"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Prayers for all those in harm's way, and recovering.

This year of fires, floods and plague.... I'm trying to keep a sense of humor, but it isn't easy sometimes.
It's Rosh Hashanah, and also Talk Like a Pirate Day, so wear your mask and say, "L'shona Tova, ye mateys!"

YA5R1Q7l.jpg

L'shona Tova shipmate! :thumbsup:

QNno4mm.jpg

More like, “Talk Like a Fictionalized Version of a Pirate as Popularized by Robert Newton’s Portrayal of Long John Silver in Disney’s 1950 Adaptation of Robert Louis Stevenson’s Treasure Island Day.”
Successful candidates for " The Long John Silver Trophy" must be able to:
*Roll eyes
*Squint insanely
*Hop around on one leg convincingly
*Wave cutlass menacingly
*Slosh ale from tankard whilst pretending to be drunk
*Growl the word "AAAAAARRRRRRR! Jim Lad" regularly
*Speak in a West Country accent with incorrect grammar...eg " where be ye treasure ?"
Frock coats ,buckle shoes and Macaws can be supplied on request.
Candidates may post video representations....so we can all have a jolly good laugh.

Decided to display eight of my "hunting knives" (four moose, two trapper, two multi blade folding hunter) and one "survival knife"(a "Demo knife") on my desk's top bookshelf.
Give me something nice to look at, and remind me of "the good old days" when I was able to hunt, fish, and camp. :D

View attachment 1422601
(my old 24 ounce enameled tin coffee cup has been reduced/re-purposed to pen/pencil/miscellaneous holder duty.)

Last edited:
These days there's been more than a reason for a rant. It is also good to say when trains run on time. Last thursday I ordered a pair of Case knives somewher in Knoxville.Was sent by Fedex, which usually works not better than regular PO. For the very reasonable sum of $10.95 the parcel reached my door this morning at 10. 15am!
Hats off this is a true achievement!
Sodbusters_2020.jpg

These days there's been more than a reason for a rant. It is also good to say when trains run on time. Last thursday I ordered a pair of Case knives somewher in Knoxville.Was sent by Fedex, which usually works not better than regular PO. For the very reasonable sum of $10.95 the parcel reached my door this morning at 10. 15am!
Hats off this is a true achievement!
View attachment 1423163
Congrats on a smooth delivery and the cool pair of sodbusters. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
It's also good to hear when the trains are running on time. :)
BTW really nice color on that beautiful blue bone! :cool:

Good stuff JP and rapide!:cool:

My GEC has been getting here since 24 August...13 Sept in Customs in Hki paid the 25% import tax immediately, you now have to pay imports on the POSTAGE costs as well, once you've done the digital dance which took 18 minutes, several bankcodes and SMS verifications then Posti wants a 2.90€ Handling Fee to allow you to have it delivered even though you've paid postage&tax:eek::poop: Knife collecting is getting too expensive for modest me I begin to feel.

But this is the Great Digi Future and Cashless society our masters demand we accept: we do all the digital work & everything costs or needs a permit or code.:thumbsdown:

WHERE'S MY KNIFE?????:mad: ;)

Good stuff JP and rapide!:cool:

My GEC has been getting here since 24 August...13 Sept in Customs in Hki paid the 25% import tax immediately, you now have to pay imports on the POSTAGE costs as well, once you've done the digital dance which took 18 minutes, several bankcodes and SMS verifications then Posti wants a 2.90€ Handling Fee to allow you to have it delivered even though you've paid postage&tax:eek::poop: Knife collecting is getting too expensive for modest me I begin to feel.

But this is the Great Digi Future and Cashless society our masters demand we accept: we do all the digital work & everything costs or needs a permit or code.:thumbsdown:

WHERE'S MY KNIFE?????:mad: ;)
Living on the way from airport to dowtown helped a bit and the lack of business as well, I guess.
No import fees on small parcels here. (until when???)

The recent posts about chicken fried steak reminded me of my grandmother's "Milanesas" growing up in Argentina.
This dish is originally from Milan, Italy.
My mouth is watering now :)

mfC3tJJ.jpg

https://www.tasteatlas.com/milanesa/recipe
Just ordered a milanesa plate at a local Mexican restaurant, Dan. Would have loved to try your grandmother's.
RCUhiyq.jpg

But this wasn't bad. Another local restaurant has a better one.

Just ordered a milanesa plate at a local Mexican restaurant, Dan. Would have loved to try your grandmother's.
RCUhiyq.jpg

Nice Vince :thumbsup:
I wish too I could have them again !
I am going to have to try making them myself at home, from what I remember her doing and with help from you tube :)
Getting a craving now !!!

The recent posts about chicken fried steak reminded me of my grandmother's "Milanesas" growing up in Argentina.
This dish is originally from Milan, Italy.
My mouth is watering now :)

mfC3tJJ.jpg

https://www.tasteatlas.com/milanesa/recipe

RCUhiyq.jpg

Are you talking about the milanese cutlet? I like them with spaghettis. Delicious meal.

Dan.

Back