"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Anglers go through a transition, catch a fish, catch a limit, catch a big fish, catch a bigger fish, catch harder fish. That's more or less paraphrased from a comment by Nick Lyons. I've caught thousands of trout over the years but I'm not a big fan of eating them.

There’s one more. After you’ve done all that, the very best thing is helping someone else catch a fish.

Trout Hound Trout Hound our SCDNR trout biologist told me to take some larger fish from a restored brook trout stream (all pure applachian strain, DNA tested). The stream won't support a lot of fish. I never see another angler. It had all the browns and (reproducing) rainbows removed. We have some dams and falls to keep the streambred rainbows out. Keep in mind these are "step across" streams with a large fish being 8". Most won't get tangled up in a rhododenrum tunnel for a sardine sized trout.

Last edited:
Trout Hound Trout Hound our SCDNR trout biologist told me to take some larger fish from a restored brook trout stream (all pure applachian strain, DNA tested). The stream won't support a lot of fish. I never see another angler. I had all the browns and (reproducing) rainbows removed. We have some dams and falls to keep the streambred rainbows out. Keep in mind these are "step across" streams with a large fish being 8". Most won't get tangled up in a rhododenrum tunnel for a sardine sized trout.

Good to know, I hadn’t heard that before. Those are my favorite streams to fish!

A coworker at the farm store asked if I had my knife today. I replied, as I usually do, with, “What do you need to cut?” I looked over to see that she was trying to pry the access panel off an ornery label printer. I said, “We don’t use knives for prying. We use prying tools for prying, and cutting tools for cutting.” She replied with, “Well, do you have a prying tool?” I said, “Sure do!” and produced my keys with my trusty CRAFTSMAN 4-WAY SCREWDRIVER!!! She said, “Of course you do.” :D

A coworker at the farm store asked if I had my knife today. I replied, as I usually do, with, “What do you need to cut?” I looked over to see that she was trying to pry the access panel off an ornery label printer. I said, “We don’t use knives for prying. We use prying tools for prying, and cutting tools for cutting.” She replied with, “Well, do you have a prying tool?” I said, “Sure do!” and produced my keys with my trusty CRAFTSMAN 4-WAY SCREWDRIVER!!! She said, “Of course you do.” :D
Of course!
20180609_220042-01.jpeg

Man, I am worn out. I decided to expand my cooking horizons recently and am trying some new recipes. Today I made japchae (Korean glass noodle stir fry with beef and mixed vegetables). It turned out well, but it was a challenging recipe. Lots of opportunities to use my cooking knives, but I was on my feet a long time getting everything ready (including getting the kitchen squared away and sharpening my knives first). 18 ingredients, 9 of which required knife work, 4 marinades or seasoning mixtures that you make, 10 separate cooking steps. I am about halfway through cleaning up the kitchen and washing all of the mixing bowls, skillets, pots, and utensils that were needed.

It was good, though.

Man, I am worn out. I decided to expand my cooking horizons recently and am trying some new recipes. Today I made japchae (Korean glass noodle stir fry with beef and mixed vegetables). It turned out well, but it was a challenging recipe. Lots of opportunities to use my cooking knives, but I was on my feet a long time getting everything ready (including getting the kitchen squared away and sharpening my knives first). 18 ingredients, 9 of which required knife work, 4 marinades or seasoning mixtures that you make, 10 separate cooking steps. I am about halfway through cleaning up the kitchen and washing all of the mixing bowls, skillets, pots, and utensils that were needed.

It was good, though.
That's why short of kalbi which we marinade a grill three of four times a year, we just go to Korean restaurants.

As is the case when you decide to cook something, you usually have lots of ingredients left over because you can't buy "1/4 of a red bell pepper" or "1/2 medium onion." So this morning, I went for more typical fare and made a 3-egg omelette with onions, mushrooms, spinach, red bell pepper, bacon, and swiss cheese. Gotta use that stuff up somehow. :D

That's the nice thing about eggs in general. You can fold in about anything and end up with something tasty.

Eggs and potatoes are two of the most versatile foods in both the number of ways they can be prepared and how well they pair with other foods.

One of the things we used to do when I was growing up was add eggs to the sauce when making spaghetti. You drop them in individually at the very end and let them cook through without stirring the sauce. It's a good alternative to meatballs for some variety. People often think it's strange when told about it, yet most I know of who tried it said they liked it.

We didn't do it all the time, just if we wanted something different or had some eggs that needed to be used up.

When I make a pot of ramen noodles, I usually drop two or three eggs into the boiling water, right after I add the noodles. An egg will poach in 2 1/2 to 3 minutes, the same time it takes the noodles. They add protein and richen the soup.

when I was a kid, every so often we'd have grits for dinner on Friday night and dad would drop an egg in after dishing out a bowlfull -- by the time the grits were cool enough to eat, the egg was cooked.

On my key ring for years.

Sears%25204-Way%2520and%2520P38.JPG

Back