"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

While it all can seem a little tedious, it is exciting for the nuggets of information and insight that occasionally pop up!!
I do appreciate great knife pics!! They should be required - say 20% of ones posts, must have a GOOD picture!!
Picture content:
One-arm Blade!!:DView attachment 1542969
Several posters suggested a spearpoint instead of a clip for the forum knife. Let's go for a one-arm! That would be fantastic!

The clip will be fantastic, too, but imagine a gigantic one-arm barlow with fancy bolsters! :eek: :D

-Tyson

I always thought it was silly for the Vic Cadet to have a file instead of a secondary blade - until yesterday when I tried to start my elderly Chevy and nothing happened when I turned the key. The battery was fine. Realized it just might be the resistor in the ignition key. Pulled out the Cadet, opened the file, took a couple of swipes at the contacts on both sides of the key, and Bingo! It started just fine. Maybe the file isn’t so silly after all.
Lhjpkph.jpg

(Obligatory knife photo)

Realized it just might be the resistor in the ignition key. Pulled out the Cadet, opened the file, took a couple of swipes at the contacts on both sides of the key, and Bingo! It started just fine. Maybe the file isn’t so silly after all.
I feel dumb, but you lost me at "key". :(
There are resistors on car keys? And you have to file them?

I feel dumb, but you lost me at "key". :(
There are resistors on car keys? And you have to file them?
Sorry for the obscure reference. It’s a 1997 Lumina with an early anti-theft system. A resistor is embedded in a piece of plastic in the key blade, with a contact strip on each side connected to each end of the resistor.
nJfe6El.jpg

The ignition system reads the value of the resistor and it must match what that particular car is programmed for or it won’t start. In this case the contact strip wasn’t making good contact, and the file cleaned it enough for the system to read the value. Ain’t technology grand?:confused:

Sorry for the obscure reference. It’s a 1997 Lumina with an early anti-theft system. A resistor is embedded in a piece of plastic in the key blade, with a contact strip on each side connected to each end of the resistor.
nJfe6El.jpg

The ignition system reads the value of the resistor and it must match what that particular car is programmed for or it won’t start. In this case the contact strip wasn’t making good contact, and the file cleaned it enough for the system to read the value. Ain’t technology grand?:confused:
Your elderly Chevy is futuristic to me. Nice old school fix, though.

I always thought it was silly for the Vic Cadet to have a file instead of a secondary blade - until yesterday when I tried to start my elderly Chevy and nothing happened when I turned the key. The battery was fine. Realized it just might be the resistor in the ignition key. Pulled out the Cadet, opened the file, took a couple of swipes at the contacts on both sides of the key, and Bingo! It started just fine. Maybe the file isn’t so silly after all.
Lhjpkph.jpg

(Obligatory knife photo)

And the nail file tip makes a good driver for those little Phillips screws on electronics and eye glass frames, as well as not a bad awl or poky tool.

edit to add; amazingly, it makes a decent file for a chipped nail as well.

There seems to be a lot of talk about narwhals lately, so I couldn't resist. I'm trying to decide if I want to make him darker, or leave it be.

xnKa5y0.jpg

rWfQCV0.jpg

Wow, love it!

There seems to be a lot of talk about narwhals lately, so I couldn't resist. I'm trying to decide if I want to make him darker, or leave it be.

xnKa5y0.jpg

rWfQCV0.jpg
Wonderful! You are becoming quite a talented scrimshander, Rachel!!

Back