"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

screened porch screened porch Jer
From what I've read the Nottinghamshire Pudding that you mention predates the Yorkshire pudding by about 4000 years.....
The Lancashire Pudding ...which became known as Toad in The Hole circa ad1270 when toads became extinct in the British Isles due to over hunting and were replaced by sausages...
The relationship between the toad mass extinction and the construction of Stonehenge at the same time remains a mystery....although recent digging at the hedge has discovered ancient semi decomposed batter with toads giblets...prompting the hypothesis of Salisbury Pudding as the common ancestor of all British Puddings......and don't due to their similarity in shape to Stonehenge.....fascinating stuff.
I'm torn between laughing out loud and seriously pondering this wealth of pudding information! I think that citing some references might help me to have an informed opinion. ;)
Well done, Jon!

I remember visiting my grandmother in Hampshire the early 1980s and being amazed to see sheepdog trials on TV. I had never seen such a thing on American TV.

I think they have grown a lot in popularity since then - I’m pretty sure they show them somewhere on cable now over here.

LOL! :D I do remember seeing those as a kid! :D They used to show darts too! :D :thumbsup:

Great stuff :) When I was young we had a black & white rental TV, which took a coin in the back! :D Britain only had 2 channels, and they only broadcast for a few hours a day! :D We got our first refrigerator when I was five, and I remember racing home to see it. I had some younger fellers in stitches once telling them that, and I had to tell them half the street came to see it too! :D :thumbsup:
They used to have coin-op TVs here in bus and train stations. How did it work in one's home? A man would come to collect the money from the box?
I read years ago that Bonanza was designed specifically to sell color TV sets. In those days RCA owned NBC, and the story was that RCA ordered NBC to produce a show which would make everyone dissatisfied with their black and white sets. Westerns were very popular at the time and were all in black and white, so NBC came up with the first western broadcast in color, with lots of outdoor vistas with lots of color. Bonanza was a hit, and RCA sold a lot of color TV's.
I want to point out, that even though all the television shows gradually changed to color, the signal was still compatible with black&white TVs. When signals went to digital, there wasn't any way to watch without buying a new TV set. 😡 Yes, I'm still bitter about it.

I want to point out, that even though all the television shows gradually changed to color, the signal was still compatible with black&white TVs. When signals went to digital, there wasn't any way to watch without buying a new TV set. 😡 Yes, I'm still bitter about it.
Actually, I’m still using my old 13” CRT TV. I bought a digital convertor when the change took effect, and it and the old TV are still working fine. What bugs me is that with digital you have either a great picture or no picture at all. I live in a fringe reception area and don’t use cable, and sometimes the picture and sound just disappear. In the old days you might have snow, but you could still keep up with what was going on.

They used to have coin-op TVs here in bus and train stations. How did it work in one's home? A man would come to collect the money from the box?
That's interesting Rachel. Yes, I think the guy came about once a month. It was when I was very small, so I don't recall how much TV you got to watch for 3 old English pennies (a thre'penny bit - equivalent to 1p when we decimalised in 1971), but I do recall it running out. It must have been traumatic, as I have watched very little TV in my entire life! :D It could have been the rotten TV programmes though :rolleyes: ;) :thumbsup:

That's interesting Rachel. Yes, I think the guy came about once a month. It was when I was very small, so I don't recall how much TV you got to watch for 3 old English pennies (a thre'penny bit - equivalent to 1p when we decimalised in 1971), but I do recall it running out. It must have been traumatic, as I have watched very little TV in my entire life! :D It could have been the rotten TV programmes though :rolleyes: ;) :thumbsup:
I remember Benny hill. Maybe the only over the pond show I watched. We used to go around slapping each other on the back of our necks :) It was a pretty good show. Highly intelligent;)

I remember Benny hill. Maybe the only over the pond show I watched. We used to go around slapping each other on the back of our necks :) It was a pretty good show. Highly intelligent;)
It would have been bad to be a short bald-headed guy when that was being shown! :eek: :D

Some years ago, a Polish neighbour asked me why they never showed it anymore :rolleyes: It was kind of hard to explain :D

Benny's impersonations were brilliant....but I think Hale and Pace sum up black and white TV quite well here

:D :thumbsup:

When colour TVs first became commonly available here, in the early 1970's, some people would have the colour turned right up, like they were determined to get the most for their money! :D

It would have been bad to be a short bald-headed guy when that was being shown! :eek: :D

Some years ago, a Polish neighbour asked me why they never showed it anymore :rolleyes: It was kind of hard to explain :D
Yeah I suppose that show wasn’t very politically polite…sexist etc. They would never air that stuff now. Look at older shows like all in the family with Archie bunker no way that stuff would air today. I think Monty python humor has stood up to that however some probably find it dated a bit today. I still twinge if I recall a scene in life of brian where a centurion is giving Brian a Latin lesson twisting his ear until he conjugated a verb correctly. Reminds me of the codger Jesuit priest who would grab my ear in Latin class if I goofed up…he did care about us though I believe even if it was painful to learn Latin.

Love Thy Neighbour
Are You Being Served
Were hilarious in their day BECAUSE they were so "politically incorrect"....It doesn't actually replace wit though....a particularly obnoxious racist Britcom was Mind Your Language.....appalling.
Having said that...I strongly believe that racist humour defeats racism....as long as you don't take yourself too seriously...and it's humour not just insult....

Back