Cold Steel's New German 4116 Krupp Steel

We all know what carbon V is, and it is not a secret.
They don't say it, because they want unknowing consumers to believe that they actually manufacture their products. Cold Steel is a marketing and distribution company that has other companies produce their wares. Camillus made their "carbon V" blades, out of the same steel used in the Becker line of knives. The name "Carbon V" is just a cold steel marketing Gimmick.

That I did not know...is it the exact same chemical makeup?!:eek:

0170-6, also known as 50100-b also known as Carbon V also know as Chrome Vanadium. From what I hear any way. ;)

anybody got specs of the new superduper steel from CS? :D like chemical composition?

I asked Cold Steel for a graph chart showing the *colonel's secret recipe* and they told me they "don't have one". I think more people should email CS and request the secret recipe (or secret recipe of the month/day/year/etc.). Or else they're just gonna continue to jerk their buyer's around with nonsense jargon. Keeping everyone in the dark just isn't good business practice. Maybe Lynn Thompson has every knife sprinkled with some kind of magic jungle powder before it leaves his factory?

Pot-bellied khaki-clad Elmer Fudd-reminiscent knuckleheads chucking spears and tantos through car doors. Violently attacking pot roasts in 501's with wickedly sharp tools of death. Whacking cow heads with tomahawks? That's just gonna feed the lame brain anti-defense folks and piss off the vegans. It's not the best approach for a positive public image of hunters. Or is it a display of weapons being used responsibly to say the least. Am I the only one that forsees a return of the long forgotten Lawn Dart? Tanto point carbon v lawn darts with large scallop serrations and cord wrapped handles, perfect for that summer bbq! They're wickedly sharp and mighty hard to see with a black teflon coating! Cold Steel Carbon V NightHawk Lawn Darts coming soon to store near you!

Joke mode off: Cold Steel does make high quality stuff, don't get me wrong. I do buy their knives, I'm a fan of their Ti Lite folders, Aus 8 Counter Tacs, and some of the large carbon v fixed blades.

Pot-bellied khaki-clad Elmer Fudd-reminiscent knuckleheads chucking spears and tantos through car doors. And violently attacking pot roasts in 501's with wickedly sharp tools of death.

eel,, LMAO!!! :D :thumbup: I do not know if Thompson really is a bada$$ martial arts dude like he claims to be. I only invision the great white hunter :rolleyes: kicking the a$$ of his local Schwans deliveryman when he won't leave Lynn a whole case of straw berry cheese cakes.

Thyssen Krupp 1.4116
aka NIROSTA (R) 4116
Code Name X 50 CrMoV 15

.45 to .55 C
14 to 15 Cr
0.5 to 0.8 Mo
0.1 to 0.2 V

ThyssenKrupp Nirosta is a Company
of ThyssenKrupp Steel (Germany)

rifon2 posted this in the other CS thread 2 days before you started this one. Mystery solved.

Then SK-5 gets promoted to a high carbon steel. Very convient. BTW, SK5 is a good performer in my old carbon steel SOG Tigershark. That's what they used before they went to AUS 6. The old ones command a little premium. Leave it to cold steel to make a good steel smell bad. JL

Composition of SK5 taken from steel company that makes it:
http://www.jfe-steel.co.jp/en/products/sheets/catalog/b1e-005.pdf

C 0.80-0.90
Si 0.10-0.35
Mn 0.10-0.50
P ≤0.030
S ≤0.030
Cu ≤0.25
Ni ≤0.25
Cr ≤0.30

It is high carbon

Thyssen Krupp 1.4116
aka NIROSTA (R) 4116
Code Name X 50 CrMoV 15

.45 to .55 C
14 to 15 Cr
0.5 to 0.8 Mo
0.1 to 0.2 V

rifon2 posted this in the other CS thread 2 days before you started this one. Mystery solved.

hardheart,, thanks for copying that over from the other thread. As I wrote in that thread [for any body who missed it] X 50 CrMoV 15 is the steel Wusthof uses in there knives. While it is not the greatest available there are far worse steel choices in my opinion.

np, I think it might also qualify as a high carbon steel, though I don't know exactly, since the range allows it to dip below .5% C

It is high carbon

I know. CS used to promote it in their line as a "Medium" carbon steel with the spears, bushmaster etc.

