1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Coffee

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by Monofletch, Nov 23, 2013.

1. David Stifle

David Stifle

Nov 20, 2008
    Are any of the Peete's blends third wave coffee?

2. Barman1

Barman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2013
    I would argue that a few of their reserve selections could possibly be considered.
    They're a big company though with a need for a huge volume which makes it tough to market very small single source coffees.
    Third wave.
    If you think about beer, (and who doesn't?) it's the same sort of parallel to coffee that can be drawn from back in the day when there was nothing other than domestics available. (Hell, I still do Schaefer and PBR pounders on occasion) Then the wave of imports and domestic breweries pumping out their Euro style beer to the microbrews that are so prevalent now.
    Tastes have evolved and being in the beverage biz myself I sometimes find it annoying to have to explain every...little...detail... about every little ingredient that just went into a drink but it's a natural evolution for the market and in the end better for our taste buds.

3. Monofletch

Monofletch Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 14, 2010
    This has to be the closest to the PERFECT blend I have ever tried!!

4. Monofletch

Jan 14, 2010
    I use to enjoy the white can with "BEER" printed on it back in the day. $4 a case from the old guy up the street. :D We didn't mind at all.

5. Barman1

Jun 21, 2013
    Whenever the "not too hot" girls from next door used to come over to mooch some suds we'd send someone to the 7-11 for "BEER". Didn't deter them in the least.
    Whatever, they liked to party. ;)

6. David Stifle

David Stifle

Nov 20, 2008
    I've never even seen that for sale around here. Guess it only comes out around the Holidays?

7. Monofletch

Jan 14, 2010
    You can still get it at the Peet's website, but it's in a gift bundle. Ebay and Amazon have it as well. Peet's claims they change the "Holiday Blend" every year, soo when it's gone-- it's gone. They had a HUGE response to this years blend.....I've got my fingers crossed.

8. cchu518

cchu518 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2013
    If it's summer I'm drinking coors or miller's light trendiness be damned! : )

9. Barman1

Jun 21, 2013
    Um, no longer a trend. Enjoy the water. :thumbdn:
    But then again the trend for hipsters is to drink mediocre canned beer so maybe you're the trendy one. Giddy up. :cool: ;)

10. Monofletch

Jan 14, 2010
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do it's Sam Adams Boston Lager!

Other than that I am a water drinking fool!!

11. cchu518

Mar 6, 2013
    I read about that, but it's not really the case in NYC! At least when I'm out or maybe I'm too old to be hipster. Euro beers like Stella and Blue Moon are still standard on tap. Then there's the endless IPA micro's like Brooklyn Brewery although I don't know if you can consider them micro anymore, DogFish, Founders (All Day in the can is super drinkable) etc...etc...

If I'm out on the town with the wife, we almost always end up here no matter where we do as we don't go out much anymore. http://www.deadrabbitnyc.com/

It's a craft cocktail bar, which we had been going to prior to it winning all of the awards (it's around the corner from my old job). And focuses on period cocktails and punches.

They rotate recipes last year there was a focus on whiskey's. We try to get there around 10PM as it's impossible to get a table between 7 and 10.

But this recipe is one of the wife's favorites:

It's called the bitter bramble! Pretty howty toi!
    Tanqueray London Dry Gin, Blackberry, Lime, Averna Amaro, Fentimans Tonic Water

I do see hipsters there! Even though drinks are like $15 a pop!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  12. David Stifle

David Stifle

Nov 20, 2008
    I like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale as a standard drinkable beer, but the price is equivalent to an imported beer.:eek:

13. Dr. Scott

Dr. Scott

Aug 12, 2013
    [​IMG]

Just to get us back on topic. ;)

It's a seasonal beer. December-January I think. Some recommend drinking it warmer, at 55-65 degrees, or room temp.

14. Monofletch

Jan 14, 2010
    Major Dick's was trying to get me out of bed this morning. I still feel soooooo tired. :(

15. Barman1

Jun 21, 2013
    I have been known to call people exactly that when trying to get me out of bed too early. :thumbdn: :mad: :yawn:

16. cchu518

Mar 6, 2013
    Has anyone ever tried any coffee from Panama in Central America?

We're planning this year's vacation, and headed there in late July, the wet season. And will be running around part of the country with a guide on a photograph safari (birds, reptiles, snakes). Our base camp is going to be the Anton Valley and as far as I can tell there are no plantations where we will be although, we are trekking through parts of cloud forest looking for Eyelash Vipers which is usually a really good area for planting coffee.

17. cchu518

Mar 6, 2013
    One of my good friends just posted this video, How to Make Cuban Coffee

[video]http://www.saveur.com/article/video/video-making-cuban-coffee-in-miami[/video]

18. Monofletch

Jan 14, 2010
    Eyelash Viper? (Bothriechis schlegelii) is a venomous pit viper species found in Central and South America. Small and arboreal, these snakes are characterized by their wide array of color variations, as well as the superciliary scales over the eyes.

I hope you don't find one!!!! :eek:

19. Guyon

Guyon Biscuit Whisperer Staff Member Super Mod

Mar 15, 2000
    Ye gods! Look what the cat dragged in! :D

Coffee? I like it strong. I recently picked up an AeroPress, and that gizmo makes a good cup.

20. java

java Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 29, 2001
    Hear! Hear!

I'd recommend Danjoe Coffee (providing you're unable to find any of of Java's Mojave Mud) We both roast and trade varietals, roasting tips, and occasional pointy things. I tend to go for the less acidic Sumatran and Guatemalan beans and medium roasting. Recently received 10 kilos of Vietnamese robusta beans from a friend in country and some Doi Chang AA from Thailand that have plenty of wake the fvck up potential. :thumbup:

Hearty second on that AeroPress, Guyon. That be ma' travelin' still when I'm away from my Rancillio Silvia or Gaggia Classic Esspresinators.