"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Learned a lesson last night. I seldom carry any of my “special” knives on a day to day basis. There was a smoky fire in my apartment building last night and believe it or not the first thing I grabbed after getting dressed was my Balistreri saddlehorn. I guess it’s time to update my “go” bag to include a few luxuries.[url=https://postimg.cc/87GJFj1W][/URL]
Glad you're OK Alan :thumbsup:
Good day at the flea market.

View attachment 2535885
Nice find Rachel :) I think I might have another set knocking about somewhere :thumbsup:

Awesome, Rachael! I've got that set. It was my dad's when he was studying Electrical Engineering at the University of Pittsburgh. It's one of my prized possessions.
That's a very cool heirloom.
Don't know that I have ever seen a WWI Red Cross pin before but the Drafting Tools do . I did train to use the Inking Pins for drawings but we then immediately went to only using lead and then shortly after to Mylar . That is a nice set .

Harry
Thanks. I assumed those are for ink, but can't imagine how they were used without making a mess. I'm just young enough to have learned cursive writing, but with ballpoint pens.
There's a Red Cross pin just like that in my grandmother's button box, which I was told she got when rolling bandages for the boys overseas. I had to spend the $1 to get one without rust.
Nice find Rachel :) I think I might have another set knocking about somewhere :thumbsup:
Nice! I always pick them up if it's affordable. "They aren't making any more like that..."
Wow! I never saw so many compasses/dividers in one case!
The double needle one in the middle looks like it's from a different set, but they usually have at least one small sized for pencil lead, ink, scribe, plus a few larger ones. I actually use the small dividers in my artsy/crafty projects, for measuring and marking tiny details.

I'm just young enough to have learned cursive writing, but with ballpoint pens.
I'm just young enough to have written on slates at school! :D :thumbsup:
Nice! I always pick them up if it's affordable. "They aren't making any more like that..."

The double needle one in the middle looks like it's from a different set, but they usually have at least one small sized for pencil lead, ink, scribe, plus a few larger ones. I actually use the small dividers in my artsy/crafty projects, for measuring and marking tiny details.
Yeah, me too, though I don't actually collect them :D I don't think I've ever paid more than £15 for a set, and they're usually complete, and in good condition :thumbsup:

I'm just young enough to have written on slates at school! :D :thumbsup:

Yeah, me too, though I don't actually collect them :D I don't think I've ever paid more than £15 for a set, and they're usually complete, and in good condition :thumbsup:
Betcha used yer pen knife...er, lambsfoot...to sharpen yer quills!

We had to use lumps of charcoal on the back of a shovel!!! 😂 😂 😂

Betcha used yer pen knife...er, lambsfoot...to sharpen yer quills!

We really did have pieces of slate, and not the posh type with the wooden surround, but pieces of old roofing slate! Next stage up were pencils, and then we got a nibbed pen, which had to be dipped in an inkwell! There was a lad called David Burgin, who volunteered to be both 'Pencil Monitor', handing out the pencils, which had your name written on a shaved off section, and 'Ink Well Monitor', filling the inkwells. For those who didn't have their own knife, there were wooden-handled craft knives, for sharpening pencils. I still have the scar where my friend John Scholey accidentally stabbed me in the side with one! :eek: He wants to think himself lucky I didn't tell the Boy Scouts Association to take away his whittling privileges when he became a Scout Leader later! :D :thumbsup:

ftcms%3A143dba6a-c289-4788-a107-fe349d6ce818

We really did have pieces of slate, and not the posh type with the wooden surround, but pieces of old roofing slate! Next stage up were pencils, and then we got a nibbed pen, which had to be dipped in an inkwell! There was a lad called David Burgin, who volunteered to be both 'Pencil Monitor', handing out the pencils, which had your name written on a shaved off section, and 'Ink Well Monitor', filling the inkwells. For those who didn't have their own knife, there were wooden-handled craft knives, for sharpening pencils. I still have the scar where my friend John Scholey accidentally stabbed me in the side with one! :eek: He wants to think himself lucky I didn't tell the Boy Scouts Association to take away his whittling privileges when he became a Scout Leader later! :D :thumbsup:

ftcms%3A143dba6a-c289-4788-a107-fe349d6ce818
Wow. The best I can do is I remember school desks that had recesses which had been inkwells.

That's a very cool heirloom.

Thanks. I assumed those are for ink, but can't imagine how they were used without making a mess. I'm just young enough to have learned cursive writing, but with ballpoint pens.
There's a Red Cross pin just like that in my grandmother's button box, which I was told she got when rolling bandages for the boys overseas. I had to spend the $1 to get one without rust.

The way you loaded the ink into the instrument was with an Eye Dropper , back into the area above the points . The points were kept barely open . Due to the viscosity of the ink it just flowed down as you moved the point or nib . You could not leave the nib in contact with the paper . It did take a while to learn to be proficient . What Brand is that set ?? The set that I always used was made by Post . I gave most of my set to a Grandson never to be seen again .

Harry

Wow. The best I can do is I remember school desks that had recesses which had been inkwells.
I remember when cartridge pens came along and I didn't have to worry with the ink bottle any more. Major improvement!
My first pen was a cartridge pen, then I regressed to a more traditional fountain pen with a bulb, which seemed like more fun :D We could use our own pens as an alternative to the school-issue pens, which had a nib, and a long plastic stem, blue in colour. I think kids were allowed to use Biros for most classes by then too, or maybe that came a little later. Once the changes started happening, they happened fast. I kept on using my fountain pen, but by the time I got to secondary school, the inkwells weren't being filled anymore, and many of the desks were like Jer remembers. Someone once told me that one of the reasons some of the old 'technology' hung around so long was that Government contracts were huge. For example Her Majesty's Stationery Office (HMSO) were still issuing ink erasers into the 1960's, because they were available, and folks found them useful as letter openers.

The way you loaded the ink into the instrument was with an Eye Dropper , back into the area above the points . The points were kept barely open . Due to the viscosity of the ink it just flowed down as you moved the point or nib . You could not leave the nib in contact with the paper . It did take a while to learn to be proficient . What Brand is that set ?? The set that I always used was made by Post . I gave most of my set to a Grandson never to be seen again .

Harry
The only brand mark I can find is on the one piece that I think is from a different set: Federal.

edit: a quick google-fu suggests that mark was used by Dietzgen.

Last edited:
My first pen was a cartridge pen, then I regressed to a more traditional fountain pen with a bulb, which seemed like more fun :D We could use our own pens as an alternative to the school-issue pens, which had a nib, and a long plastic stem, blue in colour. I think kids were allowed to use Biros for most classes by then too, or maybe that came a little later. Once the changes started happening, they happened fast. I kept on using my fountain pen, but by the time I got to secondary school, the inkwells weren't being filled anymore, and many of the desks were like Jer remembers. Someone once told me that one of the reasons some of the old 'technology' hung around so long was that Government contracts were huge. For example Her Majesty's Stationery Office (HMSO) were still issuing ink erasers into the 1960's, because they were available, and folks found them useful as letter openers.
Did someone say Ink Erasers? ;) Another obsolete tool that I keep accumulating.

s0uRF0D.jpg

I tried a cartridge pen again recently, but all the ink had dried up in my cartridges. At least that way they can't leak in my shirt pocket.
The only fountain pen I ever bought, though I have a few old ones:
ehB0FZ5.jpg

Levenger catalogue. I think they're still in business; they just realized I wasn't buying enough to pay for my catalogues.

Back