Case Tony Bose Collabs pic and discussion thread.

You're raining on this Case Bose parade! ;)

bfjB2sG.jpg

It often comes up because folks don't understand what they don't know... and often don't read through the topics that they are commenting on. Some of the difference in price is due to differences in manufacturing. The Case Bose knives are the only traditional knives that are cut by Wire EDM.

Here are some of my posts from page 3 of this topic that address the differences.
"A few things that aren't often talked about but definitely should be (they are a very big deal) are...

1 These knives are cut from Tony's pattern by Wire EDM. They are not punched out using dies.
2 These knives have bushings and mill relieved liners. I can state from experience that the movement of the blades has remained exceptionally smooth even after 14 years of use (muskrat), 10 years of use (Norfolk), etc.

I don't know of any other production knife made this way.

Case-Bose-2013-WharncliffeTrapper-proto2.jpg

I think Case should do a video showing the steps in making these knives. Would be great for those who are just learning about knives but would also be great for long time collectors. I know that I'd enjoy seeing the grinds and swedges put on these blades. They are so absolutely perfect that they must be made by machine. Since the plunge, grinds and swedges seem to be almost an exact reproduction of Tony's prototype, I have wondered if they were also done with wire EDM. Would be fun to see them do it.

ZzaUQK7.jpg

Here's a nice but brief post about the knives from Tony:

"The collaboration knives are much higher quality and limited numbers. They are deep cryo heat treated ATS34 and all stainless frames and bolsters with pined on shields after the 2nd year. Most of them have a bushing in the pivot and they are made to be work horses. I know several people that carry and use them. They will preform. All of these are made in the proto shop by 3 men. I have went there and helped them get started on the lockback whittler. All the parts are EDM wire cut from prototypes that I make so what they end up with is very close to what I send them. Try one, you'll like it."
excellent post if I can get in to one $300 or less I'll pick it up

You're raining on this Case Bose parade! ;)

bfjB2sG.jpg

It often comes up because folks don't understand what they don't know... and often don't read through the topics that they are commenting on. Some of the difference in price is due to differences in manufacturing. The Case Bose knives are the only traditional knives that are cut by Wire EDM.

Here are some of my posts from page 3 of this topic that address the differences.
"A few things that aren't often talked about but definitely should be (they are a very big deal) are...

1 These knives are cut from Tony's pattern by Wire EDM. They are not punched out using dies.
2 These knives have bushings and mill relieved liners. I can state from experience that the movement of the blades has remained exceptionally smooth even after 14 years of use (muskrat), 10 years of use (Norfolk), etc.

I don't know of any other production knife made this way.

Case-Bose-2013-WharncliffeTrapper-proto2.jpg

I think Case should do a video showing the steps in making these knives. Would be great for those who are just learning about knives but would also be great for long time collectors. I know that I'd enjoy seeing the grinds and swedges put on these blades. They are so absolutely perfect that they must be made by machine. Since the plunge, grinds and swedges seem to be almost an exact reproduction of Tony's prototype, I have wondered if they were also done with wire EDM. Would be fun to see them do it.

ZzaUQK7.jpg

Here's a nice but brief post about the knives from Tony:

"The collaboration knives are much higher quality and limited numbers. They are deep cryo heat treated ATS34 and all stainless frames and bolsters with pined on shields after the 2nd year. Most of them have a bushing in the pivot and they are made to be work horses. I know several people that carry and use them. They will preform. All of these are made in the proto shop by 3 men. I have went there and helped them get started on the lockback whittler. All the parts are EDM wire cut from prototypes that I make so what they end up with is very close to what I send them. Try one, you'll like it."
Thanks Jake, for sharing all of that information, as well as the video. It was a great post, and hopefully will shed a little light on the reasoning behind the retail prices on these knives. In the case of these knives, you get what you pay for. Your not paying some flipper who's trying to get rich off of you. Don't get me wrong, I can't think of any traditional, production knives that aren't worth at least close to their retail price. I also think that it's fine to make a couple of bucks, or at least recover your cost, but some of the prices that people are paying is beyond me. Everyone has the right to spend their money however they like. But as long as people are willing to pay hiked up prices, and get caught up in the hype, it'll continue. All that I'm saying is that unless you've tried the Case/Bose knives, you might be missing out. Here's my latest, that I picked up second hand for a very reasonable price. IMG_2405.JPG

