"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I was going to interject something here but can't remember what it is.

Perhaps I'll change my name to "addlebrained".

In the making of this thread about names, no real egos were harmed or degraded.

But, Annifrid and Agneta have a few words to add :D

I recently discovered a nifty feature built in to the new forum software, whereby it is far more intuitive to create text links (highlighted words in one's post that take the reader directly to the cited post when clicked) to specific posts elsewhere on the forum.

Last evening I did up a quick step-by-step in the Let's talk GEC! thread.

Take a look here.

Hope this helps. :)

~ P.

Last week end there were two knives shows in Paris (!:eek:) None of these pictures are mine but even with the mixture of modern and traditionnals some are outstanding.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49424007@N02/sets/72157686709003064
https://www.flickr.com/photos/49424007@N02/albums/72157686755612424

TWO?! :eek: Wow JP, those pics are incredible! :thumbsup:

I recently discovered a nifty feature built in to the new forum software, whereby it is far more intuitive to create text links (highlighted words in one's post that take the reader directly to the cited post when clicked) to specific posts elsewhere on the forum.

Last evening I did up a quick step-by-step in the Let's talk GEC! thread.

Take a look here.

Hope this helps. :)

~ P.

Helpful tip P, you're good at working out how these things work :thumbsup: I did know know to make links like that a long time ago, but then FORGOT! :rooleyes: :D Any tips on getting better functionality from the new search function? :thumbsup:

Any tips on getting better functionality from the new search function?
I've actually found the new search function to function pretty well.
Just remember to check whether you want to "search titles only" or "search this thread" or "search this forum only" or other suchlike filters. For example, I can search all posts made by a particular member within a particular thread, or all titles with a particular word within a forum, etc.

I agree, Sarah. The only way to be 100% safe is to stay off the internet.
But here I am with my devil-may-care attitude. Risking disaster by saying, "Hi. My name is Frank. I like knives. And I live in San Diego."

The humor in that becomes more obvious if you realize that I actually do wear both a belt and suspenders.
The radicalized sheeple are closing in. Bar the doors ... wait just a moment as I rotate my phone to check the signature line... Frank.
;)

Last edited:
Just remember to check whether you want to "search titles only" or "search this thread" or "search this forum only" or other suchlike filters. For example, I can search all posts made by a particular member within a particular thread, or all titles with a particular word within a forum, etc.
My experience corroborates what r8shell reports. :thumbsup::thumbsup: My use of the search function has usually been quite successful (but how I typically use it is quite straightforward - I don't claim to be a "power user" ;)).

- GT

bits-signs-hpMedium.jpg

Really? Even if I know the actual thread title, I find it pretty poor :( With the old function, you could for instance, right click on the posts in a particular thread, displayed in the centre column, get a list of posters, with the number of posts in that thread, and you could then search within those posts. It helped with trying to find stuff in long threads like Charlie's Barlow thread. I always found the sub-forum search function a lot better than the general one :thumbsup:

All this tech talk makes my head hurt. :confused::D:D:D

My head hurts anyway! :D :thumbsup:

Back