"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I remember going to visit Hersheytown, PA as a kid. The locals said that they couldn't smell it unless they went away for a bit and came back.

I just got back from a week in NYC. I had a nice visit with family, which included a day at Coney Island. If y'all get a chance to go there, check out the B&B Carousell.

For decades, Coney Island was something of a carousel headquarters. In the late 1800s, carousel makers set up shops there and by the turn of the century two dozen merry-go-rounds were operating on the island. There even evolved a Coney Island school of carousel design, distinct from the more staid Philadelphia and County Fair styles. The Coney Island style was characterized by a flamboyant, aggressive-looking horse — neck straining, nostrils flaring and tongue lolling.

The B&B was built in Coney Island, with a frame dating to 1906, and at some point it operated in New Jersey, although it it unclear for how long. In the early 1920s it received a new set of horses that were carved by Charles Carmel, one of Coney Island’s celebrated carousel makers. It had returned to Brooklyn by 1935. -
nytimes
View attachment 968695 View attachment 968696
And here I thought you weren't posting anything because you were mad at us ;) I think you have like 10 pages in the "Old Knives" thread to get caught up on :D

Last edited:
And here I thought you weren't posting anything because you were mad at us ;) I think you have like 10 pages in the "Old Knives" thread to get caught up on :D
Ha! I look forward to catching up. (I may have to skip a bit in the 'toting' thread, since I can barely keep up with that one when I'm reading it daily)

Hey guys & gals.... I just wanted to chime in here for a short look.

I was an incredible stressful year until now with the house and a lot of work to do, because of the way too early passing of my dad. I miss every day more.

So I was no longer in touch with you guys and it doesn´t seem to get lighter in any way...

Andi, nice to see you here again and sincere condolences for the loss of your father my friend. Hope you, your wife and Max? are well.

Thanks for the kind words, Paul. It has been on the 30th November 2017 when my dad passed. But it still hurts. Maybe time will change that. Yeah, my family is fine so far. Our son is almost four and a half year old. Almost a real rascal ... something he must have got from his mom :)

I grew up in a small town that had a Hunts food factory. The whole town smelled horrible during tomato season :eek:
Reminds me of the Purina plant not far from where I grew up. Smelled like dried Dog food.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words, Paul. It has been on the 30th November 2017 when my dad passed. But it still hurts. Maybe time will change that. Yeah, my family is fine so far. Our son is almost four and a half year old. Almost a real rascal ... something he must have got from his mom :)
My Dad physically left this Earth in December of 2010 but he is still alive and well in my heart and memories. As time passed, thinking about it that way helped the hurt go away... I still think about him every day and smile :)

Servus Andi! Although things have been very trying for you it is with happiness that I and others hear from you again:thumbsup: I don't often talk about personal issues-except banal or amusing ones- but I know your emptiness at the death of your father. Thirty two years ago last month my father died and for me the sky fell in. I can honestly say not a day has passed without me thinking of him, we were not very similar in background or job but he always knew how to cheer me up and he was a man with a lot of satirical humour and dignity. I stood by the hearse as his coffin was taken out, some of his ex colleagues had appeared-people I and my family felt animosity towards, but he towered above them in death as he did in life. However, I draw strength from his memory and I know that he would never want people to be cast down by his death. It matters not what religion or belief or ethics a person holds, but what he feels but may not voice that is the key.

I hope that you can relax a bit and enjoy sharing your thoughts and pictures of your knives once again.:thumbsup:

Warmest regards, Will

About smells.....:cool::D

There used to be an animal fodder factory near here and the boil up days could be pretty ripe :eek:
When I was living further north-never again...:D there were numerous pulp and cellulose plants, they really reek. But I remember going to a small town in Italy that had this appalling stink, really foul and then I found out it was from some tannery of hides! Every time I look at my Italian leather sofa I remember..Amarcord:D:eek:

In 2003 Nestle closed it's Fulton, N.Y. factory, started in 1899. Driving into town you were enveloped in the smell of chocolate. I'm no chocolate addict but even I loved it!
We are fortunate to still have our Nestle plant and still have the very nice aroma when they are roasting the beans .

Harry

My favorite local roaster closed up shop. That is a true shame, because there is nothing like fresh ground coffee made from roasted-that-week beans. Pouring the hot water in and watching the "bloom" form, waiting for it to subside before adding more water. Great coffee. I'll miss that.

Good to see you, Andi. I hope things lighten up for you.
When my dad died 17 years ago, I asked a senior colleague if you ever get over it, and she didn't say anything. My eyes are watering a bit now, so I guess the answer is no.

When I was a youngster, my room window opened on two factories, a coffe/ toffees plant and an industrial delicatessens. Depending wether the wind blew East or West, I had the first course or the dessert. :eek:
That must have been wonderful!

Hey guys & gals.... I just wanted to chime in here for a short look.

I was an incredible stressful year until now with the house and a lot of work to do, because of the way too early passing of my dad. I miss every day more.

So I was no longer in touch with you guys and it doesn´t seem to get lighter in any way...
I'm glad to see your post, Andi. My dad passed in 2005. His birthday was 3 days ago. I still mist up when I think about him, but sometimes I smile when I do now.

Back