Case Seahorse

Thanks Dean and yes, the Race is over...for now ;)

The first one was very nice, the Fancy one was an impulse buy and the G10 was just a looksee type thing but I sort of knew down deep I wanted to get back to a jigged bone scaled folder and there she be.

G2

Thanks and yes she's the one, now just have to make a sheath for her.
G2

Just picked up a much wanted Case Seahorse yesterday for my birthday at a Case Outlet store. I got to hand pick it out of 8 choices in this color, which was a first for me. I love it!

That's pretty sweet ! congrats on being able to look over a batch to choose from! Kinda scary opening those blades to those positions isn't it :) I just touched up my main blade on a spyderco double stuff, didn't need much, but it never hurts to keep things touched up ;)

G2

That's pretty sweet ! congrats on being able to look over a batch to choose from! Kinda scary opening those blades to those positions isn't it :) I just touched up my main blade on a spyderco double stuff, didn't need much, but it never hurts to keep things touched up ;)

G2

Gary it was awesome being able to choose. If you look close it looks way better in person with the black, the Crimson and there is a touch of purple. Walk and talk is great!

This is my only seahorse.

DSC_1303%202_zpsuidxexio.jpg

DSC_1301%202_zpsmgjsoych.jpg

Very Very nice SK! You too LB!

I'm going to try some more whittling with my whittlers. This time slow, and easy. Anyone else whittle with their 'Horse?

Eric

I whittle with this one some.

001_zpsa4148ba1.jpg~original
[/IMG]

Though not as much as with some other knives, maybe I should sell it.

Some whittlins

002_zps839283d7.jpg~original
[/IMG]

016_zps7bfc0394.jpg~original
[/IMG]

Indeed, very nice carvings there!

My most used blade on the Seahorse is probably the coping blade, super keen and handy with the long handle to control.

G2

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Y'know, whittlin' is a lot like playing a musical instrument (though I think easier to learn and enjoy). You have to start and you have to do it (practice). I really think that anyone who wants to and is capable of walking and chewing gum at the same time, can learn to have fun with this.

Like any kind of skill, masterpieces will not occur during the first few attempts. Stick with it. Your skills will improve, and you will enjoy the process even in the early stages (unlike with musical instruments!).

Mistakes are inevitable. Since we learn more from our mistakes than from our success, we need to learn to make our mistakes faster!

An always remember, that whittlers/carvers are just making designer firewood anyway.

...An always remember, that whittlers/carvers are just making designer firewood anyway.

Hehe, true statement there for sure! and a quote from one of my guilty pleasure movies, "how do you get to Carnegie Hall ? Practice, practice, practice..."

G2

I am curious as to what angle you guys were able to get the main blade sharpened to. I tried doing some work with it and for woodworking the factory edge isn't doing the trick. I'm using an Arkansas stone and have made progress to about 30 degrees inclusive, but I guess the original grind was way off because I am only able to get the mid section of the blade razor sharp. The stone isn't even touching the bevel around the tip or the hind part of the blade and I can still see the original grind lines in those areas. Any tips would be great.

Hmm I dunno angle from dangle on these things so I'm not much help in that respect, I sharpen by hand but possibly about the only person that does it the way I do it, I hold the stone in my left and the knife in my right and I basically strop the blade against the stone, going across the stone at about a 45 degree angle, tip to heel and then I flip the knife over and bring it back towards me, again tip to heel.

Some of these knives have some not so nice factory edges on them, my recent purchase wasn't as bad to sharpen as some other, but it still takes time to do it well.
G2

Hmm I dunno angle from dangle on these things so I'm not much help in that respect, I sharpen by hand but possibly about the only person that does it the way I do it, I hold the stone in my left and the knife in my right and I basically strop the blade against the stone, going across the stone at about a 45 degree angle, tip to heel and then I flip the knife over and bring it back towards me, again tip to heel.

Some of these knives have some not so nice factory edges on them, my recent purchase wasn't as bad to sharpen as some other, but it still takes time to do it well.
G2

Thanks for the reply Gary! I've got it pretty sharp, but just for the life of me I can not get it razor sharp. Maybe 1095 has me spoiled? I'm wondering if this main blade is even designed to be razor sharp? I'm just gonna put a 40 degree micro bevel on and call it good. I was just bragging about Case in another thread and now that I've been touching up these edges on this knife, the factory grinds are all over the place. Now the OCD has kicked in and I'm trying to get a nice even grind on all of them and it is not a bed of roses let me tell ya. Maybe I need to buy a GEC, just to compare.

Sounds like you are just about there! it's like magic when you do finally get to that point. Now, all three blades of mine will shave hair, neatly, took some work but they seem to be keeping that pretty well. For me, the 1095 just seems to go too quick and needs sharpened sooner, maybe it sharpens a little easier but I couldn't put up with that on folders at least.

BUT, that GEC #38 is sure tempting ;)
G2

Back