"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Also it occurred to me yesterday when I was taking the bandana off between towns, that I might be putting it on backwards with any cooties it had screened now on the inside.
Remember, the cloth mask doesn't keep you from getting Cooties, it helps keep you from GIVING Cooties

No, I think it does both.
Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in the United States has recently recommended everyone wear a (cloth) mask.
However, this is to prevent infected people passing on the infection, not to prevent the wearer getting infected.

I'm not saying it won't help, it's just not a preventative.
Besides, it's a great physical reminder not to touch your face. :)

Last edited:
Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in the United States has recently recommended everyone wear a (cloth) mask.
However, this is to prevent infected people passing on the infection, not to prevent the wearer getting infected.

I'm not saying it won't help, it's just not a preventative.
Besides, it's a great physical reminder not to touch your face. :)
I just bought a 10-pack of Hanes underwear masks, so I can switch when I've touched one with non-sterile hands.

I was looking through old knife pictures today and found this one of an Opinel Raw Handle knife I had. Seems that I gave it to someone before I attempted carving it. I think I'll buy another one and try again. Have any of you ever carved one of these?

Whe2iKY.jpg

So yesterday was the celebration of my 70 years on this planet, my birthday.
I guess I'm officially old. I honestly don't know where the years have gone,but I'll be happy to have as many as the Good Lord allows me.
We had a small celebration at my youngest son's home with my wife, 2 sons, 2 grandsons, a great grand daughter and my daughter in law.
It was the first time since the pandemic started that we had been in their home. We had a great visit and I got a few gifts.
My youngest son got me a baseball cap from Suny Cortland where he's a professor. My oldest son got me this mini Copperhead in vintage stag. Although the stag is rather anemic, as Case's stag seems to be, I'll treasure this little knife.
2zm0tBC.jpg

I was looking through old knife pictures today and found this one of an Opinel Raw Handle knife I had. Seems that I gave it to someone before I attempted carving it. I think I'll buy another one and try again. Have any of you ever carved one of these?

Whe2iKY.jpg
I saw some pictures of those a while back and have been tempted to give it a try. Such a cool concept.
I guess I'm officially old. I honestly don't know where the years have gone,but I'll be happy to have as many as the Good Lord allows me.
We had a small celebration at my youngest son's home with my wife, 2 sons, 2 grandsons, a great grand daughter and my daughter in law.
It was the first time since the pandemic started that we had been in their home. We had a great visit and I got a few gifts.
My youngest son got me a baseball cap from Suny Cortland where he's a professor. My oldest son got me this mini Copperhead in vintage stag. Although the stag is rather anemic, as Case's stag seems to be, I'll treasure this little knife.
2zm0tBC.jpg
Happy Birthday!!!

2zm0tBC.jpg
Happy Birthday, Gary! Sounds like it was a good one.

2zm0tBC.jpg
Happy Birthday Gary. 70 I remember it well. Lol

Peregrin Peregrin sounds like an appealing day, good to see the family and getting worshipped :cool:

Since you like Dr Johnson here's another of his witticisms to contemplate, on ageing " Let us drink water Sir, and put in for a hundred! " Maybe something with the water though;):D

2zm0tBC.jpg

A belated Happy Birthday, and many, many happy returns Gary :) It sounds like you had a great day my friend :) :thumbsup:

2zm0tBC.jpg
A belated Happy Birthday, Gary!! I'm happy for you, (and a little envious!!) that you got to have a family get-together!!
Some nice meaningful gifts, along with your family time!! Congrats young man!!:D

Peregrin Peregrin sounds like an appealing day, good to see the family and getting worshipped :cool:

Since you like Dr Johnson here's another of his witticisms to contemplate, on ageing " Let us drink water Sir, and put in for a hundred! " Maybe something with the water though;):D

This made me go back and look for a quote from Dr. Johnson, which I found at last, nearly invisible to me in blue ink. If you are familiar with Dr. Johnson, it would probably belabor the obvious ro recall his much retold exchange with a lady of his acquaintance who crossed his path as he lurched out of a tavern. But just in case:

“Why, Dr. Johnson, your member is sticking out.”

“You flatter yourself, Madam. It’s hanging out.”

This made me go back and look for a quote from Dr. Johnson, which I found at last, nearly invisible to me in blue ink. If you are familiar with Dr. Johnson, it would probably belabor the obvious ro recall his much retold exchange with a lady of his acquaintance who crossed his path as he lurched out of a tavern. But just in case:

“Why, Dr. Johnson, your member is sticking out.”

“You flatter yourself, Madam. It’s hanging out.”
Sounds Churchillian! :D

Back