1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Jul 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. zolthar

zolthar Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Great tour Vince, thanks!

Prester John and Jolipapa like this.
  2. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Thanks, guys!
    And Justin, the Ruby Redbird is one I haven't tried yet, but probably have to. I have been reluctant hitherto because I believe they use grapefruit juice. :eek:
    But I do like their seasonal "Holiday Cheer", flavoured with pecans and peaches. Yeah, sounds weird, but I love it. Usually available around October through January. (Pecan is the state tree of Texas, and I believe we grow a lot of peaches in the hill country.)

Cambertree, Jack Black and zolthar like this.
  3. JustinR

JustinR Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2008
    I like the holiday cheer as well, but doesn't hold a candle to the Redbird (IMO).

I think they do use grapefruit juice or rind...but don't let that deter you!

Prester John likes this.
  4. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    Maybe I'll get the sampler six-pack which has a Ruby Redbird, I believe.

5. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Yes mate, they follow the bin wagon too! :D That's the garbage truck to most of you folks ;) :thumbsup:

meako and Prester John like this.
  6. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    We used to call it the dustcart...
    That reminds ..bins have to go out...the Garbo will be here soon Cheers.

Prester John and Jack Black like this.
  7. dannyp

dannyp Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2007
    When I was there years ago, as part of the tour they mentioned that they distributed to almost all of the continental US. I think it was about five or six states in the northeast that weren't included. That may explain why you haven't seen it before.

Prester John likes this.
  8. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    LOL! Yes, that's right :D :thumbsup:

9. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    I like Bocks, and I've had Shiner. Don't remember how well I liked it but I know some of my friends like it. Looks like a really cool tour. It's nice when businesses do that, and always nice when you can get a knife to remember the occasion! There's a brewery near where I grew up called Straub that is one of the older craft breweries. They do tours and have an "eternal tap".

Prester John likes this.
  10. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    @Prester John - Vince I enjoyed the Shiner Bock tour very much. And a great score on the knife. Thanks for sharing your day.

Ramrodmb, Jack Black and Prester John like this.
  11. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    @hamsco This one's for you Scott. 20190414_195935-666x1167.jpg

12. hamsco

hamsco Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2015
    @joeradza Nice. My kinda blade. I see you made it back south.

13. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    When I was there yesterday, they said they now distribute to 49 states. I believe Hawaii is the exception.

dannyp likes this.
  14. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    Oh, I love the sound of that: "eternal tap"!

15. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    Thanks, Dwight. They're pretty generous. I've toured the Lone Star Brewery when they were in San Antonio (what's called Lone Star now is NOT the same--can't drink it), and the Anheuser-Busch brewery in St. Loius. I think they both charged an entrance fee and gave you two small samples. So free admission and four 7-oz. samples is awesome!
    And I like that the knife is not just a souvenir: it's a user. Opened a bottle of wine with it tonight. And picked my teeth with the toothpick. And broke down a cardboard box. And then shaved some arm hair! :)

16. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Yep, their logo is pretty cool too. Here's a promotional bottle opener they gave away at a nearby canoe race I was in:

[​IMG]

I'll bet that guy carries a nice old fashioned slipjoint with a corkscrew

Cambertree, zolthar, JohnDF and 3 others like this.
  17. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Great photos, Vince! Thanks for sharing! (And how could you not buy that knife?! :D)

I have an uncle who lives up near Bryan/College Station. A couple years back I went to visit him for a week or so, and while I was there we visited New Republic in College Station and Saint Arnolds and Karbach in Houston. We were going to try to make it down to Shiner, but didn't end up getting to.

:eek: ;) :D

Prester John likes this.
  18. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    As in
    My old mans dustman
    E wears a dustmans at
    E wears gor blimey trousers
    And lives in a council flat...

Its amazing the kind of useless sludge that lurks in ones memory....mine anyway.

19. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010

:eek: Yikes - busy day. I hope you ended all that effort with a Bock Break :thumbsup:

Ray

Prester John likes this.
  20. r redden

r redden Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 23, 2015
    That was great Kevin my favorite and IMO the top fingerpicker in the world is Andy McKee the first video is him playing my favorite song he plays the second is him playing one of those guitar/harp hybrids.

veitsi_poika and Prester John like this.