"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

The real question here, is:
What the heck is a "zombie knife"???

You're not alone in wondering that! :rolleyes: Big knife with black handle = machete = legal. Big knife with green/yellow handle = Zombie Knife = illegal! :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Chui-888 drew my attention to this document yesterday - Proposals for changes in the UK knife laws - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...nsive_and_Dangerous_Weapons-Consultation-.pdf

Not the place for political commentary, but I'm posting this for the information of our other UK members, and those visiting the UK - Your Svord Peasant could be set to be reclassified as an illegal 'flick knife', you may no longer be able to purchase knives online, and knives in your private collection are in danger of being seized. Read it and weep! :(

I took a few moments to go through that document, Jack. I must say, that was a pretty difficult read, a lot of it being rather hard to fathom. I'd rather not go into it too deeply here in regards to my particular thoughts on it but I certainly feel for you enthusiasts and collectors over there, it is going to make your hobby that much more difficult to enjoy...

I took a few moments to go through that document, Jack. I must say, that was a pretty difficult read, a lot of it being rather hard to fathom. I'd rather not go into it too deeply here in regards to my particular thoughts on it but I certainly feel for you enthusiasts and collectors over there, it is going to make your hobby that much more difficult to enjoy...

Thanks Dylan :thumbsup:

Chui-888 drew my attention to this document yesterday - Proposals for changes in the UK knife laws - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...nsive_and_Dangerous_Weapons-Consultation-.pdf

Not the place for political commentary, but I'm posting this for the information of our other UK members, and those visiting the UK - Your Svord Peasant could be set to be reclassified as an illegal 'flick knife', you may no longer be able to purchase knives online, and knives in your private collection are in danger of being seized. Read it and weep! :(

Thanks for posting that Jack. I generally don't read/watch British news media anymore so I was completely oblivious to this. I've not read it in detail but basically I'm not surprised; it was only a matter of time until this happened. I didn't read them but I noticed there's new proposals for firearms as well. My brother legally owns shotguns so I better make him aware of this as well as I'm sure there will be some hysterical government trash about them as well.
Again thanks for the heads up.

On reading the document Jack, it appears that as it's a consultation, any member of the public can reply.
If that's the case I'm going to reply, especially in regards to the statement that the sale of knives on the internet should be banned due to the vendor being unable to verify the customers age.
The law states that knives can only be sold to over-18's.

Points to highlight:

1. The legal minimum age that anyone can possess a credit card in the UK is 18. By default the customer who uses a credit card to purchase knives can only be 18 or older.

2. The minimum voting age in England and Wales is 18. The vendor could use the Electoral Register to check the age of the customer at their address as you obviously can't be on the Electoral Register if your under 18. Of course, it means people who wish to buy knives online must be on the Electoral Register. (I've never bought off them but I believe 'Heinnie' use this system).

3. As you already pointed out banning internet sales could be the final nail in the coffin for our domestic cutlery producers. Job losses would result. The proposals are in error when they state age verification is impossible for online sales. Comparisons could be highlighted with other online purchases that are age-restricted in law. The online alcohol trade, online pharmaceutical orders, even online 'adult entertainment' purchases are all, supposedly, age restricted.

Of course, whether anyone in power pays a blind bit of attention to any replies to the consultation is another matter entirely.

Great points donn.

I hope you don't mind me sharing them on my IG account post, asking people to take part in the survey.

Yesterday morning about 5AM I woke up with chest pains and pain down both arms. Hell of a rude awakening!

Given my senior citizen age and mediacal history of a minor heart problem, I thought, "Oh s--t, it's the big one". I got up and went to the bathroom and chewed up a couple aspirins, and woke up my better half. Karen asked me what was wrong, and all I could say to her, thinking each second may be my last, was "I love you."

Then I told her what was up and she started to throw on some clothes and call 911. The EMT's got there and at the ER they plugged me into machines that beeped and clicked. Drew blood for tests and gave me a good going over that lasted for 4 hours.

Ends up it wasn't a heart attack, but a muscle spasm in my back between my shoulder blades that affected the nerve bundle in my chest and shoulders. A relief and a reminder to refrain from mountain biking at my age especially after not being on a bike for over 10 years.

BUT...do you know what went through my mind in those minutes between waking and the EMT's wheeling me out on a gurney?

I didn't think jack squat about my material things, and they all could have went right in the landfill right then for all I cared. All I thought about was, I hadn't told my wife of decades that I loved her yet that morning. I thought of my kids and grandkids that I wouldn't have the chance to say goodbye to. Knives, guns, all the 'stuff,' was just nothing. Less than nothing. No better than trash in my life.

I've been heading in the direction of minimalism for years now, but After yesterday I think I'm really going to embrace it. I've learned that all the collections of whatever don't mean anything if you don't live like each day was your last, and let the people in your life know how much you love them and care about them. Material items don't mean Jack s--t and jack's on vacation in Vegas!

Just a thought after a heck of a scare. I'd rather be holding hands with my better half watching the sun go down, than have a great collection of whatever.

They banned “open blades knives”. Although that term could be argued, the new procedure pretty much says only electricians can use a knife now and then only with about 10 rules to follow.

Stupid.

We open bags, boxes, cut visqueen, etc about 20 times a shift. Someone gonna use something else to do it and hurt themselves.

All because some numb nuts used a snap off blade razor knife to try to cut a zip tie and sliced his own arm open. I tried to argue to fix the real problem, not the knife. Their argument was “a knife is not the real correct tool for anything, it’s a catch all tool that does several jobs:”. Yeah so are channel locks but you not outlawing those? What we gonna do, put a 50 lb backpack on each tech with all the “correct tools” in them?

Sorry, just had to vent GKD would attract too much riff raff.

I feel ya, Joey. I can't use my personal knives at the workplace either. Thankfully, there is no rule against having one in my pocket.

I remember how I felt when the rule was first implemented and believe me, I know what you're going through.

I'm afraid there will be more companies or work places give into to the lunacey that a knife is dangerous ... which is no more so than most other tools ... just don't get people on the 6:00 news on a soap box preaching that other tools can cause as much or more damage.

But it's easier to blame the "evil" knife than the idiot user ...

Wow, Carl. I’m so glad that it was a Big Scare rather than the Big One. Thank you for sharing the story and your insight into the dose of perspective the experience provided. The more I advance in life the more I realize what you said is true, but I find I still need reminders to keep it to heart. Thank you for sharing one.

I feel ya, Joey. I can't use my personal knives at the workplace either. Thankfully, there is no rule against having one in my pocket.

I remember how I felt when the rule was first implemented and believe me, I know what you're going through.

Rick, I wish it was that vague. It says “banned” except for electricians in some jobs and cooking knives used only in the kitchen. Yep, they even covered that base. I can’t even claim my fixed blade is a cooking knife unless it’s in the kitchen.

Blimey! Glad to hear you are okay amigo.

I can see how such a scare can put things into perspective.

Be well sir.

Breaking the speed limit in the road is banned too...hands up anyone who doesnt stray over the line occasionally and nit get caught.
If you get my drift

Back