"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Student762

Student762

Mar 7, 2014
    Yeah I somehow managed to kill the entire thread's momentum there.

2. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    That's how it feels, but I expect it's a coincidence.

Student762 likes this.
  3. Student762

Student762

Mar 7, 2014
    That's exactly what I tell myself when everyone leaves after I arrive at the party! How did you know?

meako and scrteened porch like this.
  4. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I was going to say, I didn't buy any knives yesterday, but I bought three things I need almost as much: another stick, another uke, and another watch.
    [​IMG]
    But I ordered a knife yesterday. An alox Swiss Army 1.

5. Onebigbill

Onebigbill Gold Member Gold Member

May 21, 2019
    If, by posting this I'm breaking the rules then I'll say I'm sorry about that but I am not sorry for posting this...if that makes any senseo_O I have only been a member of BF for a relatively short time. In that time I was lucky enough to happen upon "Guardians of the Lambfoot". This good fortune has netted me with several new friends, an abiding love of the lambfoot knife, GAWs, and many other benefits. Yes, I have had my mis-steps in posting things incorrectly. With those, I have been reminded to either delete a photo or do something else, etc. by members. To that end I have never felt I was treated unfairly. Quite the opposite in fact. It's very difficult to accept that this pathway has been closed to me and I trust that feeling is shared by many. I am saddened.

Jack Black, put a monumental amount of work into fostering good will amongst many many people including myself. I sincerely hope that I will have the opportunity to continue our fellowship. I encourage all of you to please ask Jack to re-open "Guardians". Please Jack...Say it aint so!:(

donn, Jack Black, tmd_87 and 9 others like this.
  6. Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck Singing along with the voices in my head Gold Member

Nov 24, 2013
    It's sad, but if it's no longer enjoyable for Jack, I can understand his position. This place should be relaxing and fun - it is a hobby after all. If it's causing stress or starting to become work, then I can see how it's become not as much fun for him. He's put his heart in that thread, and I'm proud to call him a friend.

That said, I wouldn't be the only one happy to see the thread come back. It's been one of my favorite threads on the forum and it will be missed.

donn, Jack Black, tmd_87 and 12 others like this.
  7. Wild Willie

Wild Willie Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I'm one of the many that have been floored by Jack's kindness and willingness to share his profound knowledge. I've had the pleasure of exchanging emails with him over the past months since I procured a lambsfoot and became a part time carrier.

It's always amazed me how much time the man must spend keeping caught up. Feels like if you look away for a couple of days then there's no chance. I too can understand shutting things down and taking a step back...

donn, Jack Black, tmd_87 and 9 others like this.
  8. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    My thoughts exactly.

9. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    I have always been on the periphery and never officially a GUARDIAN of the Lambsfoot but I have ALWAYS been impressed with Jack Black - his enthusiasm, his generosity, his steadfastness at starting and maintaining a most wonderful thread - all 2,000 + pages :eek: :thumbsup:

This is a sad day - another spike in the edifice of civility that Jack has embodied in all his posts on BF, which has been shared and practiced by so many others on the PORCH. That the thread has been compromised and that Jack no longer whishes to engage with others not so gracious as he, is understandable. Sadly, I applaud Jack's decision. Thank you Jack for your years of effort on our behalf and in behalf of your beloved Lambsfoot pattern. Please keep your rocker on the PORCH.

donn, Jack Black, mitch4ging and 6 others like this.
  10. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    That's a complete and total bummer, but Jack's reason for closing his thread is valid and nothing is stopping anyone else from opening a new lambsfoot thread.

Jack Black and Wild Willie like this.
  11. babykujo

babykujo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 18, 2020
    I've been lurking and reading Guardians Of The lambsfoot almost every day and have been thinking about getting my very first one due to reading the many pages.
    Sad news first thing in the morning.

12. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    This is going to the lounge, folks. All I ask is that the posts be kept civil.

Jack Black, 1066vik, mrknife and 4 others like this.
  13. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Thank you for the very kind words folks, both here and privately. I took a couple of weeks to think over my decision, and only acted today because things were getting worse rather than better. I appreciate what everyone has said, and I promise to give the matter more consideration, but I come here for the same reasons as everyone else, not to act as a coconut on a coconut-shy because someone is having a bad day, or because they haven't outgrown being a playground bully.

Thanks again.

Jack

donn, tmd_87, 1066vik and 10 others like this.
  14. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    The Guardians thread was certainly one of the best, if not the best, and one of the few I read from beginning to end. I joined when it was near page 400, and went back to read from page one. I don't think I've done that with any others. But I understand Gentleman Jack's reasons.

donn, Jack Black, tmd_87 and 4 others like this.
  15. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I wish them both, "Peace and Long Life."

Jack Black, tmd_87 and Haegar like this.
  16. Haegar

Haegar

Apr 28, 2020
    Jack, I‘ve not been as active as others but enjoy reading the thread very much over the last couple of months. I can understand your reasoning for closing down the thread. Unfortunately I fear that this will cause the same people that were the reason for your decision to give you more grief.

I sincerely hope that given some time things will calm down and you will be able to reopen the thread again an I among many others can enjoy the knives and stories again.

Gerd

Jack Black likes this.
  17. mrknife

mrknife Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2010
    @Jack Black I only saw the lock this morning after seeing that thread. Sorry to see it locked like that since it is such an enduring thread that joins all of us across the pond. Hope to see it reopened some day and the kerfuffle resolved. Until then, stay well Jack.

Jack Black likes this.
  18. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    These are stressful times, and so many people are on edge. If an aspect of the hobby is no longer fun, then take a break. I hope you'll still feel like continuing with discussions of Lambsfoots and other subjects, even if it's in other threads on The Porch.

On a tangent: I looked for an American translation of "coconut on a coconut-shy" and the best I can come up with would be "clown in a dunking booth" I hardly think this should describe a man with over 122,000 likes! ;):D

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  19. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    That is a sentiment that will be shared by all, i can guarantee that, and i DON"T give guarantees. Well said Crazy, if i may call you that.:thumbsup:;)

20. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    [​IMG]:thumbsup: