"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Words to live by! ;) :thumbsup:

Especially when you're looking at a half empty bottle!:(

On another subject, Karen and I have been watching Kevin Shelly's 'Travels By Narrow Boat', and I think I have her 90% convinced to try it. Could be an interesting vacation. It doesn't get that cold in England, right?

Like in southern England?:D

r8shell

Platinum Member
I did make a snow-narwal-man, though.
fF0IQsZ.jpg

Jack Black

Gold Member
Especially when you're looking at a half empty bottle!:(

On another subject, Karen and I have been watching Kevin Shelly's 'Travels By Narrow Boat', and I think I have her 90% convinced to try it. Could be an interesting vacation. It doesn't get that cold in England, right?

Like in southern England?:D

I'm not a 'bottle half empty' guy Carl, I'm a 'BOTTLE HALF EMPTY!!!!' guy! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

Sounds great my friend, as you know, the sun always shines here ;) :thumbsup:

I'm not a 'bottle half empty' guy Carl, I'm a 'BOTTLE HALF EMPTY!!!!' guy! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

Sounds great my friend, as you know, the sun always shines here ;) :thumbsup:

Yes, in my experience, the sun was shining very well on those one or two days out of five. ;)

But in all fairness, it wasn't really rainy like one would think. Before I went, I had everyone telling me that it rains ALL the time in England. So I took my army issue rain coat and sprayed it down with down with Scotch Guard, to the point that I soaked it. Well, it did rain, but it was more like a light misting drizzle. BUT...when the sun came out on that fourth or fifth day, it was the most dazzling brilliant green country side! Unreal! Beautiful!

I've never forgotten what the English country side looked like when the sun came out. It was like a magical transformation.

Jack Black

Gold Member
Yes, in my experience, the sun was shining very well on those one or two days out of five. ;)

But in all fairness, it wasn't really rainy like one would think. Before I went, I had everyone telling me that it rains ALL the time in England. So I took my army issue rain coat and sprayed it down with down with Scotch Guard, to the point that I soaked it. Well, it did rain, but it was more like a light misting drizzle. BUT...when the sun came out on that fourth or fifth day, it was the most dazzling brilliant green country side! Unreal! Beautiful!

I've never forgotten what the English country side looked like when the sun came out. It was like a magical transformation.

Sounds like you picked a good summer to visit Carl! ;) The countryside is certainly very green here - mainly because of all the rain! :D :thumbsup:

waynorth

Dealer / Materials Provider
QUOTE - r8shell, "I did make a snow-narwal-man, though.
fF0IQsZ.jpg
"Nice Narwalsnowman, Rachell" I say longingly!!:rolleyes:
You've had more snow than we have had this season in the coastal Great White North!!:D (Vancouver!)

Old Engineer

Gold Member
I did make a snow-narwal-man, though.
fF0IQsZ.jpg
Not your typical Snowman but a Snowman none the less . As one who is living in Wisconsin and pretty familiar with conditions such as you folks are having , I feel for you . At least we know how to handle the snow up here . We signed up for this and you probably did not . I hope your Electric comes on soon and stay safe my friend .

Harry

r8shell

Platinum Member
Not your typical Snowman but a Snowman none the less . As one who is living in Wisconsin and pretty familiar with conditions such as you folks are having , I feel for you . At least we know how to handle the snow up here . We signed up for this and you probably did not . I hope your Electric comes on soon and stay safe my friend .

Harry
Thank you. I've been lucky, and my power has stayed on so far. If it goes out, I'll be fine. I have lots of blankets, and a gas stove to make coffee and cook. My only worry is keeping the pipes from freezing. As is common around here, a pier and beam foundation with un-insulated plumbing. I'm keeping the taps dripping all night.
The problem is that the energy demands are above production, and ERCOT has ordered rolling blackouts. But they aren't "rolling" because they have shut off power to all areas that don't share circuits with essential services like hospitals, etc. and there's no more nonessential areas of the grid to roll to, so some people haven't had power since 2am.

Our infrastructure isn't built for this.

Henry Beige

Gold Member
-24F when I got up this morning. Had no place in particular to go, so I stayed indoors and in my sweats until about 3:30, by which time it had warmed up considerably, to a high of -2F. As Old Engineer points out, we have figured out how to stay warm. Fleece, down, wool, depending on the temp and how hard you will be working. Often the trick is to dress to shed heat and moisture so the sweat doesn't cool off and chill you when you stop exerting. On a motorbike, you might turn to electrically heated gear, unless you are riding off road, where you might be working as hard as you would on skis or a bicycle.

Moving south does not tempt me at all. If you are cold, you can always add a layer of clothing. If it’s hot, once you are naked, you can go no further.

Will Power

Gold Member
I think it was "California champagne." I can't afford Dom Perignon every day!

