"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Ok what do y'all use to take care of your carbon blades from rist and use as a lubricant. I currently use mystery oil a couple drops or wd40 I don't use for food prep are there other options

As the others have said, mineral oil works great for general knife lubrication - a couple drops in the joints, a light coat on the blade, you're good to go. It's easy to find at the pharmacy in the laxative section. The bottle I found was like 10 or 12 oz, which I'm pretty sure is enough to last me forever (I put it into a small dropper bottle to use).

For a more thorough cleaning work (say an older knife that has some rust on it), I like Ballistol. It's an excellent all around CLP type lubricant. It's the only thing I use for cleaning my guns any more. It's also safe for use on materials like wood and leather so you don't have to worry about it damaging knife covers or sheaths or anything like that.

Happy Birthday Paul, hope you have a great day :thumbup:

Wishing you a very Happy Birthday, Paul! :thumbup::thumbup:
I hope the year ahead is a fantastic one for you (the 25th year usually is, I think :D:D).

- GT

Happy Birthday, Paul!

Hate to change the mood but...

In the morning my wee family will head off on holiday, my first real holiday since 2007 - I've worked hard for it and have really been looking forward to it. We have to make two relatively short flights to reach our destination. Given the recent events in Europe, my wife is getting very nervous about leaving our quiet little island up in the north west of Scotland. In this very infinately small way we have become victims too. This vexes me a great deal. What on earth is our world coming to.

Before you all go to bed tonight, ladies and gentlemen, please spare a thought for those who really have fallen victim to this awful atrocity and a prayer for their families and loved ones. Also, if you please, take some time to think of all those hard working people who risk their lives doing the tough graft in dark places.

And its a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO Mr. Paul Hilborn :)

Have a fantastic day my friend :thumbup:

Thank you Duncan for the birthday wishes as well as your call today:thumbup:

Happy Birthday Paul, hope you have a great day :thumbup:

Jack, many thanks my friend:)

Happy birthday, Paul!

Thanks for the heads up Duncan.

Thank you Gary for both the birthday wishes and your efforts here keeping us all in line:D

Wishing you a very Happy Birthday, Paul! :thumbup::thumbup:
I hope the year ahead is a fantastic one for you (the 25th year usually is, I think :D:D).

- GT

A good laugh on my birthday Gary:thumbup: Thank you, young at heart my friend;)

Happy 29th Birthday Paul :D!!! Hope it's the best ever

Thank you Randy, can anyone actually wear out turning 29 over and over:p

Happy Birthday, Paul!

In the morning my wee family will head off on holiday, my first real holiday since 2007 - I've worked hard for it and have really been looking forward to it. We have to make two relatively short flights to reach our destination. Given the recent events in Europe, my wife is getting very nervous about leaving our quiet little island up in the north west of Scotland. In this very infinately small way we have become victims too. This vexes me a great deal. What on earth is our world coming to.

Before you all go to bed tonight, ladies and gentlemen, please spare a thought for those who really have fallen victim to this awful atrocity and a prayer for their families and loved ones. Also, if you please, take some time to think of all those hard working people who risk their lives doing the tough graft in dark places.

Thanks as well for the birthday wishes Paul, try and enjoy your vacation as I feel for the victims you mention and their families...prayers sent from North Dakota. The people on the front line and behind those lines have my most sincere support:thumbup:

Paul H., I forgot to congratulate you for that early birthday gift you received when the Irish pulled out their hoops game against Stephen Freaking Austin! :thumbup:;)

Paul (pmew), thanks for the reminder about the madness that infects our world. My daughter flew from Madrid to Oporto, Portugal on Tuesday morning with a friend and the friend's mother. They're spending the week "exploring" Portugal and then flying back to Madrid. So I certainly can relate to your wife's anxiety about travel this week! I'll add you and your family to my prayer list that was already long, but made much longer by current events. I hope your family can have a safe, enjoyable, and well-deserved holiday! :cool:

- GT

Phil, Dean and Robert, Thank you, I appreciate it very much:thumbup:

Gary, the ND victory was an early birthday gift, my son and I were truly on the edge of our seats, luck o the Irish ya know;):D

Happy Birthday! Paul H.

Paul-MEW, safe travels! ...and prayers for those who lost dear ones in the latest atrocity.

Happy Birthday, Paul!

Safe travels, and we all owe a debt of gratitude for those in our Armed Forces of the nations of this world, that keep us safe.

Speaking of birthdays, many times a year I think mine has come - because I keep getting packages from a certain North Dakota person...WHOM.... will not listen to me when I say stop!!!! :eek::D

Well, a while ago Paul sent me one of Mr Charlie Campagna's - Waynorth Cutlery's stunning #15 Rope Knife, I am a terrible collector - because I cant bring myself to use my "set" - so Paul has helped me out by buying one for me- Paul mate....YOU are the Legend..... thank you so so much for all that you do for me- but also for the others in our great place we call the Porch. :thumbup::cool:

and like the guy on tv says...........

BUT WAIT THERES MORE!!!! :)

Paul sent me this stunning Pruner - now get this - GEC at their best again..
Satin Gabon Ebony
Fluted Bolsters, and nicely beveled.
Wicked Shield.
Lanyard Hole.
Most awesome 1095 Hawkbill Blade with an awesome Swedge & Long Pull going on! :eek:

You cant cram much more into a knife - and I am so love these knives.....
Paul - you rock my friend -Thank you from the bottom of my Heart for these, and all my other knives you have so generously gifted me......

I love reading stuff like this Duncan. Good for you. :D
Happy belated birthday Paul. Hope it was a good one buddy.

Well now my daughter needs another prescription to work with the carbatrol...I don't know how this week could get any worse. I'm sitting in the hospital right now holding her hand and just praying I can figure this all out. Medical bills are insanely expensive...I don't know how anyone does it. I'll be off for a while. Gotta try and drum up some money for more medication.

Back