"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Jul 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. dantzk8

dantzk8

Nov 1, 2005
    You have to know that a reproach is often made to me. It's often difficult to know if what I am saying is serious or a joke. The truth is that I don't know either.
    However I am almost sure that what I wrote about sneakers, jeans and even T-shirts was a joke. I don't pay so much attention to the way people dress.
    Although ... Sometimes, maybe ... I should.

Forgive me, I'm afraid I can't correct myself.

Dan.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  2. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    I therefore deem it appropriate to levy the full weight of the law upon you for your fashioncrime!
    I hereby sentence you to the wearing of the skinny jeans with designer rips and paint splashes! A further term of Reebok pumps to be served concurrently with a fluoro vomit print sleeveless t shirt...your hair will be styled by the prison barber until you appear to be wearing a scrawny poodle on your head... and may God have mercy on your soul.
    Take him away!

Student762, r redden, btb01 and 3 others like this.
  3. dantzk8

dantzk8

Nov 1, 2005
    For the clothes your sentence is somewhat harsh. Any international court of justice would lighten the sentence significantly and recommend a tailor in London.
    For the haircut, no luck, it's my style. You should have considered this possibility. Meako, you're a bad attorney. With all due respect.

Dan.

Prester John, RayseM and meako like this.
  4. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    It's simple: people should wear what suits them and choose accordingly, problem is most people follow some kind of 'trend' irrespective of its aesthetic pitfalls...e.g. pyjamas or 'sports' clothes on the less than sporty physique:eek:

If you want some tips about clothing etiquette...look no further than the store robbery scene in The Enforcer...Clint did not dress in a shambles and disliked his best sports coat getting grimy....;)can't include the clip as it contains certain common words that transgress current rules:D look for the dude who later on appeared in Hill Street Blues, but then Clint was always SHARP and few people could carry off wearing a poncho and still be macho ;):cool:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  5. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Not quite my idiom, but too nice to pass up at $12.
    [​IMG]
    I went out without a magnifier, and couldn't read the stamp till I got it home.
    [​IMG]
    Also $12, from the same shelf in the same case:
    [​IMG]
    not much to read on this one:
    [​IMG]

6. meako

Sep 4, 2006
    Order ORDERRR!
    any more interjections about olden days fashion and Ill have you all for contempt of my stylish court...or maybe you like wearing the tartan lederhosen with leopard print safari suit jacket...

7. dantzk8

dantzk8

Nov 1, 2005
    Meako,
    Do you really live, as it has been said to me, head upside down in the southern hemisphere? I ask that because it would explain many things.

Dan.

meako, Prester John and r8shell like this.
  8. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    It's okay. :cool: I'm defensive because I avoid wearing "grown-up clothes" as much as possible.
    It's an injustice that women's fashions are so uncomfortable. I have zero sympathy for men who complain about having to wear ties.
    "Oh, you don't like that little strip of cloth? :( Let me just put on hosiery, and high heels, and garments with false pockets to lend a shoulder to cry on...":rolleyes:
    :D
    Great finds, congrats!

9. jackknife

jackknife Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 2, 2004
    I guess the fashion police will get me, as I'm a violator of "gown up dress mode."

I used to be the black T-shirt and jeans guy. Summer was black T-shirt and jean shorts, while winter was black T-shirt under flannel shirt and jeans. Al this changed a few years ago. Not long after moving to Texas, and attending the neighborhood mens 'old fart breakfast' every Thursday morning, I got to know Jerry. Jerry is the neighbor across the street of our little over 55 court. Jerry was a retired salesman and native Austinite who was a super passionate fisherman. Fresh water, salt water, creek or Gulf of Mexico, didn't matter. His favorite stores were Bass Pro and Academy Sports. We got to know each other well, and went fishing very often. We did fishing on the banks of the San Gabriel River, Lake Georgetown, Lake Travis, Canyon Lake, and even he Gulf Of Mexico.