But I'm sure it's very good stuff and makes for a festive time :cool:

Have to say at the risk of incurring the wrath of Gallic members, although I'm a big fan of wine (swiller rather than connoisseur:D) I'd much rather have a very good bottle of White or Red than Champagne or sparkling wine, never done much for me. Women go for it though ;):D

bigfish64

Gold Member
Henry Beige Henry Beige Well here we get naked and go further by going into a thing called Sauna which can be 60-90 C rather hotter than anything outdoors :D But then you take an ice cold shower or some maniacs like to dip in a hole in a frozen lake or roll in a snowdrift :cool:

My daughter, some neighbors and I (my wife and son wouldn’t do it!) jumped in our lake on New Year’s Day. There was no ice on the water that day but there had been previously. I really enjoyed it, going to be an annual thing!:)

Okay, its 4 degrees this morning, and even Abby was ready to go home after about 15 minutes of walking. Me, I'm ready for a vacation to Key West!

The so called rolling blackouts have been annoying. Power was out for 2 hours twice yesterday, and then from 7;05 in the evening to 1;30am. Then it was down to 57 degrees in the house. The power went off again at 4am, and came back on about 7am. I'm glad we have those neat little LED emergency lights that run for like 24 hours off of a couple of AA batteries. Power back on now, but who knows for how long.

Being the cynic that I am, I question how the power company deals with 100 plus degree weather and the electric demand for AC, but can't deal with demand for electric for heat????? o_O

Henry Beige Henry Beige , having lived in both climates, I find the heat way easier to deal with. It all depends on the humidity. I've had 103 degree days that I was sitting on the back patio, which is shaded, there was a pleasant breeze, and it wasn't really that bad. I was sitting out there because Karen does not like me to smoke in the house, so I was outside. With the fan on me, and a spray bottle of water to mist myself down, it was downright pleasant. I took my time having a slow pipe, reading a book, and relaxing.

There no way this side of any kind of Hades that I will sit out there right now, no matter how bad I want to have a pipe!:eek:

Oh how I long for some nice tropical evening, a cold vodka tonic in hand, and a nice Dominican cigar!:(

Prester John

Gold Member
Okay, its 4 degrees this morning, and even Abby was ready to go home after about 15 minutes of walking. Me, I'm ready for a vacation to Key West!

The so called rolling blackouts have been annoying. Power was out for 2 hours twice yesterday, and then from 7;05 in the evening to 1;30am. Then it was down to 57 degrees in the house. The power went off again at 4am, and came back on about 7am. I'm glad we have those neat little LED emergency lights that run for like 24 hours off of a couple of AA batteries. Power back on now, but who knows for how long.

Being the cynic that I am, I question how the power company deals with 100 plus degree weather and the electric demand for AC, but can't deal with demand for electric for heat????? o_O

Henry Beige Henry Beige , having lived in both climates, I find the heat way easier to deal with. It all depends on the humidity. I've had 103 degree days that I was sitting on the back patio, which is shaded, there was a pleasant breeze, and it wasn't really that bad. I was sitting out there because Karen does not like me to smoke in the house, so I was outside. With the fan on me, and a spray bottle of water to mist myself down, it was downright pleasant. I took my time having a slow pipe, reading a book, and relaxing.

There no way this side of any kind of Hades that I will sit out there right now, no matter how bad I want to have a pipe!:eek:

Oh how I long for some nice tropical evening, a cold vodka tonic in hand, and a nice Dominican cigar!:(
Amen, Carl! I've sat outside plenty in the heat (100 or more degrees Fahrenheit), but ain't no way I'm sitting outside with a cigar and a drink in 18 degree weather. Or really anything below 60, come to think of it.
Knife content for our mods:
5v9Nk7n.jpg

Pic from summer:
omZPUL8.jpg

Last edited:

btb01

Gold Member
I have gone into the lake through a hole in the ice.

On purpose? :D

I wondered the same thing. Surely it takes more electricity to keep Texas air conditioned in the summer than to keep it warm for a few extra cold days in winter?

Having lived in both Phoenix and Minneapolis, I’d have to agree with Carl here. Neither are exactly fun, but I’d say going outside when it’s 120° is slightly more bearable than -30°.

r8shell

Platinum Member
I wondered the same thing. Surely it takes more electricity to keep Texas air conditioned in the summer than to keep it warm for a few extra cold days in winter?
It does. I believe it's more a matter of decreased production than increased demand. The reasons for this could venture into the forbidden topic of politics, so here is a picture of a cat deciding that she does not care for snow one little bit.
y4lEpnm.jpg

Henry Beige

Gold Member
On purpose? :D

Having lived in both Phoenix and Minneapolis, I’d have to agree with Carl here. Neither are exactly fun, but I’d say going outside when it’s 120° is slightly more bearable than -30°.

How long have you been in Minnesota now, and you haven’t jumped ito ice water after a sauna? You probably haven’t even eaten lutefisk.

Native XF ad, Below bottom BC