Carothers and Guns

Was BS'ing with Eric (aka little dorky not to mistake with the new guy aka BIGDORK :D ) and something he sent me piqued my interest to look up something which I have had in my wishlist for a long time and since I say this, I said fudge it, as long as it doesn't fire backwards, I just gotta go for it, LOL:

zWUPoQp.png

If this order gets filled, I'll be very very happy and will try my worst to make good on the indecent proposal which already I made Eric (don't hold your breath though phatboy!). I reckon that I'll be hiding in the weeds for their sale on glass to score a decent one and then my rifle hunt will be complete, for now :)

Mat, Is that a Ruger Scout Rifle?

LOL nor really! I just got an email informing me that my Ruger Scout Rifle order from earlier on was cancelled after being notified earlier that it was being processed. Oh welp, we tried :(

That "scout" style rifle with the forward rail is really designed for a forward-mounted (long eye relief) type scope, for rapid target acquisition. But the "scout scopes" generally are not high magnification (Leupold makes a 1.5 x 4 power), so if you want to shoot longer distancs, then you'd probably want something that goes up to at least 6 or 7 power. Lots of choices out there, over a large range of prices, but when it comes to optics, I've learned over the years the false economy of cheap optics...

That "scout" style rifle with the forward rail is really designed for a forward-mounted (long eye relief) type scope, for rapid target acquisition. But the "scout scopes" generally are not high magnification (Leupold makes a 1.5 x 4 power), so if you want to shoot longer distancs, then you'd probably want something that goes up to at least 6 or 7 power. Lots of choices out there, over a large range of prices, but when it comes to optics, I've learned over the years the false economy of cheap optics...

They saved me the hassle :D

Another "keep my sanity during the pandemic" gun project done...for the most part. Cut barrel back to 10"...check. Drill suppressed setting gas port..check. Damn Haga ACR adapter come in today..check..

May end up SBRing it. It's by far the most fun platform in this caliber I've ever shot

fdrWHnx.jpg

I haven't built an AR in around 8 years. Back then a quad rail wylde 1/9 was the bees knees. After playing with this bcm mk2 elw mlok I definitely waited too long... It feels like a toy but shoots better than a government/m4.

It's so good I felt the need to order a new striped lower to build just for this upper. I'll get a few pictures once I wrap the build.

Also I cut some foam today ;)

I also finally got around to doing some of the home-smithing which I had wanted to do to my Benelli SuperNova shotty:

7sK0OU3.jpg

The Mesa Tactical Urbino stock had already been replaced with the Benelli stock for a shorter LoP (I have T-Rex type physique!) but I had just fudged it in the past so this time I went ahead and added the MT cast to be able to add a QD later on for the sling (you can see it right above the pistol grip) plus I passed the tang(?) properly through the provided bracket to be able to attached a sling in that slotted area on the stock; the problem with the swivel attachment was that the darn shotty would twist on me while doing drills with the sling attached. To be able to mount the sling totally on the side, I have to get the MXT bracket (I'll probably get the one with the Picatinny rail for flashlight attachment too) but I dread marring and marking the Benelli barrel (I don't care about the extension tube getting marked).

The extension tube is also MXT which came with the magazine spiring which needed to be tailored and trimmed. MXT recommended 8-12 extra inches past the tube but I went with the full 12" to have a tighter spring as the MXT spring didn't feel as well made as the much shorter factory spring. When the Benelli SuperNova came outta factory box, it was a 2+1 but if you remove the limiter which it comes with, it then becomes a 4+1. My MXT extension is supposedly a 6+1 but mine is now a tight 7+1 when loading it with A-Zoom's aluminum snap-caps shells. These shells measure just a tad over 2.25" which are a smidgen shorter than crimped 2 3/4" rifled slugs, exactly the same length to the eye as compared to 2 3/4" #4 buckshots and finally a smidgen longer than star-crimped range/target birdshot. I don't mess around with live shells inside the house so didn't try with live shells and just had to eyeball things instead!

The next on the to-do list is the Mesa Tactical side-saddle with the picatinny rail. This SuperNova model has a nice ghost-ring and front dot sights from factory but they unfortunately they are not night-sights. The night-sights from Benelli are too expensive for what they are so I can add a bot more and go with an RMR instead since I have the check-riser. Any recommendations for red-dot / RMR for a 12 gauge? something in the $350ish range that can withstand the recoil of a 12 gauge. Maybe should just get a Trijicon for around $600 and call it a day? Thanks for your suggestions :)

ETA: I will then own a poor man's M4 but still divided by 2 on its best day :p

Last edited:
i can wait for the sales, coupons and that sorta stuff as I’m not in any rush. I can also look at some Aimpoint versions.

I really like Holosun 507c for a comparable rds, the SRO is pretty nice too with the larger window. For a shotgun I'd probably run a Delta point pro for the larger window.

The Shield is a really light and low cost MRDS that cowitnesses with stock sights so you can save money there, for a shotgun it's kind of irrelevant but for a pistol its great. Cheers, nice gun!

I really like Holosun 507c for a comparable rds, the SRO is pretty nice too with the larger window. For a shotgun I'd probably run a Delta point pro for the larger window.

The Shield is a really light and low cost MRDS that cowitnesses with stock sights so you can save money there, for a shotgun it's kind of irrelevant but for a pistol its great. Cheers, nice gun!

Thank you for your suggestion, I will be looking it up :)

A question: since I already have these decent sights, do you recommend a 1/3 co-witness or full co-witness? I was leaning toward 1/3rd.

Thank you for your suggestion, I will be looking it up :)

A question: since I already have these decent sights, do you recommend a 1/3 co-witness or full co-witness? I was leaning toward 1/3rd.

I personally run all 1/3 cowitness but that's just my personal preference. I don't like all the extra stuff in my view that you get with full cowitness.

The benefit to full cowitness though is it is way easier to zero since you have a reference point already zeroed, you just need to line up the dot to the sights.

Also with full cowitness, many people rely on the iron sights as backups in case of rds failure. I think the "RDS being not reliable and always needing back up iron sights" is an old tired statement. the modern red dots are as reliable if not more reliable than iron sights. even the Military is using them now. I have rifles with no iron sights, only red dots on them and I have never missed them.

the new 1 MOA and 2 MOA dots are also far more accurate than a giant front post blocking the whole target. I believe they allow for more accuracy and an open field of view.

edit: to clarify reliable. If you hit iron sights against a rock hard enough you can lose zero, I've seen eotechs that took a 308 and still hold zero.

Last edited:
Back