"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

We romanticize youth, but what is it really? Near idiocy, a series of low comic disasters...
I probably alluded to this Cary Grant line from Monkey Business the last time somebody had a birthday.

I just hope we never get old enough to want to salve our senescent souls by denigrating youth!:D

Last edited:
Au contraire, mon frère. You are now officially "a sage".
And may we enjoy your wisdom for many more years.

Frank, I will wear the Sage title proudly, although I'm not sure I fit the classical definition of a "sage"! I don't have a beard to stroke as I ponder the mysteries of the universe.

Happy Birthday, America!
r3ZaS0F.jpg

Nice holiday meal today. My wife wanted ribs and I wanted hot dogs (Nathan's, of course):
nMsewEy.jpg

The ribs turned out well. I had another one after I finished the one pictured. Hot dog is Nathan's, Texas Butter Krust bun, mustard, dill relish, onion, Wolf Brand Chili (no beans!), and cheddar cheese. Home made potato salad too.

Appetizer was guacamole. You can make it with just avocado and some tomato and a little salt, but I like to add onion, jalapeño, garlick, and black pepper too:
x0zaTtE.jpg

Just mix the ingredients together and serve on tortilla chips:
Q4KJDFM.jpg

Yum, yum!

Washed down with beer, naturally.
8vAk7H0.jpg

Cheers!

Nice holiday meal today. My wife wanted ribs and I wanted hot dogs (Nathan's, of course):
nMsewEy.jpg

The ribs turned out well. I had another one after I finished the one pictured. Hot dog is Nathan's, Texas Butter Krust bun, mustard, dill relish, onion, Wolf Brand Chili (no beans!), and cheddar cheese. Home made potato salad too.

Appetizer was guacamole. You can make it with just avocado and some tomato and a little salt, but I like to add onion, jalapeño, garlick, and black pepper too:
x0zaTtE.jpg

Just mix the ingredients together and serve on tortilla chips:
Q4KJDFM.jpg

Yum, yum!

Washed down with beer, naturally.
8vAk7H0.jpg

Cheers!
Looks good, Vince! That'd make me crank up the grill if I hadn't just eaten dinner.

o3IZR4o.jpg

Its become a thing with me on the 4th of July to put a flag on my Ol' Ford truck and basically just drive around waving Ol'Glory hopefully uplifting some people along the way. Well last year I mounted my flag and took off, and the longer I drove the more down in the dumps I became. It seemed no one else cared, there wasn't even that many flags on display in people's yards. I make a big circuit and hit a couple bigger towns and a couple small ones, plus the general communities I pass through. Right when I was the most down and decided to head back home I spotted a late 90's Chevy racing up behind me on the 4 lane highway. As it pulled along side I see two guys with cowboy hats on grinning like like they won the lottery, on the back of their ol Chevy was Ol'Glory streaming out big and proud! We gave each other big thumbs up and down the road went separate ways. But I FELT better knowing at least two guys felt like I did. Well yesterday I mounted my flagpole,made ready and this morning took off. On my way to Goldsboro North Carolina, about 20 minutes away along the back roads. Well well whats that over there, its a big green John Deere planting with the flag flying from the cab! Then after riding around Goldsboro and stopping at an antique mall to buy a knife hit highway 70 towards Lagrange NC. Well outside of Goldsboro at a gas station theres a Toyota over there at the pumps, yep, the flag flying from a pole in the bed. Closer on to Kinston NC I go and over on the other side goes a Jeep wrangler with TWO flags flying from the rollbars! Much waving and thumbs up! On into Lagrange I go and well this is really cool leaving Lagrange as I roll in is another Ford, the flag flying proud, again arms out the windows giving the big thumbs up! After stopping for lunch I roll on into Kinston and drive right through the middle of town. On to the public park where the fishing ponds are and made a circuit around them getting waves and thumbs along the way. Then to really cap it off as I headed on home I passed a another ol Chevy, flag streaming out behind, a different one from last year, but with a last wave and another thumbs up I headed home. Not trying to be political, but it felt good that even in these times of turmoil it seems that people are proud to be American and proud of our flag. At least in my part of it. I Hope all our American friends here had a great 4th, I did even though I'm far from most of my family. I don't feel bad to have spent the holiday mostly alone,well thats not true at all I spent it with all my fellow Americans. And I hope that if only one person seeing that flag flying on my old truck made them feel good it was a day well spent. Happy 4th y'all

