Coffee

I don't stay up late enough to know anything about the guy. :eek:

I do but there's nothing that any of those late night guys are going to say that's not going to be droned on about for days if it's worth talking about. :rolleyes:
And it's so much more entertaining to hear what all of you have to think about it. (insert big eyeroll guy here.) ;)

Coffee = nectar of the Gods. :thumbup:

I roast my own, and consider myself the anti starbucks. IMO, any variety of coffee that tastes good dark/burnt, tastes even better, when given a proper medium roast. :)

As I walk around the room I see nothing but untapped potential. You have potential......... :D

...'cause I can't wait to get up in the a.m. and try my new coffee! Peet's New Guinea Highland. I'm going to skip my usual drip and have a press pot tomorrow. I'll give a mini-review tomorrow.

Ever notice how most stag handles on traditionals are torched or toasted. Sometimes the stag comes out black. Reminds me of Starbuck's: give me a more natural stag, with less of a roast. Who wants a burnt knife?

BTW, I really enjoyed the Conan O'Brien bit. Lol.

I recently tried Starbucks Sumatra blend, and thought it was one of the better Starbuck's blends. I'm a little puzzled though, I've tried several of Starbuck's blends, and all in all vastly prefer Peet's blends. Wouldn't you think, with Starbuck's being so big, they would have some truly knockout blends? Or maybe you think they do?

I recently tried Starbucks Sumatra blend, and thought it was one of the better Starbuck's blends. I'm a little puzzled though, I've tried several of Starbuck's blends, and all in all vastly prefer Peet's blends. Wouldn't you think, with Starbuck's being so big, they would have some truly knockout blends? Or maybe you think they do?

It's like they're the Mickey D's of coffee. Doesn't have to be good, just convenient/comfortable.
And most folks are (I won't say sheep... but guess I just did...) intimidated (or annoyed maybe) by things that are too counter to their comfort zone, like smaller shops that attract a more divergent clientele/employee.
There are a few coffee shops in my town and the one I frequent is right across the street from the busy shop with the clean cut staff and the business types and is always packed. (I am happy to say though, it was in place and successful before *Bucks moved into town and still puts them to shame in every way. Used to be my go-to till it got too busy) I frequent the little joint across the street that staffs the (seemingly requisite) pierced, tatted baristas that never smile (I'm one of those types minus the piercings though, and work in a little niche bar. I'll rant about the TGIF-like drones at some other time :thumbdn:) and make the better cup. But unfortunately even though they serve a better product the writing is on the wall. They won't survive against the bigger, more comfortable shops with the marginal beans.
Sorry about the rant. It's the slow time of the year at work but it seems Ruby Twosdays :)sp: I won't make it easy for people to google my rant) is doing well enough. :rolleyes:

Most morning, I actually bring to work a blend, usually a single origin blended with starbucks beans. It gives me a happy flavor medium between fruity and overroasted lol.

Part of Starbuck's problem is their roasting style and quantity. They overroast their beans and they use way too much coffee to water volume. I've had some of their single origin Clover pulled coffees and they are much better arguably good and 100% drinkable. But their "style" if you call it that might be done for uniformity sakes so their decent commercial grade beans will produce a product that tastes the same everywhere with no variation.

The opposite of why I go to places like Gregory's and pick up single origins as each one has a funky uniqueness to their coffees and in some cases end up spectacular. The blends in general like the Gregory's the I prefer is the best of both worlds and very in the middle.

I also love what we call Silver Carts in NYC $1.50 for a large cup, they are these little trailer hitched mobile carts that sell coffee and donuts on every other street corner. Great regular coffee. I think they use U.S. Coffee Distributors coffee. No harm no foul. I pass Starbucks all the time and so long as I'm in NYC I don't drink Starbucks. In NJ, I'm not allowed to be so choosey though.

Damn... Wife got up first and brewed a pot of Peet's Ethiopian Super Natural. After a pound of the stuff, I'm done with it. Yes, it's better than anything at Starbucks. But when Peet's describes it as wild blueberries, they are telling the truth! I think I will take the rest of it and blend it with something. If it only had 50% of the blueberry flavor, it would be better. If the idea of blueberry coffee is your cup of tea, then go get some from Peet's.

Last edited:
Blueberry Coffee? Defies the imagination as well as good taste! But then, I'm not a guy who has ever liked anything in my coffee except coffee.:)

Has anyone heard of a company called "Jus Joe?" Not sure if it's a brand name or company, but anyway, that's the name on the Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee I bought, and I really liked it.

Strangely, it is still good coffee. Ethiopian Super Natural is not tart or sweet, but there is a distinctive blueberry flavor in addition to the usual good coffee flavor. There is nothing added to it. The roasted coffee beans really do taste this way. One or two cups is a very interesting change of pace, but a whole pound of it is too much. :rolleyes:

Strangely, it is still good coffee. Ethiopian Super Natural is not tart or sweet, but there is a distinctive blueberry flavor in addition to the usual good coffee flavor. There is nothing added to it. The roasted coffee beans really do taste this way. One or two cups is a very interesting change of pace, but a whole pound of it is too much. :rolleyes:

Ah! I thought you were talking about additives. I wonder that makes the beans take on a blueberry flavor? The result of cultivation, environmental factors? Interesting.

The other day my electricity went out, and all I was left with was a wood stove. I needed coffee, really needed it. So I put three cups of water in a pot, put it on the stove and when it boiled put in the Peet's MD coffee grounds. Let it boil a few minutes, took it off and let it set for awhile, then seined it and settled down. It was Great! So, here's the point to my post. When making coffee in this manner, what is the proper way to do it? Bring to a boil? Or get the water really hot, but not boiling, and let it seep like tea? Anyone have any ideas?

I would bet that it is best to add boiling water and let it steep, like a French press. But when camping out, we always let it boil two or three minutes.

Just did a press pot of the Peet's New Guinea Highland.

When I was a Starbucks robot, I would always add sweeteners and cream, milk, or soy milk to make it drinkable. This Peets New Guinea Highland is one of those that doesn't need anything. I will drink this one black. Minimal acidity. Medium full flavor with no citrus or fruity stuff. Just good coffee. And no unpleasant aftertaste. It doesn't even give me the dreaded coffee breath. Highly Recommended!

Last edited:
Yep- what he said. Let the boiling water set for 30 seconds (removed from heat) and then pour. I think it's 205 degrees.

Thanks fellas. I feel I actually got better results on the wood stove than I ever have with my French press. Just luck, perhaps. Or maybe I just needed the coffee so much it tasted extra good.

Back