"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Jolipapa

Basic Member
WHO STOLE THE CROSSBAR of St Marcellin's (Isère) rugby field ???
Police is working hard, any information welcome. Please contact your local PS who will transmit.
:eek::D:D:D
external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpeg
2865442-59054848-2560-1440.jpg

scrteened porch

Gold Member
Police is working hard, any information welcome. Please contact your local PS who will transmit.
View attachment 1401300
It may have been the guy I saw walking stiff-legged with a pipe down his trouser-leg. But there was a flag on it, so I never suspected a rugby cross-bar.

dantzk8

Basic Member
View attachment 1401300

Someone has stolen a rugby crossbar !
I had the vague feeling something was going wrong in our country JP. Now I know, something really goes wrong.

Dan.

Railsplitter

Gold Member
I was awakened at about 2:50 am this morning by a noise inside my house. I grabbed my pistol and started looking around but I never did see anything. After I was confident that there were no intruders I started a pot of coffee and sat down in my easy chair.

A couple minutes later a Bat flew into the living room where I was sitting. Freaked me out man! That must have been what I heard. I think he was in the bedroom banging up against the walls and that's what woke me up.

I opened the front door and just stood there on the porch with the door wide open. Thank goodness he flew outside about 15 seconds after I opened the door. I guess he wanted out as bad as I wanted him out.

I had no idea how I was going to contain him if opening the door didn't work. My wife slept through the whole thing despite the fact that I turned the bedroom light on looking for intruders.

I'm really glad he was so easy to get rid of. Now I have to figure out how he got in my house and if there are any more in there. I feel like I should be at home doing that right now. Sometimes work just gets in the way.

RayseM

Gold Member
Happened to us one night. The cat made such a ruckus as the bat flew around us over the bed that no one slept through the action. I had to "lead" ( a broom behind as a guide - that in itself was exciting) the bat down the stairs and through 2 doors before it could be safely outdoors again.

I could only assume it had followed me in earlier in the evening. I had just opened and closed the door for a few seconds in either direction. Apparently that was enough.

JohnDF

Gold Member
One evening, while fly fishing the Carson River, my fishing buddy caught a bat when it ate his fly in mid air.
The bat was flying around on the end of his line trying to get away while my buddy was shouting, "I caught a bat, I caught a bat!"
I was laughing so very hard at the sight of it all... until my buddy said, "I don't know why you're laughing, you have to get him loose." :eek:

Henry Beige

Gold Member
In the old days, the instrument of choice was a tennis racket. It usually just stunned the bat so he could be taken outside and released. Sometimes not. Now, do as the OP did, open a door and haze the bat out. Sometimes it goes pretty easily, sometimes not.

I am always happy to see bats outside the house, as they are eating mosquitoes.

Last edited:

Will Power

Gold Member
Bats often roost in the loft of my country place, it's fascinating to see them hawking for insects under the outside lamps or at dusk. Insects love my blood so I revere bats :D

On holiday when I was about 7, with my brothers, we were all staying in a large farm-house of a dairy farm. Plenty of insects ;) Bat got into our bedroom at deep of night, i was awakened by crashing & shouts from my brothers:eek: Before my parents appeared the farmer's daughter a burly girl;) wanted to know what all the noise was about. She told us to shut up and opened the window wide, out flew the bat :thumbsup:

Will Power

Gold Member
Yeah, but you would generally notice a bat sucking blood,;) whereas insects, ticks et al. settle in then start on you later.:eek: I got fleas in a youth hostel in France, ever felt like scratching yourself to death???:poop::eek:

Will Power

Gold Member
Anyway, all you wussies getting scared about a bat-totally harmless- getting into rooms :D Imagine a SNAKE getting into your bedroom at night!!:eek: That's fear ;) Tale of the Speckled Band anyone?:cool:

Prester John

Gold Member
Anyway, all you wussies getting scared about a bat-totally harmless- getting into rooms :D Imagine a SNAKE getting into your bedroom at night!!:eek: That's fear ;) Tale of the Speckled Band anyone?:cool:
Or scorpions. Spent one night of my honeymoon in a cabin in the Texas hill country, and had to constantly watch out for scorpions. I'll take bats anytime!

Will Power

Gold Member
One of my students was giving a presentation and brought along some scorpions her boyfriend had caught in a Libyan desert.:cool: I was fascinated and picked them up with these handling nippers, others in the group were less keen :D I asked her if they are venomous, she said no idea.....arm's length :)

I've held snakes but have to say they un-nerve me in the wild or near the house...It's odd what some are scared of others have no fear. this time of year the garden is full of very large and often strikingly beautiful Dragonflies, many people are totally appalled by them. some people get freaked out by moths, more souls of the night :thumbsup: