1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 38 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Council Tool Flying Fox

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Agent_H, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    I can't seem to find the thread where we were discussing the hardened poll hatchets that Council Tool was looking into developing but I just "pre-ordered" the Flying Fox. It's billed as a throwing axe - I have no business throwing an axe but I have wanted a smaller tool with a hardened poll. Normally new production axes don't interest me but I am curious.

[​IMG]

I'm thinking that it might be fun on a little straight handle at some point.

*I don't work for them, just pleased they made something like this.

2. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Yes, it had been up in the air originally whether they were going to harden the poll or not. I'm really glad that they decided to go with the hardened poll. I've got a case on order and will give my impressions when they arrive. Also, I was informed that the Classic Jersey is now part of the Sport Utility line and comes on a 32" handle now instead of 36", which I'm also pretty pumped about. 32" is about my sweet spot.

3. Hairy Clipper

Hairy Clipper Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 28, 2009
    You two fellows obviously have an inside track on this model. I have searched the Council website and all I get is 404 errors, i.e. server cannot find what was requested. I await more information on this item.

Ben-Did they mention a possible delivery date for your order?

4. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    Early October.

5. jblyttle

jblyttle Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2014
    It looks like a handy tool. $30's or $40's hopefully?

6. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Not bad, I'm very happy they took the initiative to harden the poll. They did that and kept a reasonable price point. I'll pick one up I think when the street price drops a little.

7. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    Full MSRP value is $49.90, so street price will be about $38.

8. Hairy Clipper

Feb 28, 2009
    Thank you Ben!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  9. Hairy Clipper

Feb 28, 2009
  10. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Wasn't this the model we all wrote them about? It was a while ago but I distinctly remember writing an email strongly recommending that they harden the poll. I think a bunch of us wrote about it!
    It is great that they listened. Says a lot about a company. I'll do my part and pick one up.

11. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    Yes, the very same. I had posted an image I saw of a prototype here and urged folks to voice their preference since I knew they hadn't made up their mind over it yet. Initial pricing info I received accidentally had pricing on them structured as if they didn't have hardened polls, so for reference the difference in MSRP that the hardened poll makes is seemingly $7.22, which is pretty darn negligible. I'd gladly pay that much extra on every axe they make to have the poll hardened instead of soft.

12. Hairy Clipper

Feb 28, 2009
    For less than the price of dinner at the local Chinese Buffet. I, too, would gladly pay $7.22 for a hardened poll.

13. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    it cost me 9 bucks to get a chicken sandwich at a diner
    granted that was a really expensive sandwich but it's really not much at all to add onto the price if you're making it a "premium-ish" tool

14. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    Well, it's part of the Sport Utility line, so it's mid-grade. But yeah, for the price bracket it's in it's kind of a no-brainer to me.

15. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    I hope they will market same head with 24-26 inch handle. It would have the same feel like my paper label 1 3/4lbs Hudson Bay Collins. Well, I do not see high center line, but hardened poll is definite plus.

A17, Fmont, ithinkverydeeply and 5 others like this.
  16. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Mine will get an honest review here. That is only right. On the original handle, but my plan is to either find or make a handle at a more appropriate length/shape for poll striking use. I still picture it on a diminutive boy's axe handle or maybe a nice little straight handle to mimic a mini rafting pattern. A "large hatchet eye" is approaching a boy's axe size...

I figure Council Tool can tend the steel and users can decide what works for us. There is a lot to say in that it is born from input from current need but with regard to "convention".
    I like the fact that it is American Made. It's pre-order so we will all see when the time comes.

Suddenly I want it in hand now...

quinton, A17, FortyTwoBlades and 7 others like this.
  17. junkenstien

junkenstien

Feb 15, 2017
    Hell yeah sure is good to see,hope they sell a million.

A17, Hairy Clipper, Fmont and 2 others like this.
  18. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Only thing I have seen from Council that I have really been interested in. I like hatchets with handles between 16"-18" and it has a 27 oz head, I think. Sounds really good to me.

19. Dusty One

Dusty One Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Might just have to pick one of these up !