop....most refreshing.... as I left the cool swirling foam I spied a giant inflatable crocodile blowing airborne across the beach....its owner ..a small boy chasing hopelessly about 200 M away . this looked like a job ...FOR SUPERMEAKO....I sprinted after it and launched myself into the air ...possibly executing the best mid air inflatable crocodile tackle ...like ever.
    The owner and his Mum thanked me.
    Thats my good deed for the day.
    Bet ya didnt see that one coming:thumbsup::p

r redden, zolthar, jc57 and 17 others like this.
  5. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    The take away from this ^ - @meako executes and survives a crocotackle. Steve Irwin himself would be proud! We? Simply impressed. :thumbsup:

Oh yeah - and it's hot where he lives :confused:

:D Ray

6. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Lord, you make me laugh! I can see it in my minds eye!
    Keep cool, Meako. I might trade my 2 degrees F for your 98.6!

Fodderwing, Prester John and meako like this.
  7. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    I blame that blummin polar vortex.
    I think the air temp dropped 16 degC in less than 10 min....a southerly Bizarro anti vortex of sorts.
    I wish there were pics of me as I was deflating the croc ...Irwin was mentioned by a passer by....In hindsight It might have looked I was performing CPR on the beast.

8. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Thanks, Mate!
    B5999B59-F2E8-4A88-971A-4237A45F713F.jpeg

r redden, Fodderwing and meako like this.
  9. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Great story, Meako!! I am still grinning!!:D

Barefoot wild Boar hunting next???:eek:

10. glennbad

glennbad Knife Moddin' Fool Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 13, 2003
    Here's the newest member of our family, Pepper. She's an approx. 2 year old female we adopted from the shelter. A little shy at first, she's an absolute doll, very friendly, and curious.

pepper2.jpeg
    pepper3.jpeg
    pepper4.jpeg
    pepper1.jpeg

We had cats years ago, but were heartbroken when we had to put them down, and hadn't had pets for quite a few years. We finally caved to the pressure.

11. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    We like cats. We have lost a few extra special little dears too. Many people don't realize how attentive and attached cats can be. We have had great times with our cat walking along with us in the woods -stirring up all kinds of adventure and interesting things that we otherwise might have missed.

Yours looks like a sweetie! Hope she doesn't make you sneeze :) Have fun together.

Ray

12. Jolipapa

Jolipapa Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2015
    :thumbsup: Nice cat, wish her a long and happy life. Just the right size to take with you on a trip. :D
    Sac-1.jpg

13. jc57

jc57

Nov 28, 2012
    Happy Groundhog Eve everyone! I hope everyone who did Dry January can enjoy this special day.

14. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Congratulations! Yes, it's hard to lose them, but they are great companions. We currently have two dogs and a cat, and are about to add another cat.

15. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Pepper's a beauty and a lucky girl to find a loving home. :)

16. Gevonovich

Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    She's magnificent !! Look at those precious mannerisms :D:)

17. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I thought I wouldn't profane @Âchillepattada's thread with this, but if I can find the right shaped stick, this old Flint Vanadium quasi-Chef's knife is going to be a monster spring-backed folder.
    [​IMG]

18. r redden

r redden Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 23, 2015
    Cute Kitty Glenn.:):)

My grandson Trevor is a smart kid and graduated from high school early and with high honors. The Graduation Ceremony was today there were 176 kids from all high schools in Buncombe Co. combined that graduated early today. His hair may be long but so was mine at that age and although he is a bit of a hippie I'm still very proud of him. He will be attending Warren Wilson College this fall in their PreVeterinary Medicine program. He hopes when he graduates from there he can get into either NC State or UT's Veterinary Medicine program and become a Vet. I hope him all the luck in the world and hope his dreams come true.

[​IMG]

abbydaddy, zolthar, JB in LV and 12 others like this.
  19. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Congratulations to him. Well done.

r redden likes this.
  20. glennbad

glennbad Knife Moddin' Fool Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 13, 2003
    That's awesome, Randy! The kid is going places, I'm sure of that!

r redden likes this.