Case Seahorse

That's VERY handsome Gary.
Congrats on finding that one.

Hey Gary, thanks for selling me the second cut one, and folks let me tell you, you can see from these pictures and videos that he makes a mean sheath, but I think he sharpens a knife just as well. I've been using the small pen blade to cut paracord for all of my lanyards, bracelets and watchbands since I got the knife...and it hasn't failed me yet.

I know. That sheath. I honestly can't stop thinking about it. If I had some extra loot hanging around I would try to bribe him into making one for me! I'm sure his edges are just as amazing.

Can't wait to see the new 'Horse!

Eric

Gary, it's interesting to see you go through this journey for the perfect Seahorse. It's a beautiful pattern. I hope you find "the One."

And you really do great sheath work. I have one you made for my Umfaan in 2001 that still looks fantastic.

Dean

Thanks guys, I was hoping it might have been delivered today but that was not the case...get it...not the Case ;) sometimes I slay me lol...but with good fortune it should be here on Monday and I'll get a photo up on that. This one has the "as Ground Blades' so they are more satin looking than they usual mirror polished blades, I think they will be easier to maintain as well.

G2

Gary,
Thanks to you and your posse of enablers here on the porch I ended up ordering a Seahorse which, coincidentally, is the exact same configuration that you are waiting on![emoji15]

Mine won't be here till late next week so I will appease myself with yours and others photos and related experiences.[emoji1]

Nice sir! glad to be of help ;) and here's hoping your edges arrive in good shape, the G10 wasn't too bad, it would slice receipt paper easily on arrival. But some time on the stones has her all trimmed proper now.

Also I noticed the smaller blades spines are quite crisp on these, I round them over so they are smooth, both for use and also while gripping the knife while using the main blade, so keep that in mind, you can always make things your own, just take it slowly and I'd recommend taping off the open handle to prevent any metal dust from floating in where you might not appreciate it.

G2

Just a quick word on whittling, I think sometimes a small fixed blade knife designed for whittling is probably your best and safest bet, while I did a little whittling with the Seahorse knives, they worked ok, I have another knife that isn't a Seahorse, small congress by Parker, and the blades work well for whittling, BUT the back spring on that slip joint is quite weak and one blade folded up on me as I was drilling into the wood, luckily with my ninja like speed I was able to move my fingers from the path of the closing blade ;) but, talk about a life lesson! The back springs on the Seahorse are far stronger than this one, but still just a word of caution for all you would be whittlers out there, be CAREFUL when whittling, even a fixed blade you can run off the edge of the wood and into a finger, it'll ruin your whole day ;)
G2

"Ninja like speed" - LOL Gary that was funny! :D

I agree with a small fixed blade being the best for whittling. :)

well, maybe not exactly ninja speed, but close enough...this time ;)

Nice pair there Dean!
G2

Thanks, G2 and Eric.

The white is my favorite of the two, but just barely. They are both solid knives.

Dean

Gee thanks Gary, now I guess I'll just HAVE TO get one of these now. Found 'em at (non BF dealer member link removed). Just gotta have one of just about everything don't we?
Though my budget will suffer, I appreciate the heads up about a cool pattern I hadn't considered yet; thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
haha you're welcome Sonny.

And yes, mine did arrive tonight, haven't had a chance to get a photo yet, but will do so soon. And it's a nice one, the jigged bone looks great fit and finish is good, these have 'As Ground Blades' so they are fresh off the sander, what I do with the main blade is take some sand paper and carefully strop the blade on the sand paper, putting the full flat side down to help smooth out that rough ground finish, not looking for the mirror polish but smooth so your finger nail doesn't catch as you run across the side of the blade. That will help with any possible corrosion as well as making it cut through material a bit easier.

G2

Hah, good timing sir, I have been busy and I don't have a dedicated place to do either my leather work or my photography so it's a messy kitchen when I drag the stuff out, but I am JUST in the process of getting the images off the card and will post them up in a few.
G2

Here she is, an a beauty she be, the jigging is quite nice on this, I prefer it to the other scales I've had before just for the texture and look, although the others were really very nice too !!!

jiggedbone_Seahorse.jpg~original

jiggedbone_Seahorse-shield.jpg~original

jiggedbone_Seahorse-back.jpg~original

jiggedbone_Seahorse-close.jpg~original

Enjoy guys/gals,

G2

Back