"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Well now.
We're all legendary historians ....but tell me goodfellowes! Hast thou heard tell of
Clym of the Cleugh ??? a Robin Hoodish character that only my departed Grandmother is the only person to ever mention him...??

LOL! Brilliant :) :thumbsup:

And what? In the name of Gods trousers is a cleugh?

I think it's a Scottish/Northern English variant of clough, but in Yorkshire, it can also apparently mean a sluice-gate on a goit or mill-race:thumbsup:

Well now.
We're all legendary historians ....but tell me goodfellowes! Hast thou heard tell of
Clym of the Cleugh ??? a Robin Hoodish character that only my departed Grandmother is the only person to ever mention him...??
Never heard of him, although I never hung around with your gram very much.
Google has entries for him and a couple of his outlaw buddies, though.

- GT

Google has entries for him and a couple of his outlaw buddies, though.

- GT

Oh yeah! :cool: :thumbsup:

Clym of the Clough (or Cleugh), and William of Cloudesley, three noted outlaws, as famous for their skill in archery in northern England as Robin Hood and his fellows in the Midlands. Clym of the Clough is mentioned in Jonson's The Alchemist, i. ii; and in D'Avenant's The Wits, ii. i. There are ballads on the three outlaws in Percy's Reliques (Adam Bell) and in Child's collection.

meako meako What do they mean "the Midlands", Sheffield isn't in the Midlands?! :confused: o_O :p :D :thumbsup:

Well now.
You got me with that one.

While the outlaws of merry Sherwood recognised no chief but Robin Hood and no foe but the Sheriff of Nottingham, the outlaws of Englewood were under the headship of three famous archers, brothers-in-arms sworn to stand by each other, but not brothers in blood. Their names were Adam Bell, William of Cloudeslee, and Clym of the Cleugh

So you are missing Adam Bell from the list of three.

Seems the whole tale is here: https://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/eng/hml/hml15.htm

Full text is "Hero Myths and Legends of the British Race"

https://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/eng/hml/

Last edited:
Does anyone here know anything about axes/hatchets? My grandson, who is 10 and on the skinny side, would like something for chopping limbs in the woods around his house in Tennessee. For his birthday I gave him a folding saw, which I think is much more practical than an axe, but he still wants a "chopper." Something small enough for him to use won't have much power or real usefulness, but that's what he wants, and that's what gramma wants to get him.

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Does anyone here know anything about axes/hatchets? My grandson, who is 10 and on the skinny side, would like something for chopping limbs in the woods around his house in Tennessee. For his birthday I gave him a folding saw, which I think is much more practical than an axe, but he still wants a "chopper." Something small enough for him to use won't have much power or real usefulness, but that's what he wants, and that's what gramma wants to get him.

A 10 years old boy can't swing an axe, even a boy's axe also called pulp axe, safely. A hatchet, 1or 1,5 lb heavy, would be better. It's a dangerous tool for the legs if not used properly. An adult supervision is required.
For the choice of the hatchet here is a thread which could interest you:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...e-american-canadian-european-hatchet.1755237/

Dan.

I've always been tempted to buy a vintage Marble's "safety axe" on the Bay... so I guess if I were going to select a brand, I would get one from them. I don't know much about them though as far as quality. The #6 is 11-1/2" long and has the safety guard, seems like a good place to start :)

Thanks Dan and Kevin. I agree, the shorter and lighter the better; more controllable and safer. Thanks for the input.
I would have said get him something with a handle long enough to be hard to chop himself with, which might mean a custom handle on a hatchet head. Some say the "boys'" axe is the most dangerous for an adult to use.
You might see if the folks in the axe hatchet tomahawk forum have any ideas.

I would have said get him something with a handle long enough to be hard to chop himself with, which might mean a custom handle on a hatchet head. Some say the "boys'" axe is the most dangerous for an adult to use.
You might see if the folks in the axe hatchet tomahawk forum have any ideas.

I do agree about the handle length for safety consideration but setting a long handle in the small eye of an hatchet is a problem. The solidity of the engagement of the handle in the eye of the hatchet's head may be insufficient and poses other risks to the user. A solution would be to get a slip fit handle (like for tomahawks) but i don't know of a hatchet's head designed this way.
The best is to ask in the axes subforum, there are acknowledged contributors and true experts there and they would give good advices.

Dan.

Back