Cloak & Dagger Exotica

There have been many clandestine, hideout self-defense tools over the years. Some were excellent ideas with poor materials or execution. At one time, the Tekna “Security Card,” which was basically a credit card shaped tool with a slide button that slid the blade out of the front of the body…and a pull on the button slid retracted the blade, was about the niftiest thing you could have in your wallet.

All throughout my youth, I would read Black Belt and Soldier of Fortune Magazines, as well as assorted other gun magazines. I used to love the articles by Jerry Ahern and Leroy Thompson because they always had solid choices in firearms and they integrated their own personal, defensive systems with edged weapons. I always enjoyed articles by David E. Steele as well. All of these guys always seemed to have their ideas in line with each other for the most part, and all three always considered the knife as a fine choice in a back-up weapon to a firearm, or as a primary when carrying a firearm was illegal or otherwise restricted.

I have been an avid researcher and student of clandestine weaponry all of my adult life, it is a passion and one of the reasons I am here, Moderating this Forum for JSP.

In many ways, the Carry Systems and clandestine tools James produces overshadow the incredible knives he makes. As you know, there are many incredible knife makers out there and I am proud to call more then a couple of them my Friends…but this exotica being produced by JSP is something else entirely.

My library is rather modest. However, I do have some gems that go above and beyond what most “knife people” or “martial arts” people delve into. For me, these are resources that have given me a greater understanding of all facets of self-defense. My way of thinking is, if you can study what other people do and what they are equipped with when they are dropped into hostile areas, then at least some of that must carry over to the street.

I am also a student of the Western Blade methods, be it the Bowie of Keating, or the straightforward approach of Bob Kasper, one must study everything.

Of particular interest has always been the American O.S.S. and the British S.O.E. The Office of Strategic Services and The Special Operations Executive, respectively.

If we look at the incredibly dangerous missions these men and women carried out behind enemy lines, we see a plethora of clandestine weaponry that they were equipped with. Three excellent references filled with Government-Issued “Exotica” are:

Fighting Knives by Frederick J. Stephens
OSS Special Weapons & Equipment by H. Keith Melton
CIA Special Weapons & Equipment by H. Keith Melton

Once you get beyond all of the bugging equipment, Minox cameras, lock picks and the infamous, “Escape & Evasion Suppository” kit, and no, I’m not kidding…you see some insight into what the people “in the know” have dreamed up to arm our men and women with. To send them into hostile areas where sometimes the most effective weapons, firearms, would have never passed any inspection. Meaning arrest, imprisonment, torture and death to our people if they were caught.

Some of the firearms they were equipped with were last ditch affairs, and probably less effective then a good edged weapon. Single shot, .22 Long Rifle Caliber weapons disguised as cigarettes and cigars for example…for point blank firing. Along with the infamous “Liberator” and “Deer Gun” single shot pistols, and “The Stinger.”

The edged weapons, garrotes, and various bludgeons always caught my eye though.

There are many different weapons in this category, with the Sykes Fairbairn Dagger in a wrist/forearm sheath being one of my favorites. (Wilkinson Sword and/or H. G. Long made a reproduction of this, if anyone can find me one…contact me via E-Mail) There were also Mini-Sykes Fairbairn knives that some think were a gimmick, they were actually carried, just as the sleeve and lapel daggers were.

Sykes Fairbairn in forearm sheath.

Sleeve Dagger in wrist/forearm sheath. A particularly nasty triangular blade and mushroom-shaped pommel, possibly the best of the lot.

Lapel Dagger, in leather sheath designed to be securely sewn behind the lapel. (I’m also looking for the H. G. Long reproduction of this weapon, if you have one you want to sell, E-Mail me)

Thumb Dagger, a smaller version of the Lapel Dagger with a similar sheath.

The ¾ and ½ size Sykes Fairbairn Daggers.

There was a vast array of weaponry, BC41 Brass Knuckles, The Clements Knuckle Knife that had BC41-type knuckles attached to a very slender, narrow, clip-point blade. This knife is misunderstood by most people who look at it. If you slip your fingers through the knuckle holes, forward or reverse grip obviously, the edge faces you. This knife would be right at home in the hands of a person who specializes in extreme close quarters, reverse grip knife work. It was designed as a throat cutter during sentry removal. This knife is distinctly different from the Brass Knuckle Trench Knife most are familiar with. For one thing, the BC41-type Clements Knuckle Knife was a lot lighter.

Then there were the various Robbins of Dudley “Death’s Head” knuckles with a push dagger coming out the front. Very nasty and very effective.

