• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Cold Steel Strider rip-0ff

killerskill

Banned
Look it this blatant rip off. then he even says it, and disses Strider.:jerkit:. http://www.coldsteel.com/80ft.html.
Please don’t throw away hundreds and hundreds of dollars on similar knives sold by convicted felons and rip off artists posing as elite “military operators”. Get the real G.I. Tanto from Cold Steel and get more than your money’s worth.

Specifications:
Overall: 12"
Thick: 4mm
Weight: 10.4 oz.
Steel: 1055 Carbon
Blade: 7"
Sheath: Cordura

Well... Is there any truth to it? Can that $30 blade come close to competing? Not saying that its 'Right,' but if they are even remotely comparable, I'd probably spend the $30 there and the rest of my "blade budget" somewhere else... There was definately a low blow though, at the end of the paragraph. That wasn't really needed...

So are they sayin that the strider company is full of rip off artists and felons? Why did he say that?

It just pisses me off ,because I'm a Strider feind. I buy high quality american Made knives. Emersons too. First they rip off the designs ,then make them in china, Then Talk sh#% about it on the website.:mad:

I've strayed from Cold Steel lately as well - I've recently gotten a couple RATs and a Ranger. I've got a ton of CS knives though - they're foreign made, but you can't beat the quality for the $$, generally speaking... The smear advertising doesn't impress me though.

It's not a "diss" (or libel, for that matter) if it's true and can be proven to be so.

...and it already has. ;)

Truth is, Ek Knives was selling sand-blasted, stainless steel knives with straight handles wound with OD paracord long before Mr. Burger entered the scene.

POSTSCRIPT:

If anyone is being "ripped off", it's Ernest Emerson and Timberline knives. That blade profile is almost identical with the Emerson SpecWar. So both Cold Steel and Strider are "rip offs".

Another rip-off from Cold Steal...what can I say...surprise, surprise :jerkit:.

Yes, it is true but still, these sales tactics just want to make me :barf:. Advertising your product by attacking the personal life of another maker IS dissing, the fact that it is true doesn't change that.

Sad thing is though that it might actually be tougher than the real deal. Spring tempered 1055 is pretty hard to break.

As far as I am concerned that statement by Cold Steel as low as it gets. They can stick their knives where the sun don't shine.

Very poor choice of wording, certainly not a necessary part of the advertisement to sell the knife and should be removed :eek:

who are they really appealing to? I mean, how many people would even know the stuff about Strider/Berger/whatever being in prison?

They're appealing to people who want the look and the strength without the high price tag. In all fairness to CS, the radiused areas forward the guard are an improvement on the original design.

CS is, in a very public (and self serving) way, deciding to educate the general knife buying public.

...because a lot of people are going to say, "Huh?"

Then they'll start digging and eventually come up with all the info many of us here are already acquainted with.

That does it for me. I once would have at least considered some of CS's products, but now I'll never buy anything CS related. They've lost a customer for life. Thanks for bringing this to my attention Killerskill.

Making money out of others misfortunes or past problems is very un-American. And this knife has G.I. on it?!?!?! What's next, and ad saying: "buy insurgent made CS products.... don't support overpaid, overfed US doughboys!"

They're appealing to people who want the look and the strength without the high price tag. In all fairness to CS, the radiused areas forward the guard are an improvement on the original design.

CS is, in a very public (and self serving) way, deciding to educate the general knife buying public.

...because a lot of people are going to say, "Huh?"

Then they'll start digging and eventually come up with all the info many of us here are already acquainted with.
Yeah, but who cares if Strider/Berger or whoever was in prison? People who buy strider knives(like me) know exactly what they are buying and getting into. The price for a strider is in no way a rip off. The knives perform better than almost any knife. And aside from the performance, there is the collector value. I can buy a Strider and just let it sit on my desk and do nothing but admire it, for as long as I want. Then if I decide to sell it most likely I'll get more for it than what I paid. How in the world is that even close to a rip-off? It would be bad enough if they made the chineese look alike rip-off, and just said nothing. It would be like. ok here's a Strider knock-off, made of tough carbon steel. just a beater. But then they go and call Strider rip-off artists and cons. Whatever:jerkit: . There is absolutely NO excuse for this crap. NONE. And really who cares who was in prison? Who cares. An awesome knife is what it is. And made in america too. It's like Ok , I'm gonna steal your knife, make it in china, and call you a rip off artist. How can you make an excuse for that? Who's the rip off artist,ripping off american jobs?

I don't get the Swiftboat treatment either. But then again, I would never have made the connection without reading about it here on this forum.

And the price difference is quite remarkable. I wonder if it will actually have an effect on Strider, as the customers for either knife are completely different.

Thompson writes great advertising copy.

He gets everyone's balls in an uproar, publicity for
his products, and probably has a blast doing it.

Then he shrugs off the criticism on the way to the bank.

I'm NOT defending the guy...just noting his methods as I see them.

I think I will throw away hundreds and hundreds of dollars and get me a few STRIDERS!

I have never handled a cold steel knife that I liked. And lol @ a knife company calling another company's owners names like a little girl , its pathetic.

Back