"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

J jackknife Those Magellan fishing shirts look just the job:cool: Comfortable but sharp looking and not sloppy:thumbsup: Damn but can't get them in Europe:thumbsdown: or at least Amaz won't send 'em here:mad:

I guess the fashion police will get me, as I'm a violator of "gown up dress mode."

I used to be the black T-shirt and jeans guy. Summer was black T-shirt and jean shorts, while winter was black T-shirt under flannel shirt and jeans. Al this changed a few years ago. Not long after moving to Texas, and attending the neighborhood mens 'old fart breakfast' every Thursday morning, I got to know Jerry. Jerry is the neighbor across the street of our little over 55 court. Jerry was a retired salesman and native Austinite who was a super passionate fisherman. Fresh water, salt water, creek or Gulf of Mexico, didn't matter. His favorite stores were Bass Pro and Academy Sports. We got to know each other well, and went fishing very often. We did fishing on the banks of the San Gabriel River, Lake Georgetown, Lake Travis, Canyon Lake, and even he Gulf Of Mexico.

Jerry lived in Magellan fishing shirts. No T-shirts for this guy. After a while I noticed that Jerry always looked soooo comfy. He told me to go get some Magellan fishing shirts. I got a few to try out. Then I got a few more. Then I bought a few more just in case. Now, from march to when it gets to winter here about November, I live in Magellan fishing shirts and Wrangler jean shorts. For the very brief winter we have here in Texas, the fishing shirts get replaced by the black T-shirt and flannel shirts and jeans. I've been converted. Just as soon as the weather warms up a bit in early march, the fishing shirts get worn again. I love the pockets.

A few days ago we had Jerry's grave side service, as per his own request. Keep it simple he told his wife Patsy. She did. And everyone who was at the funeral, family, friends, neighbors, even the preacher, wore Magellan fishing shirts in honor of Jerry's casual attire. Not a single tie in sight anywhere. Jerry was laid to rest in Magellan fishing shirt and Wrangler shorts. After 82 years of passionate fishing it had to be that way.

So for 9 1/2 months of the year, Magellan fishing shirts, Wrangler jean shorts, and Keen sandals for me. My T-shirt, jeans and sneakers days are past.
Speaking of fashion police, when my wife and I got married we wore our ugly Christmas Packer sweaters LoL

20200615_213613.jpg

I got this direct message tonight out of the blue... Another example of what makes The Porch so special :)

"Hi Kevin,

This probably seems like a message completely out of the blue, and I suppose it is, but I posted in the @Let's see your scout/camp knives' a fair while ago (about 2 years) about my mum's old scout knife and you replied.

It shames me that I never said thanks for your reply and the info you gave. It was a bit of a flaky period for me but I'm trying to be better now and acknowledge and give thanks where it's due, so thank you very much and my apologies for taking so long to get back to you.

The Stainless Cutlery Co knife you posted is a beauty, really great bone on it and fantastic condition!

Thank you for taking the time to help with identifying the maker of my mum's knife, and with all the background info around scout knives of the time, it was very kind of you.

Apologies again for not replying at the time.

Thanks again and best wishes."

The porch is certainly the most genteel place on the internet that I've run across.
UFKpSXF.jpg

"But why, Jason?"
"Well, that's so, if you spill your tea, you'll have one finger that isn't scalded."
Paraphrase from the Pygmalion episode of Here Come the Brides.
"That makes sense, Jason. See I just need to know why."

OK, thanks, Kevin!!
Why am I looking at masks like I want one of each??o_O
It's the collector gene run wild I tell ya!!:eek:

Stormy Kromer was a railroader up in the UP. Those flaps were meant to keep his hat on in the turbulent air between the engine and the coal tender. They used to come only in black. For a while it was a cottage industry and they expanded their lineup of colors. Now I think the biz is owned by some fashion-merchandising conglomerate. They make a wide range of colors and patterns.

Some people do collect them. I have four or five. Maybe it’s a collection, or maybe I just like to rotate them because they get sweaty and need to dry out. In Minnesota, Wisconsin and the UP, winter can be the hottest season of the year. If you do not manage the sweat, you can take a chill.

I'm becoming disenchanted with Llamaland. Yesterday they said my folding chair was arriving today, which would have been the two-day delivery as advertised. Today my folding chair is arriving on Friday.
I should have gotten one with a parasol anyway.

I'm becoming disenchanted with Llamaland. Yesterday they said my folding chair was arriving today, which would have been the two-day delivery as advertised. Today my folding chair is arriving on Friday.
I should have gotten one with a parasol anyway.

I share your frustration Jer o_O :thumbsup:

I guess I used to have a Stormy Kromer hat, too, just didn't know it. Mine had a compass embroidered on the front, which I thought was pretty funny. But the flaps sure worked better than a scarf.
I had something similar once, but it looked more like a British flatcap than a baseball cap. Those flaps were nice when I had to ride my bicycle in the cold.

Back