"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Go to Wallyworld in the paints and supplies isle and look for Formby's Lemon Oil Treatment. It's a clear bottle with a red cap and is all lemony looking...can't miss it. :) When you use it, it enhances the look of bone and stag. As long as you don't submerge anything in it, it shouldn't hurt a thing. Just a little on your finger and rub it it. It smells good too, kinda like.....lemons.:D

A few days ago when I was sharpening a couple of kitchen knives, I noticed that the Rosewood handles were kind of dull looking. These were knives that Vince (@VCM3) had handled in Rosewood he got from Tony Bose, one was a gift the other a purchase. I had a flash from the past and went looking for a bottle of Formby's Lemon Oil Treatment that I'd purchased about the time the of the quoted post in 2007 ^. Tony Bose (RIP Tony) also recommended using it.
Et54Epi.jpg

I used a little on the Rosewood and it really made them pop, so I put a little on my Lloyd Stag Shadow, with the same results.
WtiD3dt.jpg

I then did a search to see if this Formby's is still available. Much to my surprise I found that it has been discontinued, and a 16 oz bottle is now selling for 75 bucks on the web. :eek: I am flabbergasted!

Here's a link to the 2007 thread if anyone is interested, Lemon Oil ?.

Some might speculate that I have too much time on my hands......... :D

Last edited:
Peregrin Peregrin

It works great on most all natural materials. Tony was a wealth of knowledge, sorely missed.
Tony is truly missed. He was always willing to share his knowledge with any who asked.
I'd used the Formby's on some furniture also. It worked really well. I kind of forgot about it in the back of a closet. Since it's like liquid gold now, I'll be more judicious.

Hey, did I miss the mourning of Dawn Wells? She died a couple days ago, of complications of covid, age 82.

She played Mary Anne in Gilligan's Island, for you post-classical types.

Hey, did I miss the mourning of Dawn Wells? She died a couple days ago, of complications of covid, age 82.

She played Mary Anne in Gilligan's Island, for you post-classical types.
Don't think this qualifies as mourning, but I was thinking of her when I posted this in the Totin' Today thread:
I appreciate your salute to my sowbellies, JJ & @bigfish64 . :)
JJ, I was thinking about why I might prefer your simple Imperial spear/pen EO jigged bone teardrop with bail over a gorgeous abalone Winchester 4-blade sowbelly. Then I read that Dawn Wells, the actress who played Mary Ann on Gilligan's Island, died recently. I think my preference for Mary Ann over Ginger is based on the same factors as my preference for the Imperial in your recently-posted pair! :rolleyes::D:thumbsup:

- GT

@peregrine Gary search Goddards Lemon Oil Furniture Polish or Cabinet Makers Polish...
Also Dunlop makes one....for guitars....
There are Australian made lemon oils ...if you cant get one online let me know and Ill send one.:thumbsup:
I'll check those out. Much appreciated!

I thought I'd post some photos from 2020, not my usual photos from out in the countryside, but from my local neighbourhood, and the usually heaving city centre. They run from just before England's first national lockdown in March to just before Christmas. Hope they're of interest :thumbsup:

EMHDu0b.jpg

TH4bZcF.jpg

UnRJ2nB.jpg

uUJmtIh.jpg

kjvGwL6.jpg

u5AjbOU.jpg

5IBXzH1.jpg

SFwDr8X.jpg

0XXw9XK.jpg

UJ6d3rq.jpg

wkXoQwt.jpg

UhspO2g.jpg

Uffrgl9.jpg

LgsX2Cg.jpg

Interesting pictures, Jack.
I'll add one of my own 2020 adventure pictures...
Stumbled upon this rock down by the river as I was fly fishing.
It was an eerie reminder that everybody was fleeing the cities and trampling the woods.

Well done, Jack! 2020 was a strange, sad year for us all, and you've captured it quite effectively.
Hopefully the New Year will bring a return to some kind of normalcy.

Thank you Gary, worth recording I felt. I'd be interested to see anyone else's photos from 2020. I hope we never see another year like it my friend. Despite all the terrible events, I can't say I didn't enjoy sitting out in my garden during our lovely Spring, enjoying the peace and quiet, and the birdsong, with not a plane to be seen, or a car to be heard :thumbsup:

Back