"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Well this is a brilliant idea. :)

There's many a time something comes up, not always knife related, but still in tune with the love of the traditional ways that we hold so dear on this forum.

Well done Elliott and Gus :thumbup:

I've been on bladeforums since January this year and I have really enjoyed this forum. I spent some time for a couple of years puttering around with "black knives" and one in particular that I bought in 2004 is still one of my all time favorites. And I think it is because it really has some "traditional feel" to it. I am speaking here of the 812S Benchmade mini-AFCK. It feels pretty much like a slightly larger Schrade 194OT liner lock trapper to me.

Anyway, all that said to say that I find myself "coming back" as it were, to more traditional patterns. I like to consider knives more as tools than weapons, so I'm going to pretty much stay around this part of Blade Forums.

Now, down to the real reason for this post. I have just been lucky enough to win a knife in a giveaway (thanks, Ashley) and this whole giveaway thing is pretty phenomenal and a great defining quality of the neighborhood here. It reminds me of "dropping knives" that oldtimers and kids alike did when I was growing up.

I am enjoying my stay here. You will have to throw me out to get me to leave. :D.

EJ

But I will admit I have a fondness for Captain Morgan's rum. On a chilly night, Karen and I will warm up some cider, and have a nice big mug of 2/3ds cider and 1/3 of the captians Rum. Makes a nice warm toddy for a cold night.

I've smoked everything that grew, including you know who, and his big brother. I've drank everything that knew, I would long for another.
I ditched a $6/day Copenhagen habit that was killing me 4 years ago, but I still enjoy a toddy.
I've loved and lost a considerable number of wimmen. The pocket knives seem safe so far to this old body.

IMG_1374.jpg
[/IMG]

I've smoked everything that grew, including you know who, and his big brother. I've drank everything that knew, I would long for another.
I ditched a $6/day Copenhagen habit that was killing me 4 years ago, but I still enjoy a toddy.
I've loved and lost a considerable number of wimmen. The pocket knives seem safe so far to this old body.

Sounds like you got your priorities in order, Calvin. ;)

Nice group o' knives there...:thumbup:

Tongueriver:

That post and picture makes me feel a lot better. You have quite a collection of Old Timers & Uncle Henrys there.

I haven't ever had any of that spiced rum. I don't know if I can find it locally. BTW, I define locally as within 30 miles. Not that much of anything within 30 miles of my house.

EJ

Last edited:
Spiced Rum? I think that is a point off your man card but the Old Timers add two so you're ok there.

On a personal note I was saddened when Coke dropped "Coke Blak" from their line. With it's coffee infusion Blak plus Mother Myer's marvelous dark rum created a drink I called a Cuba Libra Negro... very tasty.

rc.jpg

If you gentlemen ever get a whiff of this stuff ...

RonZ.jpg

... it'll put you off Capt. Morgan, Meyers, Bacardi, etc. for good. I used to be a skeptic about good rum. To me, rum was just something to mix up cocktails with. But this Ron Zacapa from Guatemala? Let's just say, if you like sipping fine whisky or bourbon, you'll enjoy this. :thumbup:

This subforum is one of my favorite places on the web. A big thanks to the moderators and contributors for making it what it is!

This subforum is one of my favorite places on the web. A big thanks to the moderators and contributors for making it what it is!

Jeez, now he's gonna get us crying in our beer! :eek: :p

(Thanks for the good words. It is a special group of folks in my hopefully not too biased opinion. :cool: :thumbup:)

Vices:
Single malt preferable Western Highland or Syke distilleries, smoky and peaty.
When I smoked a pipe, Sobrannie #10 or Dunhill
Cigars, does Burmesse cheroots count?
Cigarrette tobacco was brought from a Ukrainain importer in the East Village on 1st Ave, I don't remember what he mixed me, but it was good!

All I do now is the single malt.....

Hi,

As much as I like living out in the sticks in fly-over land, there are sometimes I feel like I'm missing out on some of the good things. Like cigars and good spirits.

Now I no longer smoke, and while I still like a sip once in a while, I often forget I have something to sip!:D

A least I get to live vicariously here!

Dale

...and while I still like a sip once in a while, I often forget I have something to sip!:D
Dale

Sounds like Alcoholzheimer's Disease to me! :eek:

Quick, get that man a drink!!! :D

;)

This place is the cat's meow! Can you dig it jack? Do you get where I'm coming from daddy O?

p.s. As you can see, I don't hang out much (at all) in lounges so not sure of the proper vernacular. Should I snap my fingers if I see a good post?

This place is the cat's meow! Can you dig it jack? Do you get where I'm coming from daddy O?

p.s. As you can see, I don't hang out much (at all) in lounges so not sure of the proper vernacular. Should I snap my fingers if I see a good post?

Hmmm, methinks you've been hanging out at the
pussycat.jpg
a bit too often of late! :p

Luciano,

I am with you. I very seldom if ever hang out in a lounge, but if I did , I would want it modeled after this one!

I am glad that Elliot and Gus came to the decision to try this out. Tells me this forum is ever dynamic and not afraid to try and improve on sometime that is already a success.

Now , were is that bottle of Leinenkugel's Sunset wheat beer?? (check out their website, a more traditional brewer would be hard to find, at least UPNORT ! )

Ken

Rob,

(We have access to pretty good corn whiskey in this part of the world. It's a nice occasional treat.)

Not as good though since Popcorn is gone!! Stupid DA, couldn't leave well enough alone, the man didn't bother a soul.

Elliott is probably the only one that will understand this, so I apologize to the others......but who knows, Popcorn got around!

Now , where is that bottle of Leinenkugel's Sunset wheat beer?? (check out their website, a more traditional brewer would be hard to find, at least UPNORTH ! )Ken

I've been watching their ads on TV the last couple nights while watching the Reds play the Mets. (Fox Sports Ohio feed.)

Not as good though since Popcorn is gone!! Stupid DA, couldn't leave well enough alone, the man didn't bother a soul.

Elliott is probably the only one that will understand this, so I apologize to the others......but who knows, Popcorn got around!

Yeah, it was sad to see the man come to such an abrupt end when it could've been handled in a more delicate manner. Still, he lived it as he saw it. :thumbup:

Yeah, it was sad to see the man come to such an abrupt end when it could've been handled in a more delicate manner. Still, he lived it as he saw it. :thumbup:

You are so right....but man what a life he led, a throw back for sure. Now if I could have ever gotten one of his knives...the stories it could tell. :thumbup:

Back