1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Case Seahorse

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Gary W. Graley, Feb 13, 2015.

1. LaughingBones

LaughingBones

Dec 26, 2014

Man I'm telling ha! That green bone 38 really does it for me. For some reason I can justify about $70, But over $100 is hard when you have kids and a wife to keep happy. I almost know for a fact if I bought one I'd rarely touch Case knives again.

2. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    Yep, they are beautiful knives those #38's but, I'm hanging back until they produce them in stainless steel blades, yes...yes...I know, I'm a fuddy duddy about that, but I'm pretty set on that point.

And all you Seahorse fans of this thread, yes I am selling my latest Seahorse but only to help fund a Bose/Case knife I have set my sights on and since I don't collect for collecting sake, I move in order to get something new, so she's on the forsale section now, I will miss her but I'm looking forward to this newest edition that is coming.

G2

3. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    I understand your enthusiasm for stainless Gary, I love a stainless knife and don't mind who knows:D Sometimes get the feeling on this Forum that you almost have to be hang-dog about liking stainless.....:eek:;)

Nevertheless, I think GEC have produced a much better knife than the CASE Seahorse in its 38. The master blade is very long and proportional and the minor blades superior to the CASE. Yes I'd be in raptures if they made them in their 440c. But in the meantime, I reckon if you got one of these Gary it would not be appearing on the For Sale thread for a very long time.:cool:

Thanks, Will

[​IMG]

4. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    now, you are a big help Will lol that certainly looks like a great flow of blade and handle !
    G2

edited to add, had to look up the definition of Abattoir ...didn't want to end up there :)

5. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Gathering up knives to take to the Oregon Show, I thought I'd better take scans while I have the chance! Since I love Wharncliffe Whittlers, which a Case Seahorse IS essentially, I will compare it to some contemporary whittlers as well, and wake up this thread at the same time!:) (hope that sentence makes sense!!):rolleyes:
    Seahorse Grp to Ore 1.jpg

6. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Here's the comparison I mentioned above. From the top in each picture the knives are:
    GEC #38 Grinling - 2015 (American Whittler)
    Case #6355WH (Case Bros. Comm.)
    Schrade Walden #804
    Case XX USA NKCA 1976
    Seahorse Comp grp 1.jpg Seahorse Comp grp 2.jpg Seahorse Comp grp 3.jpg Seahorse Comp grp 4.jpg

Will Power, Nature Boy, pmek5 and 6 others like this.
  7. blademan 13

blademan 13 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 25, 2000
    Very nice, Charlie! Love the blade finish on the Schrade. Those American Whittlers are certainly a fine knife.

8. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Thanks, Jamie!! And I agree with you on both counts!!:)

9. tomsch

tomsch Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 31, 2004
    Love the Seahorses here. I've been on the lookout for an ATS-34 version for years now.

10. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    I wish you the best in finding one, tomsch!!

11. Gary W. Graley

Mar 2, 1999
    Good to see this thread re-visited again ! It's been a while since I've owned an actual Sea Horse folder, my recent acquisition is similar but more a smaller clip point whittler, which I prefer due to it's slimmer main blade, shape of the frame is along the same lines as a Sea Horse with it's curves and two small blades.

[​IMG]Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

and of course the stag is very nice ;)

G2

12. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Nice knife, Gary!! I like the size also.

Gary W. Graley likes this.
  13. MadTrapper

MadTrapper

Dec 30, 2005
    I love the Seahorse pattern by Case. I wish that Case would offer a few more from time to time. Believe it or not, there are a few of us who get a little tired of the Trapper pattern being offered in every possible color, handle, advertising, promotion, and etc...

OLd_gUY, grogimus, waynorth and 3 others like this.
  14. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Jul 4, 2017
    Here's mine in smooth chestnut bone with a whistle I made from wild cherry. I'm finding the Wharncliffe to be an excellent whittling blade (at least for my nascent skills).

[​IMG]

Ice Tigre, Will Power, jwb01 and 4 others like this.
  15. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Nice knife, Ace!! I like the whistle too!
    I'd love to know how you made it!!
    Can you add a couple more pictures??

16. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Jul 4, 2017
    I was afraid someone was going to ask that! :D Yes, give me a little time and I'll post something. It's quite easy once you have the basic dimensions.

17. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Jul 4, 2017
    Between my photo and this cutaway sketch you shouldn't have any trouble making one. Dimensions are approximate and drilling deeper should make a lower note. I forgot to include the drill diameter; the instructions say 1/4" to 3/8". Be sure to trim any "fuzz" where the notch meets the drilled hole.

[​IMG]

Ice Tigre likes this.
  18. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Thanks Ace!! I will have to select a knife (to make it legal here!) and document my first attempt.

Ice Tigre and Ace Rimmer like this.
  19. pwest

pwest

Apr 10, 2013
    Back to the Seahorses, it looks to me like some of these (maybe the older ones) are 3.5" closed and others (most?) are 4" closed. Is this correct? If so, I'd love to see a picture of both along w/a ruler so I could compare main blade sizes.