"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I have to confess that I'm not as down with the kidz as I once was, and was intrigued to know if there was any difference between 🤟 and 🤘? (Yes, I can hear you youngsters sniggering away!) Well, it seems there is a significant difference : rolleyes: Since when did 🤟 mean 'I love you'?! : confused: Am I the only one who didn't know?! : eek: : rolleyes: 😉 :thumbsup:

The good news is that I seem popular at the local heavy metal bar ;)
Hi Jack,

You're not the only one who didn't know. I may be the only one who doesn't care (we don't have any heavy metal bar here). How to understand the meanings of those cryptograms when i still have hard time at mastering the use of the semi-colon?

Dan.

Hi Jack,

You're not the only one who didn't know. I may be the only one who doesn't care (we don't have any heavy metal bar here). How to understand the meanings of those cryptograms when i still have hard time at mastering the use of the semi-colon?

Dan.

LOL! :D I'm not sure there's a heavy metal bar here either Dan! :D But I'll try and get it right if one opens! :D ;) :thumbsup:

"Search" seems to be working as it should now, but I still have "a bone to pick." I use the Search function quite frequently, and before the software upgrade, the default "Search" report listed its "finds" chronologically, most recent first. I found that to be a very helpful format.

But now the results of searches seem to come back in "random" order, at least in terms of dates. (I'm not sure on what criterion they're sorted.) Is there some way for me to set some sort of "preference" so that the "Search" sorts/reports results in my favorite way, by date, newest to oldest??

Thanks for any suggestions, including more effective threads in which to post this question.

- GT

"Search" seems to be working as it should now, but I still have "a bone to pick." I use the Search function quite frequently, and before the software upgrade, the default "Search" report listed its "finds" chronologically, most recent first. I found that to be a very helpful format.

But now the results of searches seem to come back in "random" order, at least in terms of dates. (I'm not sure on what criterion they're sorted.) Is there some way for me to set some sort of "preference" so that the "Search" sorts/reports results in my favorite way, by date, newest to oldest??

Thanks for any suggestions, including more effective threads in which to post this question.

- GT
You have to use the advanced search to sort by most recent. It's a lot of extra clicking to get the results you want.
There's a big thread Spark started in Tech Support for issues with the new format.
Maybe we need one just for search function issues.

You have to use the advanced search to sort by most recent. It's a lot of extra clicking to get the results you want.
There's a big thread Spark started in Tech Support for issues with the new format.
Maybe we need one just for search function issues.
Thanks, Rachel. I noticed that "sort by most recent" option in the advanced search, but I'm sure that my "unadvanced" searches all came back sorted by most recent until the new BF software kicked in a week ago (or when ever it was). That's what made me wonder if when I was younger and smarter I found some way to set searches to default to sorting by most recent, perhaps the last time there was a BF system update.

Anyway, the suggestion to post my question in Spark's Tech Support thread is also a good one.

- GT

My one issue with the new forum software is the "Quote" feature...
You used to get a small picture but you could see the whole thing, now it's a big picture and you can only see the top 10% of the picture. Hard to see what people are quoting and talking about without having to click on the picture to see it all. Also, I don't like the way the emoji box floats over your text box and you're forced to close it and re-open it every time you use it. I like it pinned at the bottom of the text box like it used to be. <grumpy emoji>

Thanks, Rachel. I noticed that "sort by most recent" option in the advanced search, but I'm sure that my "unadvanced" searches all came back sorted by most recent until the new BF software kicked in a week ago (or when ever it was). That's what made me wonder if when I was younger and smarter I found some way to set searches to default to sorting by most recent, perhaps the last time there was a BF system update.

Anyway, the suggestion to post my question in Spark's Tech Support thread is also a good one.

- GT
You're right, "most recent" used to be the default, even for the simple searches.
Things have "improved". 😾

My one issue with the new forum software is the "Quote" feature...
You used to get a small picture but you could see the whole thing, now it's a big picture and you can only see the top 10% of the picture. Hard to see what people are quoting and talking about without having to click on the picture to see it all. Also, I don't like the way the emoji box floats over your text box and you're forced to close it and re-open it every time you use it. I like it pinned at the bottom of the text box like it used to be. <grumpy emoji>
I'm with you on both issues, John! (Let me float an emoji in here: :mad::thumbsdown:)

- GT

I'm with you on both issues, John! (Let me float an emoji in here: :mad::thumbsdown:)

- GT

I think the new software probably works best for those who make brief posts, from their phones, and don't multiquote. I dread the upgrades because they're always a mess (the last one was a nightmare). It's not just a case of getting used to them, we've lost a lot of good features over the years, and they've ruined all the older posts in the past. Posting was definitely easier before, particularly multi-quoting. I always imagine that it is someone's nephew's best friend doing the software upgrades or something : rolleyes: :grumpy:

I think the new software probably works best for those who make brief posts, from their phones, and don't multiquote. I dread the upgrades because they're always a mess (the last one was a nightmare). It's not just a case of getting used to them, we've lost a lot of good features over the years, and they've ruined all the older posts in the past. Posting was definitely easier before, particularly multi-quoting. I always imagine that it is someone's nephew's best friend doing the software upgrades or something : rolleyes: :grumpy:
Jack, I'll bet you're right about the Forum wanting to be as "phone-friendly" as possible for those BF members whose posts are relatively brief and seldom include multiquotes. And, I'll also bet that describes a sizable majority of BF members, so I suppose it's understandable that the website tries to cater to that majority.

I don't actually dread the upgrades, and I eventually do find ways to cope with the changes, although it takes me some time. That's really the case for me with almost all the technology "upgrades" I've experienced: my goal is to figure out as fast as I can how to make things "look" the way they used to and how to do the things I could do before. :rolleyes: I agree that the BF upgrades have spoiled some older posts for various reasons.

- GT

That's really the case for me with almost all the technology "upgrades" I've experienced: my goal is to figure out as fast as I can how to make things "look" the way they used to and how to do the things I could do before. :rolleyes:
That is exactly how I deal with most “upgrades”...

I have developed a very efficient workflow over the years, and I want software to support me achieving and possibly improving that efficiency. I don’t want to have modify my workflow just because some software developer suddenly decides that I should be doing it a different way, and removes or cripples some prior functionality.

The ads seem to have stopped... Thank you. :)

I've been really enjoying the new software for just that reason; I am not a paid subscriber at the moment, but I have not seen a single add since the upgrade!! They're doing something right if they're that well hidden! ;)

Back