"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Jul 5, 2010.

1. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Yes, but don't try it too near where a special bus is parked. Thereby hangs a tale.

2. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    If you are lost and interested in getting attention I have found, "A full blown modified stationary panic" as describe by Patrick F. McManus in his superb manual entitled, "A Fine and Pleasant Misery" is your best bet. Basically one runs in a straight line until he or she bounces off a solid object ricocheting in a new direction and continuing on a dead run until careening off the next solid object and so on... I have found this behavior to draw more than enough attention including sometimes the occasional rescue by an ambulance.

CelloDan, meako, veitsi_poika and 2 others like this.
  3. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Oh, I was talking about outdoor magazine/catalogue pics, but it wouldn't work for me there either! :D Zoolander may have 'Blue Steel', I only have 'Psycho' (not smiling) and 'Special Needs' (smiling)! :D :thumbsup:

meako, veitsi_poika, btb01 and 2 others like this.
  4. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Jer @scrteened porch - After I had my surgery for a new jaw last February, they put me on the 13th floor:eek: in room 13:eek: of the hospital for my recovery. I'm still alive and recovered nicely so, I just take whatever comes along now without worry of black cats, walking under a ladder, or spilled salt influencing what I do.:rolleyes::)

5. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    @Jack Black thanks for sharing those photos, I enjoyed them. :thumbsup:

I scrolled through all the photos I’ve taken this year and quickly realized that I didn’t have many like yours that really captured how unusual the year has been. We’ve spent a lot of time at home, and most of the pictures I’ve taken (that aren’t knife pics ;)) have just been of the kids, stuff around the house, etc. If anything, what stands out when I look through my photos from this year is the absence of “interesting” photos. No travel, no taking the kids to fun places, no dining out or drinking at local breweries.

I did come across this photo from a few months back that feels very 2020.

[​IMG]

(I had noticed the jar of pickled eggs on the shelf and jokingly asked Eleanor if we should buy them. That backfired when she became adamant that we actually get them. :rolleyes: :D)

Jolipapa, CelloDan, RLB0414 and 11 others like this.
  6. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I'll have to find that.
    [on its way]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    meako likes this.
  7. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks Barrett, I took a lot more photos, but probably only because, during the first lockdown, I couldn't get out to the countryside :D

2020 was certainly a year when many of us were just 'busy doing nothing' o_O That is a fantastic pic of Eleanor though my friend! :D Did she actually try the pickled eggs??!! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

btb01 likes this.
  8. btb01

Jul 26, 2008
    I was able to talk her out of the pickled eggs, but she definitely would have tried them. She’s a pretty adventurous eater. (Also, she loves pickles and eggs, so I guess the phrase “pickled eggs” sounded pretty good to her.)

meako and veitsi_poika like this.
  9. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    That's good she's adventurous Barrett :cool: But I think I'd rather eat my own thumb! :eek: When I first saw the photo on my phone, I thought Eleanor was just nursing a can of beer! :D When I saw it was pickled eggs, I was horrified! :eek: :D ;) :thumbsup:

10. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    OK, now I'm thinking of pickled eggs!
    When I was younger and single you might occasionally find me occupying a bar stool at the local tavern. They always had a huge glass jar of pickled eggs and another of pickled pigs feet. Pigs feet weren't my thing, but the pickled eggs! :D

11. Chui

Chui Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 10, 2012
    - great pic..! Reminds me of the time when I was a kid and tried a jar of jellied eels. Not good. :eek: :D

Wow, in UK, they’d try fit another line of shelves with aisles that spacious........ that’s real estate over here :D

12. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015

This post, and the whole discussion, rings some bells for me. I eventually outgrew my taste for pigs’ feet, but not pickled eggs. A step up on the bar delicacy scale would be the pickled tongue sandwiches you could find in country taverns in Tuscarawas County, in the Amish country of northwestern Ohio.

13. Just Tom.

Just Tom.

Apr 24, 2019
    Hopefully in a few years we can look back on these pictures and think “I’m so glad we don’t have to wear masks just to go to the store anymore!” and not “Wow, crazy to think we could go out with just a cloth mask on back then! These gas masks are such a pain, and replacement cartridges are so expensive, if you can even find them. No Tyvec suit either I guess, and look at all the food on the shelves!”.

In the latter case, of course, we would be too busy running from zombies or something to spend time musing over old snapshots...

14. veitsi_poika

veitsi_poika Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Over the last year I have a lot of pictures of our cats, of food I cooked, of home projects I've completed, lots of sunsets, lots of birds, pics of the landscaping / flower garden, etc. I think the best picture I have that sums up 2020 in general... it is this one :D

Capture.JPG

15. veitsi_poika

Nov 25, 2016
    This picture I took of my TV was runner-up LoL

MLB.JPG

Cutfinger, redsparrow and btb01 like this.
  16. veitsi_poika

Nov 25, 2016
    This is my best picture of the year :)

Flower.JPG

Cutfinger, Haegar, Jolipapa and 9 others like this.
  17. Headwinds

Headwinds Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 15, 2016
    That reminds me of the time I brought home a can of smoked oysters and opened them while waiting for supper to be ready. My younger daughter (about 12 at the time) asked if she could have some. She proceeded to eat half the oysters. I asked her if she wanted me to buy her some more. She said “No”. I asked “Didn’t you like them?” “Not really.” “You ate half the can.” “I was hungry.”

18. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Didn't take long to find. I think you will enjoy McManus's style, more than one of his short stories is sure to be true LOL reading. Let me know what you think.

scrteened porch likes this.
  19. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    And here was me thinking only the British had cuisine like that! :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

Cutfinger, Jolipapa and btb01 like this.
  20. btb01

Jul 26, 2008
    You certainly wouldn’t catch me eating one! ;) :D

They do like an extra-wide aisle at Walmart. Maybe it’s a consideration for extra-wide customers. :D

Jolipapa likes this.