o3IZR4o.jpg

Its become a thing with me on the 4th of July to put a flag on my Ol' Ford truck and basically just drive around waving Ol'Glory hopefully uplifting some people along the way. Well last year I mounted my flag and took off, and the longer I drove the more down in the dumps I became. It seemed no one else cared, there wasn't even that many flags on display in people's yards. I make a big circuit and hit a couple bigger towns and a couple small ones, plus the general communities I pass through. Right when I was the most down and decided to head back home I spotted a late 90's Chevy racing up behind me on the 4 lane highway. As it pulled along side I see two guys with cowboy hats on grinning like like they won the lottery, on the back of their ol Chevy was Ol'Glory streaming out big and proud! We gave each other big thumbs up and down the road went separate ways. But I FELT better knowing at least two guys felt like I did. Well yesterday I mounted my flagpole,made ready and this morning took off. On my way to Goldsboro North Carolina, about 20 minutes away along the back roads. Well well whats that over there, its a big green John Deere planting with the flag flying from the cab! Then after riding around Goldsboro and stopping at an antique mall to buy a knife hit highway 70 towards Lagrange NC. Well outside of Goldsboro at a gas station theres a Toyota over there at the pumps, yep, the flag flying from a pole in the bed. Closer on to Kinston NC I go and over on the other side goes a Jeep wrangler with TWO flags flying from the rollbars! Much waving and thumbs up! On into Lagrange I go and well this is really cool leaving Lagrange as I roll in is another Ford, the flag flying proud, again arms out the windows giving the big thumbs up! After stopping for lunch I roll on into Kinston and drive right through the middle of town. On to the public park where the fishing ponds are and made a circuit around them getting waves and thumbs along the way. Then to really cap it off as I headed on home I passed a another ol Chevy, flag streaming out behind, a different one from last year, but with a last wave and another thumbs up I headed home. Not trying to be political, but it felt good that even in these times of turmoil it seems that people are proud to be American and proud of our flag. At least in my part of it. I Hope all our American friends here had a great 4th, I did even though I'm far from most of my family. I don't feel bad to have spent the holiday mostly alone,well thats not true at all I spent it with all my fellow Americans. And I hope that if only one person seeing that flag flying on my old truck made them feel good it was a day well spent. Happy 4th y'all
Well said, David. I didn't go anywhere today, but I got up early to put my flag up. Lots of my neighbors did the same. :thumbsup:

So yesterday was the celebration of my 70 years on this planet, my birthday.
I guess I'm officially old. I honestly don't know where the years have gone,but I'll be happy to have as many as the Good Lord allows me.
We had a small celebration at my youngest son's home with my wife, 2 sons, 2 grandsons, a great grand daughter and my daughter in law.
It was the first time since the pandemic started that we had been in their home. We had a great visit and I got a few gifts.
My youngest son got me a baseball cap from Suny Cortland where he's a professor. My oldest son got me this mini Copperhead in vintage stag. Although the stag is rather anemic, as Case's stag seems to be, I'll treasure this little knife.
2zm0tBC.jpg
I should pop into the Lounge more often, happy belated birthday! It is funny how the years seem to shoot by! When I was 21, 41 seemed a very long time away, now that I'm 41 it seems 21 was just yesterday. And at this time in my life people in their 70s don't seem all that old and 20 year olds seem like children still.

I should pop into the Lounge more often, happy belated birthday! It is funny how the years seem to shoot by! When I was 21, 41 seemed a very long time away, now that I'm 41 it seems 21 was just yesterday. And at this time in my life people in their 70s don't seem all that old and 20 year olds seem like children still.
Thanks David. With age comes wisdom.;)

This one is from last year. My boy’s annual Independence Day party, canceled this year for reasons of public health. The flag went up this year, though, but no crowd shots. It always draws a few comments from passers-by. There are always a few flag etiquette nerds who stop to grouse. “Okay, do you want to be the guy to cut a couple feet off the bottom?” Nobody has taken the proffered scissors. The flag is well lit. Most of the photo ops are night shots. Quite a few more stop to offer congratulations. The neighborhood is full of appreciative patriots from the left and the right as well.
AAA66AC2-7691-4CFD-8D15-3A35E822B2E6.jpeg

Back