[As an interesting sidebar on various edged weapons, etc., in the 1980’s, Peter Kokalis of Soldier of Fortune Magazine fame did a series on Chinese Weapons. There was one that caught my eye. A full sized, double-edged fighting knife, the lower guard was a trigger. The grip was round and the pommel screwed off. On each side of the blade there were two barrels set flush with the end of the grip. Two shallow fullers milled on each side of the blade. This “knife” was a 4 shot, .22 Long Rifle Caliber Pistol as well. One barrel would fire for each rearward pull on the guard. This weapon did not have to be very accurate as it was designed to be an extreme close range fight stopper against multiple attackers. How would you like to have one of these in a shoulder rig on a dark city street?]

All of which are wonderful to study or collect. I have always loved edged weapons and other exotica…Cold Steel, Inc., in the early days, produced two knives I am still looking for, The Urban Shiv and the Urban Hunter…they were a part of a series from Cold Steel. The other two knives in this series were The Urban Pal, a very small push dagger with no handle slabs and The Original Urban Skinner, a push dagger with a comfortable grip.

This was just a little insight into where I'm coming from in alot of posts on weaponry and tactics of self-preservation.

There is much more to be written on this subject and I hope everyone will contribute to the discussion here. I have some more to write but I wanted to start the ball rolling.

I will be writing a modest review of the new JSP/SCP Omega Series Blades and Large Wallet in the next few days. If covert is your thing, this system is perfect for your daily carry needs...

Hello Don,

I enjoyed your post, and I had visited the BladeRigger site for the first time yesterday, before visiting this forum for the first time. It's obvious to me how important it is to innovate and evolve new forms and devices of self protection in this modern era of neo-feudalistic society we live in today, being constantly subjected to more and more draconian legislation on a daily basis.
Who are the cunning folks behind JSP BladeRigger systems? Whoever they are, they are sure to prosper from their creativity.

JK

Great post about SOE and OSS weapons Don, you forgot to mention the Nail (Dart) daggers though. Some were just steel nails in appearence, others had square handles about the right length to be held in a clenched fist. The variations were astounding, some had triangular blades, others were drilled hollow to accept poison. Issued with a leather wrist/arm sheath for concealability, they were made in Sheffield and are still produced today. Popular with commando's as well as SOE they were probably the inspiration for Cold Steel's 'Delta Dart'.

Originally posted by defendu:
Great post about SOE and OSS weapons Don, you forgot to mention the Nail (Dart) daggers though. Some were just steel nails in appearence, others had square handles about the right length to be held in a clenched fist. The variations were astounding, some had triangular blades, others were drilled hollow to accept poison. Issued with a leather wrist/arm sheath for concealability, they were made in Sheffield and are still produced today. Popular with commando's as well as SOE they were probably the inspiration for Cold Steel's 'Delta Dart'.

If they are produced today? How could a Collector/User such as myself purchase them? Are they sold anywhere? I have not seen them.

As to the "Nails," and hollowed daggers, yes indeed...nasty devices, there were alot of things produced and in the years since W.W.2 as well...obviously. Continue to be produced today.

There were very long and slender hat/hair pins as well, all sorts of weapons produced.

On the smaller S-F Daggers...Leroy Thompson wrote an article some time ago in an issue of Tactical Knives. For some time, Collectors thought they were more of a gimmick, and were not actually used as weapons...Mr. Thompson pointed something out in that article and had photos to back it up.

Two of the diminutive daggers were Multi-Functional which pointed to them as being designed for carry and not for show.

One of them had a length of wire around the grip, with an area in the grip modified to except it...a mini-garrotte.

The other one was just as interesting. The whole handle of the knife unscrewed, in half...was machined that way, for carrying the infamous "L" Pill, "L" being for "Lethal," as I'm sure you know. Cyanide.

The "Needle" daggers you spoke of were indeed like a hypodermic needle without the syringe...as the flesh entered the actual hollowed out portion, it would be saturated with the poison. End Game. There was a 28cm "Poison Needle" in Melton's CIA book as well...looked like a miniature wood screw, almost threaded and in the threading, poison (curare according to Melton) would be applied.

From the Spring 1996 Issue of Tactical Knive Magazine [Spyderco Military on the cover.]

"The Miniature Fairbairn-Sykes:
At Last, the True Story!" by Leroy Thompson

This is a wonderful article, very informative.

I have to make some modifications to my above post.

This had some diminutive, "Slab-Sided Agents Daggers." As well as some examples of the smaller Sykes-Fairbairn Daggers.

The Mini-S/F's with the Garrotte Wire wrapped around the grip [designed that way, not field-modified] and the Mini-S/F with the screw-apart grip are on the front page...

Turning the page, you see the "true miniature," which is indeed very small, then the 3/4, 7/8, and full size models. My mistake in the original post, I was going from memory.

There is a beautiful picture of one of the Mid-Sized S/F's in a forearm/wrist sheath, this would have been my choice if dumped in a bad area, and this design still could be effective today.

You can imagine cowering in fear with your hands up or crossed across your chest, and drawing this weapon in the blink of an eye and using it.

