1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Jul 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Cool :cool: There must have been a lot made because I see them fairly regularly here. I'm glad to have a name for them :) Do you know who made them?

I think this is the first one I came across in recent years :thumbsup:

Trim-Trio 1.jpg

r redden likes this.
  2. Copperberry

Copperberry

Apr 5, 2018
    @Jack Black your fish knife is cooler than my fish knife!

3. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    That's very kind :) I always had one as a kid, and after mentioning it a couple of years ago, @r8shell very kindly sent me one :) Now, I snap them up if I see them, though it's rare :thumbsup:

veitsi_poika and Copperberry like this.
  4. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Funny you mention it. I just came across one that made me think of you. It's a little bigger than the one I sent you, if I recall correctly.
    20180417_170302_Richtone(HDR).jpg

5. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    @JackBlack
    https://bladeforums.com/posts/6582487/
    I don't think that works as a link.
    There's an old thread called the forgotten pattern about trim trios. I was in a thread more recently that I can't find. The forgattgen pattern has some good pix of them. Bassett of Derry CT patented them and I presume made them. I have the card from one around here somewhere.

Cutfinger, Jack Black and Cambertree like this.
  6. veitsi_poika

veitsi_poika Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 25, 2016
    @Jack Black

FISH KNIFE STORIES :D
    PSX_20180417_190003.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    Jack Black, sitflyer and Cambertree like this.
  7. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Jack Black and veitsi_poika like this.
  8. Wurrwulf

Wurrwulf

Dec 3, 2015
    These Playoff games in Portland are killing me. I have to wake up for work in 5 hours, and I am absolutely JACKED UP right now because my Pels are killing it! Can't wait for the boys to be back home.

9. sitflyer

sitflyer

Mar 10, 2011
    you just might have a little "problem" my friend :p

Jack Black likes this.
  10. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Yes it is :) I keep the other in my wallet :) :thumbsup:

Thanks for the link Jer, worked for me :) Great info my friend :thumbsup:

:D :thumbsup:

I think you might be right! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

sitflyer and scrteened porch like this.
  11. r redden

r redden Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 23, 2015
    Drinking coffee and watching the news this morning I looked out my window to see this big ole turkey walking by.

[​IMG]

12. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Nice sighting Randy.:cool:
    The only Wild Turkey I see here is the bottled variety and with me in the vicinity it's an endangered species:D:D:eek:

13. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Here's a turkey vulture, warming his wings in the sun this morning.
    [​IMG]
    I counted as many as nine in the tree this morning (actually it's two trees).
    [​IMG]
    I strode extra vigorously to the car.

14. veitsi_poika

Nov 25, 2016
    Good timing with the bird pictures! I had a male pheasant come in for some food tonight about 20 feet away from my patio door... I've become a bit of an expert taking pictures with my phone through binoculars... I call it my Yooper zoom :D Anyway, the first picture shows you the actual pictures I get using this method and then I just crop the good part of the picture.

P1.JPG P3.JPG P4.JPG P5.JPG P6.JPG P7.JPG P8.JPG P9.JPG

- Kevin

15. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Pheasants really are beautiful birds. I've heard they are quite tasty too, though I do not know this from experience. :D

veitsi_poika and Jack Black like this.
  16. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Great Vulture pics, Jer!!
    Nicely zoomed Pheasant, Kevin!! I am going to have to try Yooper Zooming!!

veitsi_poika and scrteened porch like this.
  17. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    This one was made by a company named Basset in the U.S.A. The company made thousands of these, many as promotional items for companies such as this one for Snap-on

[​IMG]

JB in SC and Jack Black like this.
  18. veitsi_poika

Nov 25, 2016
    It takes a LOT of poor pictures to get used to holding the binoculars and phone cam in the right spot but once you get used to it, you basically have the equivalent of an expensive Nikon ;)

Screenshot_2018-04-21-21-53-06.png Screenshot_2018-04-21-21-52-54.png

See, Hooded Merganser's 100 yards away :D

- Kevin

Fodderwing, Ramrodmb and Jack Black like this.
  19. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Sorry for the delay in getting another photo :( I have a problem with some of my electric fittings at the moment, and no lighting in my hall or kitchen since last Tuesday. Hoping it'll be fixed in the next couple of day :rolleyes:

The posts on these has been a great education :) :thumbsup:

20. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    Fear.

It's a human response to prime you for fight or flight. Not being a MD I guess it speeds up your reflexes and sharpens your focus. I've felt real fear only a few times in my life, like in my young wilder days running around D.C. with the wrong crowd doing things that we weren't supposed to be dong, in a part of town we weren't supposed to be in, when a gun went off in my face at 2am in the morning, or later in my settled married life when my son John was 12 years old and got hit by a car while ridings bike. The mad rush to the hospital after getting the call, with he the worst case scenarios going through my mind. But all that was needed was a cast for broken leg.

But now I feel real fear again, and there's nothing I can do. There's nobody I can shoot back at. My better half, and I do mean better half, Karen, has been diagnosed with breast cancer and it's a helpless feeling that I have to rely on others now. Doctors, MRI tech's, people I don't know. Having been a stubborn and self reliant cuss, I don't do well relying on others. Surgery is scheduled for next week, and all I can do is just stand by. This woman is more than a wife's he's been a best friend, lover, shooting buddy, and a few times my co-conspirator. I really think she saved my life from the wild and sometimes dumbo I was in my younger days to a real person. Now after a lifetime together, I'm unable to see any kind of life without her.

I hate fear. I know I've got a sometimes pugnacious personality, and I don't handle inaction well. I want to reach across a desk and clobber the enemy, try to break a blackthorn stick over some skull, or shoot something. But theres no enemy I can confront. A disease leaving nothing to strike against for the layman, so I have to rely on some doctors that we don't know, to get my wife through this. The surgeon and oncologist all seem like nice people, but this is just another job to them.

It's going to be a hard time.