"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

It does. I believe it's more a matter of decreased production than increased demand. The reasons for this could venture into the forbidden topic of politics, so here is a picture of a cat deciding that she does not care for snow one little bit.
y4lEpnm.jpg

Your cat is a creature of good taste!

btb01

Gold Member
It does. I believe it's more a matter of decreased production than increased demand. The reasons for this could venture into the forbidden topic of politics, so here is a picture of a cat deciding that she does not care for snow one little bit.
y4lEpnm.jpg

That makes sense (and I certainly don’t want to take the conversation in that direction!) :thumbsup:

The cat definitely seems unimpressed. :D

How long have you been in Minnesota now, and you haven’t jumped ito ice water after a sauna? You probably haven’t even eaten lutefisk.

Yeah, I must admit that I’ve done neither of those things. I guess I’ve been hanging out with the wrong Minnesotans.

y4lEpnm.jpg
The power is back on ....finally ! It's been out since early morning on the 15th :eek: Got down to high 30s low 40s in ...in the house. Who know what a nighto_O My cat was going crazy :rolleyes: Cell service was out until my phone died....weird
Having a quick coffee before power goes out again :poop: Sleep who needs sleep. Camp stove ...I wish...thanks for thermal underwear and energy bars. Stove added to the list. Hope the pipes hold :thumbsup: great photo. Here comes the freezing rain

Last edited:

r8shell

Platinum Member
The power is back on ....finally ! It's been out since early morning on the 15th :eek: Got down to high 30s low 40s in ...in the house. Who know what a nighto_O My cat was going crazy :rolleyes: Cell service was out until my phone died....weird
Having a quick coffee before power goes out again :poop: Sleep who needs sleep. Camp stove ...I wish...thanks for thermal underwear and energy bars. Stove added to the list. Hope the pipes hold :thumbsup: great photo. Here comes the freezing rain
Goodness! Charge up the phone while you can! I sure hope your power stays on.
Mine's been on, but I'm doing what I can to conserve. I'm looking out the window, watching ice build up on the trees and power lines, so I expect even more folks will be dark today.

Goodness! Charge up the phone while you can! I sure hope your power stays on.
Mine's been on, but I'm doing what I can to conserve. I'm looking out the window, watching ice build up on the trees and power lines, so I expect even more folks will be dark today.
It's charged. Me too the HEB's are empty...I'm told. conserve indeed. Good luck :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::)

Jack Black

Gold Member

Good to have you back Gev :) Maybe add a power bank or two to the list too buddy :thumbsup:

JohnDF

Gold Member
Nothing will sour me on a knife brand faster than a failed locking mechanism.
Brands that have failed on me include; Rough Ryder, AG Russell, and a couple of higher end Modern Knife Makers.

btb01

Gold Member

Yikes! I hope the power stays on and you don’t have any more trouble.

I wonder if the sale of backup generators is going to skyrocket in Texas after this?

Peregrin

Traditional Forum Moderator
Gold Member
I'm hoping for the best, including a quick departure of the brutal cold weather, for our Southern Porch Friends!

Being a Central New Yorker I'm used to some pretty nasty winters, but only the occasional power loss.

Given the choice I'd take #2
YZW9Clj.jpg

NahNMUK.jpg

What a difference a day makes!

Today, temps in the lower 30's, and after single digit temps it feels almost balmy out. Just cloudy, but doable. Only problem is now with ice melting, theres a layer of water over sheets of ice. We've been informed by Williamson County that all water has to be boiled now because of problems with the treatment plant. Okay, I can do a pot of tea on the stove, but Karen and Abby need water so I went to HEB. (Local grocery store). Big mistake.

Most the lights in the store out because of minimum power, only allowed two cases or jugs of water. per customer. Parking lot a sheet of ice, and was semi amused by guy in jacked up Chevy Silverado with big tires slide into a parked car because going to fast to stop/turn. People falling on ice, a general really insane scene. Makes me long for anyplace tropical!

Tomorrow going up to the low 40's, so we're coming out the other end of it. Time now for a nice warm toddy!

WHT

Gold Member
While it has not received the publicity of the Texas outage, 250,000 lost power due to a weekend ice storm in the Portland, Oregon area. I am sitting in a motel in Beaverton that still has power and internet while I wait for power to be restored to my home in West Linn. My power went out Saturday morning (about 2:30 AM PST) and is still out. There are downed power lines (and trees, tree limbs, etc.) all over my neighborhood. Power will probably be back on before internet. If you wondering about missing Oregon people on the Forum; this is probably the reason. The ice has melted but it is going to take awhile to get things back to semi-normal.

While it has not received the publicity of the Texas outage, 250,000 lost power due to a weekend ice storm in the Portland, Oregon area. I am sitting in a motel in Beaverton that still has power and internet while I wait for power to be restored to my home in West Linn. My power went out Saturday morning (about 2:30 AM PST) and is still out. There are downed power lines (and trees, tree limbs, etc.) all over my neighborhood. Power will probably be back on before internet. If you wondering about missing Oregon people on the Forum; this is probably the reason. The ice has melted but it is going to take awhile to get things back to semi-normal.

Wow! And I thought we had it bad, at least our power has been in and out. Good luck to ya, and hang in there!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Good to have you back Gev :) Maybe add a power bank or two to the list too buddy :thumbsup:
On the list Pal :thumbsup: Thank you
Yikes! I hope the power stays on and you don’t have any more trouble.

I wonder if the sale of backup generators is going to skyrocket in Texas after this?
Much appreciated Barrett :cool::thumbsup: You can bet on it
Peregrin Peregrin
Thank you good Sir:):thumbsup: #2 :thumbsup:;)

Peregrin

Traditional Forum Moderator
Gold Member
Wow, that's awful! I'm glad you were able to find a motel room! Hope it gets back to normal soon.

glennbad

Knife Moddin' Fool
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I hope all you southern folks fare well through this. Sadly, up in NH, things like this happen more than we'd like. We had some doozy ice storms over the years where power was out for multiple weeks. I sure hope you all get back to normal real soon!

meako

Gold Member
I'd post a picture of the day here today, but then there would be folks toting pitchforks and torches chasing me.

Hang in there folks!
I be sending you warm thoughts.
20210119-140100.jpg

My drive to work last week...Wagonga Inlet Narooma.
Pitchforks,Torches...aaaah the old abandoned knifeworks....sigh...those were the days...
20210217-151120.jpg

Jeez its hot out here today.....
Thinking of you all and hoping for some blue skies for you.

20210119-140100.jpg

My drive to work last week...Wagonga Inlet Narooma.
Pitchforks,Torches...aaaah the old abandoned knifeworks....sigh...those were the days...
20210217-151120.jpg

Jeez its hot out here today.....
Thinking of you all and hoping for some blue skies for you.
I’m not jealous at all. Really. I’m not. I LIKE shoveling snow. Icy winds are bracing and refreshing....

Oh, who am I kidding? Thanks for the opportunity to daydream, though!

Native XF ad, Below bottom BC