It makes good knives BTW. SOG's been using it for years in their line and it's well liked by owners. My old Tigershark is an excellent knife. As I understand it they changed it due to it's low corrosion resistance, but that doesn't bother me at all. The SOG Bowie was gun blued, the tigershark just satin. ( now AUS6A)

Am I the only one that forsees a return of the long forgotten Lawn Dart? Tanto point carbon v lawn darts with large scallop serrations and cord wrapped handles, perfect for that summer bbq! They're wickedly sharp and mighty hard to see with a black teflon coating! Cold Steel Carbon V NightHawk Lawn Darts coming soon to store near you!

Ooooo, I think I want some of those--that is if I can get Tritium sights installed for more accurate nighttime play.

Thyssen Krupp 1.4116
aka NIROSTA (R) 4116
Code Name X 50 CrMoV 15

.45 to .55 C
14 to 15 Cr
0.5 to 0.8 Mo
0.1 to 0.2 V

I've seen the specs of 1.4116 also, but I wonder if it's like 13C26. On paper, 13C26 looks like a low-end steel, but it performs very well due to, from what I've been told by knife friends, that it is a powder steel that is very clean of impurities. Is 1.4116 like this also?...looks poor on paper, but performs quite well???

Thyssen Krupp 1.4116
aka NIROSTA (R) 4116
Code Name X 50 CrMoV 15

.45 to .55 C
14 to 15 Cr
0.5 to 0.8 Mo
0.1 to 0.2 V

Thanks for the note at the end of your post, hardheart.
:thumbup: :cool:

So far, it doesn't seem like many (hardly any actually) have experience with 1.4116. It doesn't look good on paper, but I wonder how it actually performs. Anyone have actual experience with it and can equate it performance-wise to a more known/common steel?

My Friend has the CS Finn Wolf it came with a dull edge so he asked me to sharpen it for him and i did . . . it sharpens like the 440A used by Frost Cutlery so i guess that it is similar to 440A or 420.

My Friend has the CS Finn Wolf it came with a dull edge so he asked me to sharpen it for him and i did . . . it sharpens like the 440A used by Frost Cutlery so i guess that it is similar to 440A or 420.

Dragged this one out of the abyss now didn't we.

This is the word on the new mystery steels from Cold Steel. I find it interesting how they ranked VG-1 higher than VG-10. VG-10 is top notch steel to have done with serrations. It stays sharp and outperforms just about every mass produced mid priced steel on the market. Fallkniven used VG-10 on most of their knives. I will have to try some of their VG-1 and see for myself:

"VG-1 has been tested to be 10% better than AUS 8A. It holds an edge better with extreme sharpness and strength. VG-1 is not short for VG-10. VG-1 was tested against different grades of steel including Shiro 2, V-SP-2, 10A, 440C, VG-10 ATS 34. VG-1 showed the greatest performance increase in the most critical areas.

4116 Krupp Stainless is fined grained, stainless steel made by ThyssenKrupp in Germany is used for hygienic applications and food processing.The balance of carbon and chromium content give it a high degree of corrosion resistance and impressive physical characteristics of strength and edge holding. Retention in actual cutting tests exceed blades made of the 420 and 440 series of stainless steels."

And this is what CS said about the New PeaceKeepers:

"I believe it will be Taiwan but haven't received written confirmation of this."

I was more than a bit disappointed to hear they will be made in Taiwan. It's what I expected, the lack of a high polished blade finish was the main clue.
That's worst steel I've ever used in my entire life, it is completely JUNK!

So I shouldn't get a pocket bushman , i was just going to EDC with it and not use it for any real hard wilderness survival I own a BK-2 for that

I mean how would it perform in that aspect

An EDC Pocket Bushman would probably not be great.

It is an excellent, inexpensive folder for hard use. Closed, it is an excellent, slim, even lightweight package; open, it is rock-solid, fairly comfortable with a solid blade with a full flat grind and a nice point.

The transition between open and closed needs work. The thumb stud might well be non-existent. The lock is solid enough to need serious work to close.

I would not recommend it as an EDC. I think their other folders fulfil that use better. I see it as a scaled-up, cheaper and stronger Spyderco Military which is harder to operate.

It's just I love my pre 2010 ultra-lock ak-47 I beat it to hell and back and I will continue to use it but I want something slimmer with more reach and a cheap price tag cause I don't bring home a big paycheck and I have a little online shop to help pay for my toys

Back