Thanks Jake, for sharing all of that information, as well as the video. It was a great post, and hopefully will shed a little light on the reasoning behind the retail prices on these knives. In the case of these knives, you get what you pay for. Your not paying some flipper who's trying to get rich off of you. Don't get me wrong, I can't think of any traditional, production knives that aren't worth at least close to their retail price. I also think that it's fine to make a couple of bucks, or at least recover your cost, but some of the prices that people are paying is beyond me. Everyone has the right to spend their money however they like. But as long as people are willing to pay hiked up prices, and get caught up in the hype, it'll continue. All that I'm saying is that unless you've tried the Case/Bose knives, you might be missing out. Here's my latest, that I picked up second hand for a very reasonable price. View attachment 892033

Nice knife!

Nice thread, Jason:thumbsup: Some really beautiful knives and interesting discussion.
qZBFacZ.jpg
Gorgeous WT Al! I'm a bit embarrassed to admit but in 9+ years of high end knife enthusiasm I have never owned a damascus blade of any type. Someday I'm going to remedy that and track down a damascus Case Bose Norfolk.
View attachment 892039

The value is there for me. This is just an awesome knife and build like a tank (no pun intended :D). I have used this a lot but it doesn’t show a bit. 154CM is your friend :thumbsup:
Man that's some good looking chestnut bone on that one!

The discussion on this thread has taken an interesting turn and that's good. Inevitably people ask are they worth it? And the only answer to that is a subjective one, one way or the other. Based on my one experience of these Collabs I'd have to say no. Parallels have been drawn to the cost/worthwhile value of certain GEC knives and I think this is really important and sheds a perspective. I'd very much agree that the prices some GEC knives 'command' are absurd from any rational or utility point of view. A production knife using only carbon steel and usually brass is not anything special at all in the materials dept, true, GEC's construction methods QC is usually very good. But most of us agree that the prices commanded are driven by fashion or status, many buyers , I suspect know little about Traditionals and are usually into Moderns but they see a high price trend and must be in on it. Some are just flippers pure and simple.

The Collab knives are clearly of superior materials using more advanced production methods, but they are not that scarce, the run is large for each handle and it's my impression they are less sought after than in former years. Nor do they appear to be assembled with any more rigour on QC from other CASE lines as there are plenty of complaints about F&F or knives having to go back for tune-ups, those things should really be very very rare indeed with knives of this potential, but they are not. Look at each year's issue and you'll find legitimate construction complaints, with the refrain send it in CASE will take care of it. mmmmh.

At the end of the day I probably wouldn't risk buying another Collab. with import tax it makes them very expensive, for me at least and I wouldn't want to be disappointed again. But really it's also an aesthetic thing, I don't like their very short or narrow blades to frame ratio, just a personal gripe and other people will have a really opposite perception. Their Eureka is made of much better steel than the GEC Eureka (a model GEC released before the Collab to their credit)but for me it has inferior bone scales-too thin and not good ebony for wood. The proportions of the GEC are to my eye much better, larger broader blades and GEC managed all steel construction on some, and to a very high gap free degree. But it's subjective of course, you like it or you don't. But I'm glad this thread continues to be analytical and interesting to think about, that's what makes knife discussion worthwhile.

Thanks, Will

The Case/Bose price-value situation is not subjective. There are ~20 years of them and the line still continues, that's objective enough for me :). Some patterns are more popular than others and there's no feeding frenzy like with some GEC, but the consistent sales show the quality and value of the line of knives. Tony should be proud.

The discussion on this thread has taken an interesting turn and that's good. Inevitably people ask are they worth it? And the only answer to that is a subjective one, one way or the other. Based on my one experience of these Collabs I'd have to say no. Parallels have been drawn to the cost/worthwhile value of certain GEC knives and I think this is really important and sheds a perspective. I'd very much agree that the prices some GEC knives 'command' are absurd from any rational or utility point of view. A production knife using only carbon steel and usually brass is not anything special at all in the materials dept, true, GEC's construction methods QC is usually very good. But most of us agree that the prices commanded are driven by fashion or status, many buyers , I suspect know little about Traditionals and are usually into Moderns but they see a high price trend and must be in on it. Some are just flippers pure and simple.

