Cool names for knives!

whitty

Dealer / Materials Provider
Some friends and I were talking the other night about some of the names on knives. Made me think of this thread. I did a quick search and did not see it anywhere so hopefully it has not been done before. What are some cool knife names you like?

I will get this started:

Fiddleback Forge Bushfinger
Fiddleback Forge Bishop
Fletcher Knives Hatchulla
Hinderer Half Track (This was almost called the Sherman)

prefer letters and numbers much like bmws e46s or 3 series being my personal favorite in cars. same with trucks ford f150 vs. a name like silverado chevy. names can be okay but often i dislike them. many seem dopey or lame to me. not all just many. i realize letters or numbers are not the way most prefer them. i just do.

VDK Impaler is probably my current favorite, and I am also confused why people pronounce Eschaton as Es-ka-ton (Since to me it doesn't work at all, Esh-a-ton, but we have the SCH pretty commonly here in germany), Zeta is a pretty nice simple name, other than that I would say I tend to go more for numbers than names as well, ZT fan and all that. Oh, and it amuses me how much the name Matanzas (Massacre) annoys @NickShabazz :D .

I am a never-ending font of good model names, if I do say so myself. The problem is when you have a design list a million miles long and only have the funds to move on a handful of them at a time. :p

Spyderco: Mamba, Tenacious, Dragonfly, ...
CKF Decepticon
CRK Umnumzaan, Sebenza
Reate Horizon

I named a custom knife (the only one so far that I make multiple models of) the ramble on. Im a bit of a zeppelin fan haha. I thought it was a cool name anyway. (Not tooting my own horn, I just get asked to make it a bunch and ramble on is one of my favorite zep songs. I will probably name all my designs that I repeat after classic rock songs)
I like the spyderco manix
I also really like how chris reeve names his knives, minus the ti-lock which I thought was a little boring,
I like the series of knives kershaw does like the chive-shallot by ken onion. Why? because because puns are freaking awesome! Ken Onions names brings will make ya laugh until you cry... (okay bad pun)
I like the way quartermaster names their knives too shamefully...
Im in a love hate relationship with cold steel's names, they are so cringy! I would like them for sure if I knew they named them like that because they dont take themselves too seriously but Im pretty sure the opposite is true...
The emerson roadhouse probably has my top pick for names though. I honest to god want one so I can have a peter griffin soundboard ready to say "roadhouse" every time I open it :). (and its one of the coolest looking production knives imo)
tenor_zpsx2w6cuqz.gif

Worst name probably goes to a knife that I want so so much, and is for sure going to be a best seller, the up and coming kershaw barenuckle... why give such a slim and sleek looking knife such a cringy tough name...?

Side note! Let me know what you guys think of me naming my customs knives that I make multiples of after classic rock songs! I figure this is a good thread to ask that in.

Busse WTF
Busse WTH

(War Train Fusion)
(War Train Handcar)

ETA - Pic:

IMG_2010.jpg

Last edited:
I don't own any Cold Steel knives but I do like "The Immortal" for a knife name. Also , the CRK Nyala I like.

Other names I think would be cool :
- The Mofo
- The Shogun
- The Disciple

Last edited:
Kizer Gemini. I would have bought one, no matter what they named it. But it helps that it doesn't make my inner twelve year old snicker.

TOPS does have some goofy names (Lil' Roughneck), but the TOPS Baja sounds okay. They're slowly moving away from that "most hardcore!" advertising philosophy, but with things like the "Sudden Impact" on the books, they've got a ways to go.

Our friends from Dark Ops should get a mention, because their entire marketing philosophy is based on the idea that their knives are so hardcore that they can't tell you why they've got those names, because it's classified information.

CRKT's collaborations with James Williams mostly have Japanese (or Japanese-sounding?) names that evoke the Samurai and the "warrior spirit". It helps that Mr. Williams is an accomplished martial artist, otherwise I don't think he could get away with it.

I like the Izula for a name, but it helps that it's a knife you can take seriously. I think some of the difference between actually "cool" and just "goofy", has to do with the company's overall marketing strategy, and whether or not the knife is actually worth buying.

If you know, what a Candiru is, you most likely wont like that as much as Izula.

Parasitism is an efficient way of making a living. Neither the Candiru or the Bullet Ant is "cool" in the traditional sense of the word (in that they are either majestic, or a respected predator). I've seen the peculiar sense of humor that comes out when ESEE guys talk to each other, and I think both of these knives' names are obscure "inside jokes" for them.

Efficient or not - if you know the particulars of what can happen to people in rivers with Candiru, you'd know, it isnt very nice nor is it polite dinner conversation.

Back