1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Jul 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    [​IMG]

I googled "keychain knife" and got a couple of top twenty lists.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  2. veitsi_poika

veitsi_poika Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 25, 2016
    A few years ago I was driving in a grocery store parking lot and saw someone stepping out in front of me while staring down at their phone. I stopped... and they proceeded to walk right into the front of my stopped car. Then they had the audacity to look up at me, throw their hands in the air and say "What the _ _ _ _?" at me. :rolleyes: Funny thing is... they did NOT have headphones in... perhaps I should have wavered from my usual polite frame of mind and gave them a taste of my German VW Jetta horn. o_O

3. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    I think it's a great time to be a traditional knife user and collector. Lots of great knives that make for nice collection pieces as well as ones that are super practical. I have gotten to use my Possum Skinner on a deer and fish caught on a very nice day of ice fishing with family. It was delicious cooked in my air fryer for me and my fiancee.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    redsparrow, meako and Peregrin like this.
  4. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    I remember DJ's knife as being small, serrated, and carried in a man-purse. I always pictured a Vic parer, but I'm not sure CC is explicit that it's a FB. And how old was it? Bought in AZ or Sonorra?
    [​IMG]
    Speaking of thread-appropriate, I'll take my CC rant to trad blades and books.

Cambertree likes this.
  5. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    @scrteened porch - are you on a CC rant? I hadn't noticed that level of intensity.

Traditional Blades & Books would make a good thread. :thumbsup:

Ray

6. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    I think that thread may exist already:
    "Blades upon Books -- Traditional", or something like that.

Grateful likes this.
  7. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/blades-upon-books-traditionals.1472512/page-33#post-18742515 :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ridiculous

8. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Ramrodmb and Prester John like this.
  9. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    Yup. That's where I put it.
    I'm doing a lot of skimming.

"'How does Mescalito teach the good life, Don Juan?
    He shows it to you.
    How does he show it to you, Don Juan?
    It appears as a teaching in front of you.
    Is it like a picture in front of you, Don Juan?
    No, it's a teaching in front of you.
    Does Mescalito talk to humans, Don Juan?
    Yes, but not in words.
    How does Mescalito talk to humans, Don Juan?
    It varies. Sometimes in the reverberations from being struck on the head with a shovel.'
    I thought he was becoming tired of my questions."

[Good call, I'll bet.]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    meako, Cambertree, Jack Black and 3 others like this.
  10. Jolipapa

Jolipapa Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2015
    It's quite 11pm, snow started falling down for a while. We have been warned, so tomorrow morning I'll go out and watch the usual big mess in Paris. Fortunately this is not Chicago or Finland!
    I remember years ago, late in the evening, the place Pigalle was all covered in white, there was a tramp whistling the few cars on the avenue. Nearly all had the same bad reflex and braked instantly, with the car spinning around (could not be today as the place changed ) and the clochard having a good barrel of laugh! :)

dc50, meako, Cambertree and 4 others like this.
  11. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    @Jolipapa At least you don't get woken up at 4a.m. by some monster tractor shovelling and ploughing snow outside your window, bang! Roar of powerful engine:eek: We've had a tonne of snow these past days, can't get to the country place as it's cut off and I can't find anyone to do the snow work-they prefer the city:D

veitsi_poika likes this.
  12. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    OK help for a technically challenged old git please;)

Recently, my MacBook kept nagging me to update to Mojave as a replacement for the previous one ( Dunno) Took a while but went very smoothly. However, the photo editing part on Photos has altered, I cannot find the tool which enables you to brush out various things like reflections of fingers/faces on bolsters, addresses you don't want seen in photos etc. Where is it anyone?:eek:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    veitsi_poika likes this.
  13. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    -8 here and still snowing. High predicted of -6F. Very cold for us, and everything is closed.
    If I can contrive to dress warmly enough to go out and clear the snow, it might be worth a picture.

14. JB in SC

JB in SC Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2001
    In edit, click the "adjust" button, scroll down to the "retouch" part of the menu, you will see the "bandaid" with the slider bar that allows you to set the size of the "brush".

veitsi_poika and meako like this.
  15. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Thank you Jerry, will have to try it out, much appreciated, Will

veitsi_poika likes this.
  16. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Still -6° at 9 am here just west of St. Louis. Hasn't been this cold in at least a decade.

btb01 likes this.
  17. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    currently -4 here. SWMBO works in Des Moines and comes home on the weekends -- it's up to -17 currently.
    she is wearing long johns, flannel lined jeans, and a sweater inside the office as their HVAC can't keep up.
    I'm at home with the dogs - didn't seem right to make them sit outside in the -25 wind chill for 10 hours.

18. Jolipapa

Jolipapa Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2015
    It's 3°C, so the snow did not stay downtown, for once, preventive measures exceeded the real risk. Problem, it was market day today but except the fishmonger and cheese shop, all other places were empty as they come from the country...
    Happily there' an excellent Chinese takeaway, so on for hakao, siomai and sate beef with noodles! :thumbsup::)

dc50, meako, Gevonovich and 4 others like this.
  19. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    I got out and throwed the snow after all. I wanted to rake some of the thickest stuff off the roof anyway. My right eyelashes froze, but that was the worst of it. It was 0*F when I got back in, so they were wrong about the day's high.

dc50, Gevonovich and Prester John like this.
  20. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Kinda chilly here too :D
    [​IMG]

scrteened porch likes this.