Another sheath for some of the smallest "Slab-Sided Daggers" which are like the infamous Lapel Dagger, there is a leather sheath with a slot for the insertion of a button, so you could carry these in the waistband or sleeve, or anywhere if you customized your clothing and picked where you wanted to carry the knife. Just sew a button where you wanted to carry! This is clearly in line with Fairbairn's thinking of sewing the full size S/F in the front pocket of pants, etc. That is obviously what the tabs are for on the sides of the S/F sheaths, to be sewn on the outside of the leg, wherever you wanted to carry. Beautiful concept that is timeless.

From the Winter 1996 Issue of Tactical Knives.

"The Shanghai Fighting Knife."

by Prof. Kelly Yeaton and Lt. Col. (Ret.) Samuel Yeaton, USMC CO, 3rd Raider BN WWII.

Again, a splendid glimpse into the world of the covert, quick and effective knives of these brilliant men.

"When Sam [Yeaton] was assigned to the 4th Marines in Shanghai, China, he immediately formed a close relationship with Fairbairn and spent much time training with him over the next two years."

A little more insight into this...

Berns & Martin Sheath.

One example is a wonderful fast draw rig, which is a Shoulder Rig.

Just a little insight into how edged weapons combat that is effective, often utilizes similar approaches.

"...Lt. Col. Tony Biddle at the Marine Corps Basic School, who recommended that the prime first target should be the weapon hand or arm of the opponent. As in epee fighting, the hand and forearm make logical targets, being much closer than the body of the opponent. The stop-thrust is a parry in which the point fo the knife is jabbed down into the wrist or arm of the attacker as he attempts a thrust...a riposte, rather than a parry."

The Shanghai Fighting Knife is similar to the S/F, yet different!

This is more of a discussion on the methods used and the ideas that went into these weapons.

Sweet weapons Don! I especially like that Al Mar Wild Hair...

Have you seen those pens (Guardian, I think) that snap open into a spike/scribe? Press on the clip and out pops a black spike. Seems in the same vein as the other OSS stuff; covert and deadly.

The latest incarnation of that device might be called The Guardian, and these are a lower quality then the original. The "newer ones" have an aluminum body and come in anodized colors as well. And it is a spring-fired, out the front [OTF] scribe/spike.

The original, Made in Italy, was called, The Guardfather, and it was superb...knurled steel body and a little heavy.

Since the pocket clip of the "pen" fired the spike, the only safe way to carry it was literally in the pocket with the cloth in between the clip and the body of the device. And the thicker the material, the more safety.

There is a "Rod Pencil" in Melton's CIA book too...it was more of a needle than a spike...still wack you out though. I would love to have one of them...

Oooohhh, from what you describe Don, I am the proud owner of a GUARDFATHER, as mine has the knurled steel body, and is quite heavy. You're right about the clip; if you don't want an accidental opening in your pocket, you must have some cloth in between...

I usually carry mine in my planner, clipped in a sturdy leather loop.

Techniques-wise, I prefer the Drawpoint method, as this "pen" seems perfect for this.

These are truly nasty weapons.

Apparently the anodized one I was referring to above was a Guardfather 2, I have seen no link to that as of yet. It was almost identical to the Original Guardfather except everyone I ever saw would not reliably fire. They were weak and the contruction/materials felt...not so good.

The 3 looks better than the 2, and the 4 certainly has some promise.

Nothing like the Original as far as I'm concerned, anyone have another they want to get rid of?

A hearty thanks for the link! Sweet stuff; never even knew there was a Guardfather 2... (Or is it Godfather 2
wink.gif
)

Don, mine's exactly like the one in the pic of #1. Kinda want one of those #2's though. Anybody ever handle one?

[This message has been edited by MrG (edited 10-17-2000).]

Great stuff, Don!!

How do the thumb daggers work? Are they tied to the thumbs?

I heard about how a long time ago a famous hooligan invented and patented a brass thumb hook that could be used to scoop out eyeballs. He used to carry his eyeball collection in his pockets. Brass knucks on both hands and brass gouges on both thumbs might be a particularly good weapon combination!!

I have been trying to find someone that sold good thumbhooks for a while now. The closest I have been able to find are silver ones in Goth catalogs. This would be a great very concealed backup weapon.

Don, I found a charming cheap version of the Thumb Dagger. Does this model throw well?

Nah...they're too light...they were really meant to stick right in the front of the trachea or the eye...possibly take a nasty gash across the forehead so the blood flows into the eyes as a tertiary tactic.

I woudl like to see those claw hooks.. can you post a pic of that goth catalog per chance
smile.gif

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~soo/balisong/balisong.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~soo/balisong/balisong.html
</A> If you play with love you will be heartbroken; if you play with knives you will [bleed]

This thread has actually sparked my interest in collecting covert type weapons. For those interested check out www.grad22.com . I'm not 100% sure but I think they're similar to the chinese weapon Don was describing.

Back