1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Jul 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Perhaps you should report it actually? The more thefts or damage being left unreported could make it a worse situation. I think the PO s in most countries take postal theft extremely seriously and most postal workers loathe thieves amongst them, point of honour. Also, you sure the sender didn't send you a crudely opened box in the first place? Been known....and they should tape up boxes/envelopes generously to stop loss or opportunistic theft.

Mind you, tape is hell when you get it all over a blade :eek: only WD-40 seems to shift it

2. JB in SC

JB in SC Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2001
    Was it shipped signature confirmation?

3. r redden

r redden Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 23, 2015
    As has been very noticeable I have pretty much been absent from the porch for close to a year but I hope I am back to resume my seat and interact with you fine folks much more than I have in quite a while. I have come a long ways and actually just recently bought the first couple of knives I've been able to buy in a long time. So now I start the long but hopefully fun task of starting to build a new collection. I've thought about how to build this next bunch of knives by brand, pattern and so on. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to knifes so like the first collection it will most likely be random and be comprised of what catches my eye. I am going to try not to buy just for the sake of buying another knife.

To celebrate I want to do what those of you that know me know what I like to do "GIVE AWAY A KNIFE" I bought this Case Tribal Spear from the exchange to give away.

I just checked USPS and it's on the way.
    [​IMG]

Going to start this in a few days if anyone else would like to participate I don't mind the more the merrier :D:D.

4. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Good to know we're going to seeing more of you Randy :) I'm sat here typing in my Asheville T-shirt :) :thumbsup:

r redden, Fodderwing and Wurrwulf like this.
  5. Jolipapa

Jolipapa Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2015
    I once sent a bottle to a friend that arrived broken (the bottle that is, not the friend ;)).
    I laid a claim as the box was sold as specially intended for carrying a bottle and correctly wrapped. It appeared that it has been probably intentionally broken. I received the compensation as supposed.
    Tracking n° was very practical in that case.
    This said, I paid enough to learn that there's a few destinations (not necessarily far away) where it is better to use a strong gaffer if you want the parcel to remain pristine because postmen or whoever handles it is curious of what is inside the box! :mad:

6. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    Scored a 1936 New Guinea penny this week.

I love copper coins.

7. Jolipapa

Jolipapa Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2015
  8. veitsi_poika

veitsi_poika Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 25, 2016
    When my wife and I first moved into our new construction home in 2015, it had no landscaping whatsoever:

FL-1A.JPG

She wanted to turn the area along the garage wall into a flower bed that would bring in "pollinators" like bees, hummingbirds and butterflies... so with my ground prep and her planting skills, this is what it looks like nowadays:

FL-1B.JPG

And we have guests :)

FL-1C.JPG
    FL-1D.JPG
    FL-1E.JPG

9. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Kevin that is spectacular!!! A botanical wonder. I can only imagine the winged visitors...

veitsi_poika likes this.
  10. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Is there some solvent, or whatever, that you can rub onto bone covers to lighten them? You occasionally hear about bone dye coming off a knife accidentally, but if you had covers where one was considerably darker than the other and you wanted to even them out, is there something you can do to lighten the darker one without changing its basic color? Thanks for any and all responses!

11. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Is anybody else excited for the start of football season?
    American tackle football, just to be clear. :D :cool: :cool:
    [​IMG]

waverave likes this.
  12. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    John, since I'm a fan of Purdue and of the Detroit Lions, I'm going to have to admit that I'm not especially excited about the start of football season. :rolleyes:

- GT

13. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    Oh no!
    49ers_logo.png

14. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    I'm not expecting greatness from my team either. But a fan no matter what.
    Lol. I like the Niners, in fact I like all the teams.
    I'm super excited to see the Niners getting much better. Should be a couple of good competitive games this year. But... Go Hawks :)

waverave likes this.
  15. waverave

Jun 7, 2018
    Yeah I am hoping for some good games either way...I have been seriously depressed last few years as a Niner's fan :) It is good to have a little bit of excitement now. I'm cool with Sherman joining the team but have mixed feelings...the eating of Thanksgiving dinner on the 50 yd line will never be forgotten lol.

JohnDF likes this.
  16. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    An epic moment in Hawks history :)

waverave likes this.
  17. waverave

Jun 7, 2018
    picard-facepalm.jpg

Jack Black and JohnDF like this.
  18. Wurrwulf

Wurrwulf Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    You know what the start of football season means, right? Only a couple more months til basketball!

[​IMG]

:D:D

Surely, I'll be rooting for LSU and the Saints, but after paying waaay too much attention to the season last year (first time playing Fantasy Football), I plan to scale it back a bit. Spending 12+ hours per weekend watching football was, frankly, exhausted and burned me out a bit.

r redden, waverave and JohnDF like this.
  19. waverave

Jun 7, 2018
    On my office wall :) Go Dubs!
    Dubs!!!.jpg

20. r redden

r redden Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 23, 2015
    I am from and still live in NC so this is a no brainer for me.

[​IMG]

JohnDF and waverave like this.