Jerry lived in Magellan fishing shirts. No T-shirts for this guy. After a while I noticed that Jerry always looked soooo comfy. He told me to go get some Magellan fishing shirts. I got a few to try out. Then I got a few more. Then I bought a few more just in case. Now, from march to when it gets to winter here about November, I live in Magellan fishing shirts and Wrangler jean shorts. For the very brief winter we have here in Texas, the fishing shirts get replaced by the black T-shirt and flannel shirts and jeans. I've been converted. Just as soon as the weather warms up a bit in early march, the fishing shirts get worn again. I love the pockets.

A few days ago we had Jerry's grave side service, as per his own request. Keep it simple he told his wife Patsy. She did. And everyone who was at the funeral, family, friends, neighbors, even the preacher, wore Magellan fishing shirts in honor of Jerry's casual attire. Not a single tie in sight anywhere. Jerry was laid to rest in Magellan fishing shirt and Wrangler shorts. After 82 years of passionate fishing it had to be that way.

So for 9 1/2 months of the year, Magellan fishing shirts, Wrangler jean shorts, and Keen sandals for me. My T-shirt, jeans and sneakers days are past.

10. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Nice finds Jer :cool: :thumbsup:

:eek:

scrteened porch likes this.
  11. JB in SC

JB in SC Basic Member Basic Member

May 19, 2001
    @jackknife

No sandals for me, too easy to trip stumble or fall (especially if drinking). I like fishing type shirts with square hems, that’s a little dressy though :)

12. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    I went to a funeral where the deceased was buried in a Dallas Cowboys jersey. The pallbearers wore them too. And the priest officiating declared that he was a 49er's fan.

veitsi_poika and meako like this.
  13. r redden

r redden Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 23, 2015
    Meako my friend you're mind works like the clinically insane but you could enter the standup comedy arena and become and be an instant success so don't ever change.
    I'll keep my eye open for your HBO Comedy Special. :D:D:D

14. meako

Sep 4, 2006
    @dantzk8
    Yes mate as a matter of fact I do.
    Bear in mind though that global time standards put Aussies in front of the rest of the world*....so therefore the fashions of our today are the fashions of your tomorrow...
    Now where did I put my Stubby shorts, wifebeater singlet and thongs( plastic open toe sandals not underwear)...might need a beanie as well or a terry towelling hat in summer....:confused::D

*NZ not included due to being at least 20 years behind.

15. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Thanks for the update on your surgery, Charlie; amazing that you're home already! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
    I'll pray that your recovery is quick and complete.
    But I have reservations about Jeff's supportive message. Isn't it possible that the repetitive motions of coon-fingering brought on your carpal tunnel problems in the first place?? :rolleyes::eek:

- GT

veitsi_poika, meako and waynorth like this.
  16. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    It could be, GT!! Never connected that repetitive motion with it!!o_O
    Ah well, I think I will risk it!!:p It never seems to bother the raccoons around here!!:D

meako, black mamba and Prester John like this.
  17. r redden

r redden Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 23, 2015
    Yea Carl I'm outside the acceptable mode of dress myself with 6 years of daily steroids I left my 210-215 pound body in 2014 and now sport 285 pounds. Then there's the 9 surgeries on my abdomen and a permanent colostomy that work in unison to stop the wearing of a belt in it's track, oh yea they cut my belly button out too. These days I'm relegated to jogging pants.

Here's a picture of one of my high fashion outfits.

[​IMG]

18. meako

Sep 4, 2006
    Good on you Randy..now let the geetar do the talkin' ...but first lets look at some guitarist style dress sense and fashion...evil chortling...Im having a field day:D:D:D:p:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]
    LSD is no excuse ever.
    [​IMG]
    No Hank! This look was never cool.
    [​IMG]
    And as for this ....heavy metal morris dancing?....oh please!how tacky.
    You think these guys never wear tracky dacks on their days off?
    Cheers..

19. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    :D :thumbsup:

meako likes this.
  20. jackknife

jackknife Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 2, 2004
    Teva, or Keen sport sandals are very stable for hiking, jogging, or whatever. Don't go cheap no-name and you'll be fine. Remember, the Roman legions conquered the known world in them and the Viet Cong kept us running around in circles wearing them. Easy to track though, they kept leaving B.F. Goodrich tracks all over the jungle!o_O

meako, r redden, veitsi_poika and 3 others like this.