The Collab knives are clearly of superior materials using more advanced production methods, but they are not that scarce, the run is large for each handle and it's my impression they are less sought after than in former years. Nor do they appear to be assembled with any more rigour on QC from other CASE lines as there are plenty of complaints about F&F or knives having to go back for tune-ups, those things should really be very very rare indeed with knives of this potential, but they are not. Look at each year's issue and you'll find legitimate construction complaints, with the refrain send it in CASE will take care of it. mmmmh.

At the end of the day I probably wouldn't risk buying another Collab. with import tax it makes them very expensive, for me at least and I wouldn't want to be disappointed again. But really it's also an aesthetic thing, I don't like their very short or narrow blades to frame ratio, just a personal gripe and other people will have a really opposite perception. Their Eureka is made of much better steel than the GEC Eureka (a model GEC released before the Collab to their credit)but for me it has inferior bone scales-too thin and not good ebony for wood. The proportions of the GEC are to my eye much better, larger broader blades and GEC managed all steel construction on some, and to a very high gap free degree. But it's subjective of course, you like it or you don't. But I'm glad this thread continues to be analytical and interesting to think about, that's what makes knife discussion worthwhile.

Thanks, Will
Well said Will

I agree, I have enjoyed reading the respectful back and forth. I learn something on the forums everyday. One of my very favorite knives is the Lannys clip collaboration. It has the best fit and finish of any knife I have owned, custom or otherwise. Given that I consider the price a steal. At the same time I have a small but beloved collection of GEC TC Barlows, some of which I admit to paying scalper prices for, that do not match the Case/Bose Lannys in terms of pure build/material quality but I value them just as much because each was a hunt to find and I love the aesthetics and story/history created by Charlie. My point? Who knows, maybe just that the value is there either way : )

I've mentioned I have owned 7 of these collabs over the past 4 - 5 years. Of those 7 I've had to send 3 in for flaws in craftsmanship and I'll admit, even as an enthusiast of these knives that it is a little frustrating. I'm not gonna say this to try and make it acceptable but in all 3 cases the repair dept. at Case did a fantastic job and got the knife where it should have been in the first place. Most recently with the Eureka there was some owner caused flaws and I half expected Case to charge me to fix them up but they didn't and I do appreciate that. I also appreciate that they never gave me any flak for any flaw I pointed out to be fixed no matter how small. Again, I think it sucks a little bit that right from the dealer there are instances of a knife with less than expected fit and finish. Although for me at least, the warranty dept. has been outstanding. Now if your from overseas, my patience would most likely not be as long as it is here in good 'ol USA. In that case I'd probably at the very least contact a dealer who is willing to look one over for you and get you one with no worries.

I’m fairly new to collecting slipjoints, I know case makes a bose pattern sowbelly. Have they ever offer one in this higher end annual offering with 154cm such as those in this thread? Is there somewhere I can look up what patterns have been offered in this high end collab line over the years?

I’m fairly new to collecting slipjoints, I know case makes a bose pattern sowbelly. Have they ever offer one in this higher end annual offering with 154cm such as those in this thread? Is there somewhere I can look up what patterns have been offered in this high end collab line over the years?
I don't think the sowbelly was ever done for the higher end collaborations. I came across a thread once that had them all listed iirc.

Here's a link to a PDF on Case's website with a list of all the collaboration knives: http://www.wrcase.com/special_programs/checklists/Case-Tony Bose Custom Collaborations.pdf

They've never done a sowbelly. It's one of my favorite patterns.

I've been praying like crazy that Mr. Bose goes with his Gunstock for 2019 but a sowbelly would sure be dang nice too!

Now if your from overseas, my patience would most likely not be as long as it is here in good 'ol USA. In that case I'd probably at the very least contact a dealer who is willing to look one over for you and get you one with no worries.

- nail on the head, Jason

Thing is, I'm not entirely sure the price I paid for my two Case/TB was fair........but I'd sure send both back if I could - for the pricepoint, the flaws, imho, just too much - still love 'em though - lots of character :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back