Case Seahorse

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Well, I sold my Sowbelly in CV, just never could cotton up to CV and while most love it, I don't. My plans were to get one similar in stainless but after looking around I ended up getting a nice looking Case Seahorse with the diamond shield on there, that main blade certainly looks THICK, hope that is still a good cutter, the two smaller blades both look useful, we'll see how it goes, hope to have her here by next Tuesday!

If any of you guys or gals have one of the Seahorse models, please feel free to post some images to help make the wait tolerable ;)

G2

Very thick! It's a neat pattern. I was told the main is thick for the heavy work and the secondary blades are thin for the detail work. I'll dig up some pics.

my only one though ive been meaning to score another one, this is a 2003 i bought a new few years back, tiny hardware store had a case display had to blow the dust of the box:) love the pattern and yeas the main blade is thick at the spine
Gene
PS picture was when it was new, although cant seem to get myself to really carry it much need a plainer version lol
007t.jpg

Thanks guys, that helps, the one I have coming in is a Case XX 2nd Cut Crimson Bone Seahorse Whittler, inbound from CollectorKnives.
G2

Very nice collection there! thanks!
G2

Here's a video that made me cave in and get this one, I hope the one inbound is as nice looking and fit up as well as this one is.

[video=youtube;Ttctso1WE98]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttctso1WE98[/video]

G2

I'll admit this is not one of my users. It's a safe queen and that's okay by me. But that doesn't take away how great a pattern this knife is. I've meant to get a second to carry, but alas.......:rolleyes:
qer6mW4.jpg

Reactions: aih
Wow Michael, she's all dolled up, I'd say that certainly fits the roll of a Safe Queen :)

Since Mike Latham aka knifeswapper is a BladeForums dealer, here is a link to his site for the knife I ordered Seahorse whittler

Looks like Monday is a holiday so it's slated to arrive on Tuesday...I'll post some pics up later that night!

If any of you guys or girls have videos of your Seahorse, that'd be handy to view as well !

G2

The Crimson Bone looks to be a nice one Gary. Looking forward to the pics! :thumbup:

I've always been attracted to Case's Seahorse Whittler pattern. Those being shown here are making my trigger finger itch.... again.

I like the one with the scrolled bolsters especially. Very nice!

Well, I sold my Sowbelly in CV, just never could cotton up to CV and while most love it, I don't. My plans were to get one similar in stainless but after looking around I ended up getting a nice looking Case Seahorse with the diamond shield on there, that main blade certainly looks THICK, hope that is still a good cutter, the two smaller blades both look useful, we'll see how it goes, hope to have her here by next Tuesday!

If any of you guys or gals have one of the Seahorse models, please feel free to post some images to help make the wait tolerable ;)

G2

Sorry to hear the "sowbelly experiment" didn't work out, Gary. But there's no doubt the Seahorse Whittler is a real looker!! :thumbup::thumbup:
Looking forward to hearing how you like it! :p

- GT

I tend to agree with you about cv Gary, I don't really go along with the chorus of it's fantastic. CASE stainless is very OK for pocket-knives aimed at pocket-knife chores, no batoning, cutting wire hawsers etc. :eek::D It will sharpen deadly sharp and stays keen for what I need, no corrosion, no imparting flavours on food, no constant attention..:thumbup:

I like the shield and bone on he one you've ordered. The master blade is thick and strong but it will slice for sure, it's naturally a Whittling pattern so it has this combo of blades and thicknesses to tackle carving. It's also a very beautiful pattern, a single spring two blade version would be a knife nirvana for me:cool:

Here's the one I got last year in Smooth Chestnut Bone. I bought 5-6 CASE knives new over the past year or so, all have been first-class in finish and detail, really good

Thanks, Will

IMG_0565.jpg

That's very pretty one there Will, thanks for sharing and also glad I'm not alone on the whole cv thing ;) or just carbon in general, I know that must sound sacrilegious but it is what it is for me.

G2

I have spent a lot of time searching for my next traditional and, thanks to you Gary - I finally found it! I just ordered the "Worm Groove Moss Brown Seahorse" with SS blades. Unfortunately I could not find one from our list of supporting dealers.

nf12pJ.jpg

I have decided that all of my knives, going forward, are going to be stainless. So, you are not alone!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Eric

Now that's very pretty and I love that shield too, looks very cleanly made and the bone looks great, colour me green with envy ;)
G2

The Seahorse is a great whittler, I have three. Two have been honed to whittle and one sits in case I loose the other two. Spend time using it then put a convex edge on it and if you whittle it will become your go to knife. The heavy main blade and handle is the absolutely best design I have come across to actually whittle, well i actually am a carver but whittle is an accepatable term . ENJOY.

Back