"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

It took me a day or two but I finally figured out what my New Years resolution is going to be... whenever someone asks me "What did you do today?" instead of saying "Oh not much" or "... same old same old", I'm literally going to tell them everything I did that day in an effort to get them to start asking me different questions. For example, my Mom called me last night and asked "so what all did you get done today?" and I replied "I watched a 7 hour long documentary on World War II and then I cut my hair and showered." o_O To which she replied "7 hours?" and I said "yup." I bet by the end of this week she won't ask me that question anymore. :D

Thank you Gary, worth recording I felt. I'd be interested to see anyone else's photos from 2020. I hope we never see another year like it my friend. Despite all the terrible events, I can't say I didn't enjoy sitting out in my garden during our lovely Spring, enjoying the peace and quiet, and the birdsong, with not a plane to be seen, or a car to be heard :thumbsup:
Is that bird with the orange face one legged?

Is that bird with the orange face one legged?

Like a lot of small song-birds, the Robin regularly stands on one leg, tucking the other up deep into its feathers. It's feathers are quite puffed-up, so it may be cold, which is one of the reasons they stand on one leg. However, it's also possible it does only have one leg :eek: :thumbsup:

Maybe it's the acid content of a lemon,I do not know. But the lemon oil is a great thing to use and it has fantastic cleaning abilities on your handles ,as well as moisturizing it. Sometimes knife makers send me knives to sell that they had on their table from a recent knife show ,with little pricing & ID stickers. Lemon oil hand down is best ( for me anyhow) at getting the glue residue the sticker left behind

interest :thumbsup:

UJ6d3rq.jpg
Excellent group Jack. This one says it all. Like the rest of us even the cat is in lockdown unable to eat his favorite meal.

Maybe it's the acid content of a lemon,I do not know. But the lemon oil is a great thing to use and it has fantastic cleaning abilities on your handles ,as well as moisturizing it. Sometimes knife makers send me knives to sell that they had on their table from a recent knife show ,with little pricing & ID stickers. Lemon oil hand down is best ( for me anyhow) at getting the glue residue the sticker left behind

I usually use lighter fuel for that Vince, works like a charm, even on soft wood, and then evaporates. The lemon oil sounds really interesting, I'll have to see some up when the shops are open again :thumbsup:

Excellent group Jack. This one says it all. Like the rest of us even the cat is in lockdown unable to eat his favorite meal.

Thanks a lot Alan :) Good observation. I was just going indoors after sitting in the garden for a few hours, and had my hands full. The mouse ran in front of me, and into that corner. The cat is my former neighbour's house cat, which for some reason was always wary of me, and when it saw me it stayed behind the fence. Despite what it looks like, the cat hadn't actually seen the mouse I don't think, and was mostly looking at me. I had a lawn chair under my arm, and didn't have my camera on me, but I managed to get my phone out of my pocket to take a few pics. Just before I took the final one the cat put it's head down. The mouse had had enough, but it actually ran up the wall, through the gap in the fence, round the cat, and was off. The cat just looked curious, and a little surprised :rolleyes: Cats don't come much softer than that one, I remember seeing birds taunting it! :D :thumbsup:

Alan's post made me think about the cat but the entire photo essay has me wondering if photo journalism is now or has been at any time your profession Jack?
From the graves to the empty streets to the ominous signs to the masked bandits all very impactful images. But the poor mouse huddled in the corner seemingly in terror of contact with the areas other living creatures shows what we can become if we are not careful. Stay safe but be wise.

Alan's post made me think about the cat but the entire photo essay has me wondering if photo journalism is now or has been at any time your profession Jack?
From the graves to the empty streets to the ominous signs to the masked bandits all very impactful images. But the poor mouse huddled in the corner seemingly in terror of contact with the areas other living creatures shows what we can become if we are not careful. Stay safe but be wise.

I have to plead guilty, but with mitigation ;) I started writing for UK outdoor/climbing/gun/knife magazines at the beginning of the1990's. Immediately I was asked if I could take photos to go with my articles, and during the 90's (when standards were fairly low), I ended up making more money from photography than from my writing! I've had about 300 photos published, maybe more, including many front covers, but I'm actually a pretty clueless photographer, and most of my photos today are taken with a 'point and shoot' camera. My formula is to take a lot of snaps, and hope one of them is useable, and in focus! :D ;) Thank you for your kind words, but if my photos are ever any good it's 90% dumb luck :thumbsup:

Nobody has that much dumb luck, day after day!;)

That's very kind, I do try, but should definitely learn something about photography, and get a better camera. My girlfriend has often offered to buy me a better camera, but I wouldn't even know what I should get, and I like having something small I can fit in my pocket :) :thumbsup:

I have to plead guilty, but with mitigation ;) I started writing for UK outdoor/climbing/gun/knife magazines at the beginning of the1990's. Immediately I was asked if I could take photos to go with my articles, and during the 90's (when standards were fairly low), I ended up making more money from photography than from my writing! I've had about 300 photos published, maybe more, including many front covers, but I'm actually a pretty clueless photographer, and most of my photos today are taken with a 'point and shoot' camera. My formula is to take a lot of snaps, and hope one of them is useable, and in focus! :D ;) Thank you for your kind words, but if my photos are ever any good it's 90% dumb luck :thumbsup:
Thought you may have had some pro experience Jack. Your photos are good! Your "dumb luck" must show up at least 95 percent of the time and you certainly have an artistic eye. Thanks for the formula tip... I'm gonna take more pics.:)

Thought you may have had some pro experience Jack. Your photos are good! Your "dumb luck" must show up at least 95 percent of the time and you certainly have an artistic eye. Thanks for the formula tip... I'm gonna take more pics.:)

Thanks for all your kind words :) :thumbsup:

My formula for getting front covers on outdoor magazines in the 90's (which paid quite well) was to photograph one or two people in the middle distance, who were wearing fairly modern outdoor clothing (which I was in a position to supply as I received loads of it free), and leave enough space round the sides for the editor to post what was in the magazine. It was a winning formula, and anything with snow on sold like hot cakes! If I couldn't get anyone else to fill the shots, I put myself in there, operating my camera with an infra-red remote control, and trying my best to look manly and rugged! :D :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back