"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

That's me! Good eye Will, good eye. Except at this: i do know what stainless is, the best steel for shiny wheel covers.

Dan.

:D:D:D:eek::cool:

Wheel covers/hubcaps.....?? might've been on the Ark if it had wheels;) You should check my 20" anthracite alloys, stunnaz;)

I made the roasted ratatouille, except I didn't roast it.
be0h9gC.jpg

Too hot for the oven, which was the only vessel big enough to spread it all out to roasting thinness. So I simmer/steamed it in the electric kettle, in the diced tomato liquid and a bit of water till it was just moist. It wanted different spices than I usually use, so it was a pleasant departure.

I've just went through what seemed like everything I own crapping out the last 2 or 3 weeks. First my camera then me I got really sick and finally my laptop kinda. My granddaughter decided to go back to school and pursue aa MBA and she needed a laptop and I had a fairly new Lenovo laptop so put a ton of stuff on thumb drives, did a factory reset and gave it to her. I then grabbed my old Laptop used it four days when smoke started to arise from it and it died graveyard dead. Now I have a new HP with a terrabyte HD which should be more than plenty for recording.
Playing with my new camera and my blade ship.
0dfGSBJ.jpg

Recent discussions on the 33 thread made me raise an eyebrow. Some are happy with the limited number released (usually those having got one), other are less happy (maybe those who arrived too late).

It is difficult to see a company (and further more in these hard-to-business days) producing only a percentage of the quantity that could sell in larger numbers without even lowering price or quality... Most companies seek such an opportunity to raise cash!

"If someone knew that there would be Conductors on store shelves for the next year, they probably wouldn’t buy one now." This is def not a good statement as 99,9% of knives sold are bought by collectors to be collected and only a few are bought to be used. There are tons of good unexpensive knives on the market for strictly working purposes.

When I joined BF some dealers had still 2012' and later "15"s. I whish I could have bought them all but this clearly was beyond my financial possibilities. Nevertheless I bought some later and was very happy of it (and the seller as well). Today all are gone.
In the old times -and to my eyes GEC products belong to old times- quality products would sometime stand on the shelf but shops were confident they would sell. Even for patterns selling less quickly I have yet to see a discount. This can also allow to take some (limited) risks.

I lived in 3rd world countries where you meet merchants closing their doors when they think they have sold enough for the day. But this is clearly not the case at GEC's. They are not inclined to lazyness or lack of foresight.
When they announced they would make no more SFO, average Joe buyer could accept and understand it as keeping all the company's forces for home products. ie more home products, not the just same number as pre-SFOs... so, what? :(

With the recent changes at GEC and in particular the 33 frenzy, it is true that in former times some patterns would sit around for a while and you might be able to get hold of one with patience. So, those times may have changed but I think there is correlation between this and the mimicry voices you now often hear on pattern threads incessantly chattering on about the buying process: I got mine, where? when do they drop, they sold out in 2.37 seconds, I don't know about this pattern but must have one, there's 3 available....:poop: All FOMO and possibly anxieties about picking up Flipped profits...IF they piped down a bit there'd be less faux demand, less hysteria, but this chatter fuels it and gives Mods a patience testing waste of time :thumbsdown:

I wish some people; for instance those who recently rushed to commit to a Forum Knife; some of whom may be indulging in FOMO chatter about GECs would get on with their buying pledge as fast;)

Maybe if they made more we'd expect them to cost less, and if they started to cost less we'd think they aren't so great.

No reason for this picture. I was going to keep it in reserve for a lambsfoot thread emergency, but I like how the handle glows and couldn't wait.
fiClA8y.jpg

What my immigrant from London grandparents were doing with a pair of Mexican pots on their mantel I don't know. I doubt they ever went to Mexico, but maybe they found these in Florida when Grampa was a constable down there, before Arthur Godfrey popularized Florida real estate.

Maybe if they made more we'd expect them to cost less, and if they started to cost less we'd think they aren't so great.

No reason for this picture. I was going to keep it in reserve for a lambsfoot thread emergency, but I like how the handle glows and couldn't wait.
fiClA8y.jpg

What my immigrant from London grandparents were doing with a pair of Mexican pots on their mantel I don't know. I doubt they ever went to Mexico, but maybe they found these in Florida when Grampa was a constable down there, before Arthur Godfrey popularized Florida real estate.
Who wants GEC to replace GMC? :)

fiClA8y.jpg

Nice pic Jer! :D And back-story :) :thumbsup:

Thanks. And no toes in frame for a change!

Jer, the quality of the pictures you're posting has risen steadily, over the past year or so.

The quality of your prose remains high.

I haven't posted a picture for many months. The coal chute, or boiler (?) broke on my iPad 2, and gone for me are the days of effortless picture posting. Arghhh...

A Riddle for y'all. (no, not a Tom Riddle)
What English word is always spelled wrong, even when it is spelled correctly?
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
Give up?
"Wrong" :)
Do you know the only English word with three consecutive identical consonants?

Do you know the only English word with three consecutive identical consonants?
Not off the top of my head. However, I do know the only one that contains a; e; i; o; u; and y :)
In fact, I have unquestionably used it in at least one post, here at BF. :)

Back