Cold Steel (GSM) New Products Release:

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by Quiet, Jan 14, 2021.

1. strideruser

strideruser Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 1, 2008
    Not really moaning though, I like the 4max and obviously!!! the Talwar! ;)

2. goldie

goldie

Feb 18, 2000
    I just wanna see if the 3v Trailmaster and Recon scout materialize......

3. nephron

nephron Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Oyabun? I guess if Ford can call an electric crossover a Mustang....

17Tp5z8.jpg

4. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    That's disappointing. I'd love to get a Recon Scout but not if it's going to be in junk steel.

Smiling likes this.
  5. oxman198

oxman198

Jun 17, 2013
    I think the oyabun looks sick, like a cold steel version of a kwaiken. Hopefully it is as least a 4" blade, I'm guessing so since the fixed blade oyabun was the big brother of the kobun. Liner lock doesn't bother me a bit, cold steel puts a ton of energy into creating strong locks that they test rigorously before they release them. Plus I don't think lynn would put his name on it if it was a so so lock.
    Also pumped about the drop point voyager xl, counter point 1, talwar xl, double edged leatherneck mini stabber, Kyoto 2 and 4 max. I couldn't care less about the steels. I have a crkt in 4116 that I have been using relentlessly at work and I really like it. Edge retention is actually way better than I expected and a couple swipes on a fine ceramic rod brings it up to hair popping.

6. Larry Turko

Larry Turko

Oct 4, 2007
    I agree! I've been agitating for one for years. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's XL.

7. Larry Turko

Larry Turko

Oct 4, 2007
    Yeah I don't care about steel either. Design is what's important to me.

oxman198 likes this.
  8. oxman198

oxman198

Jun 17, 2013
    I was skeptical of the ti lite because of the liner lock too, until I got one. Now it's one of my favorite xl blades. That liner lock is strong and prob the best executed I've ever seen. I absolutely trust it and say if you like the form factor of the ti lite then get one. Plus the tip is perfectly in line with the butt of the handle so in a hard stab the lock takes very little stress. Lt totes two of them on him and to me that says a lot considering how much testing they do on their knives.

9. Dadpool

Dadpool Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2015
    It's not the engagement I can't stand -- it's a hell of a secure lock-up. It's the disengagement that drove me nuts. I've never encountered a knife less pleasant to unlock (but I know lots of folks have no problems disengaging them).

oxman198 likes this.
  10. Chris_Texas

Chris_Texas

Apr 2, 2020
    In the field? The Talwar is primarily a self defense weapon. As such it is probably very effective, though one hopes they never have to put this to the test. Beyond that, it also looks cool to a lot of people.

11. jlauffer

jlauffer Dissident Aggressor Platinum Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Not sure they could fit the TriAd lock into such a slim handle, especially with how far the blade fits into the handle when closed.

MolokaiRider, Raku and Dadpool like this.
  12. Chris_Texas

Chris_Texas

Apr 2, 2020
    I like it a whole lot more than I want to. It's so smooth, so fun to play with, and the blade shape is perfect. I don't trust the lock, and it's a bit thicker than I like in my pocket, but I love it despite these quibbles.

I like it enough that I bought a medium to keep it company. The medium is not as sexy to me, the blade on the large is heavy enough that it damn near opens itself. More, I decided to test out the sharpening system my wife got me for Christmas on the new medium Luzon, and I promptly destroyed the edge. So that left a bit of a sour taste that is in no way the fault of the knife. I will have to fix it this weekend.

13. GlockMonkey

GlockMonkey

Sep 8, 2002
    I'm pretty sure I saw both a Large and an XL.

insta9ves, jux t, Quiet and 1 other person like this.
  14. jstn

jstn Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2012
    I’m not a fan of 20CV in a hard use knife, which has kept me away from the 4max, but I’ll have to get one now! In for a recon mini too and maybe a few others!

15. Chris_Texas

Chris_Texas

Apr 2, 2020
    Check out the Frenzy

16. jlauffer

jlauffer Dissident Aggressor Platinum Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Yes, but look how much of the blade is exposed when closed compared to the Ti Lite, in order to fit the lock. That's what the Ti Lite would end up looking like if they changed it, which to me pretty much defeats the purpose.

maxresdefault.jpg

Raku, jbmonkey and Dadpool like this.
  17. Mitchell Knives

Mitchell Knives Knifemaker Moderator

May 21, 2000
    There appear to be a few models I might be interested in.

Too bad they stuck with the unusable sheaths.

18. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Gold Member

Oct 11, 2013
    I believe an XL version is shown in those pics! I am going to definitely be in for both.

19. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    Good news for you, I also saw a pic if the XL voyager in drop point

20. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    I think the triad tilite is totally doable, just need to move the pivot down a bit more so that the top of the handle(in horizontal view) has more space to fit the triad lock. But yes, that would mean more exposed blade so it’s not gonna look as elegant as the linerlock closed since you need those space for the lock.
    Look at Benchmade 470 Fact, or folding SOCP, it’s also very stiletto like with Axis lock, which also takes up space.

AF likes this.