Council Tool Flying Fox

This photo seems to indicate a mild high centerline, but it could be an optical illusion.

70195977_2927650460793958_7531329242068418560_n.jpg

After this yx showed up here the first time round, when we were talking about begging council to harden the poll, I saw this on eBay. And the similarity was so profound I took a screenshot of it. I can't remember what it is, but the similarity is very striking. I screenshotted that Jan 23 19.

Screenshot_20190123-160620_eBay.jpg

After this yx showed up here the first time round, when we were talking about begging council to harden the poll, I saw this on eBay. And the similarity was so profound I took a screenshot of it. I can't remember what it is, but the similarity is very striking. I screenshotted that Jan 23 19.

View attachment 1195776

I've been told that design influences included Rafting patterns, the National pattern, and the ol' True Temper Tomahawk hatchet.

So, the Flying Fox has shipped and should be here Monday so no initial impressions of it yet.

Just wanted to say that whiskeyrivertrading did me a solid. I had a $5 refund show up yesterday on my Paypal with no explanation. So, three or four days after ordering the hatchet, I figured out which Council Tool sheath fit it and ordered one. I believe the refund was for the shipping for the sheath when the two orders were getting lined up to go out.

I appreciate that. In all honesty, they were two separate orders but a human being made a decision to not only to stick them in the same parcel but then they also went back and, in good faith, sent me the unused shipping funds.

The majority of my shopping experiences with bigger operations has been that could have gone either way.
No request, no questions, no explanations, just what good people do.

They did the same for me. Mine arrived today, and is bathing in dark tung oil.
So, the Flying Fox has shipped and should be here Monday so no initial impressions of it yet.

Just wanted to say that whiskeyrivertrading did me a solid. I had a $5 refund show up yesterday on my Paypal with no explanation. So, three or four days after ordering the hatchet, I figured out which Council Tool sheath fit it and ordered one. I believe the refund was for the shipping for the sheath when the two orders were getting lined up to go out.

I appreciate that. In all honesty, they were two separate orders but a human being made a decision to not only to stick them in the same parcel but then they also went back and, in good faith, sent me the unused shipping funds.

The majority of my shopping experiences with bigger operations has been that could have gone either way.
No request, no questions, no explanations, just what good people do.

It's rustic looking, with the forge finish on all but the bevels and poll. Those are ground clean with what appears to be 36-50 grit belts. Some polishing is in store.

The handle nice but a bit thick for my taste. Since I won't be throwing it, it's likely I'll make it octagonal.

The hatchet has a nice convex edge out of the box. It's ready to go to work, but will benefit from a honing. There is a blue tinge still visible where the poll was hardened and it is approximately as hard as the bit.

This little jewel is going in the truck!

It's rustic looking, with the forge finish on all but the bevels and poll. Those are ground clean with what appears to be 36-50 grit belts. Some polishing is in store.

The handle nice but a bit thick for my taste. Since I won't be throwing it, it's likely I'll make it octagonal.

The hatchet has a nice convex edge out of the box. It's ready to go to work, but will benefit from a honing. There is a blue tinge still visible where the poll was hardened and it is approximately as hard as the bit.

This little jewel is going in the truck!

Do it! Smaller axes with intentional octagonals are smooth.

Like it,sharp and tight on the handle.Long and skinny pole slight convex cheeks the edge is inline with the swell.6 1/2 inches long 3 3/4 bit.Wood is like the other councils I have seen it’s horizontalgrain with heartwood in it got some fiddle though.Already thinking longer handle but I like the hatchet so probably have to get another,hopefully it goes over well and they can be talked into a ct pattern next.Thanks again for turning me onto it.Thats a m13/4 for scale.

Here's the octagon, dressed the fawns foot, started polishing the cheeks, dark tung oil on the haft.

Council https://imgur.com/gallery/EPfVbTR
lyVaUKR.jpg

Nice work on the flats!

Like it,sharp and tight on the handle.Long and skinny pole slight convex cheeks the edge is inline with the swell.6 1/2 inches long 3 3/4 bit.Wood is like the other councils I have seen it’s horizontalgrain with heartwood in it got some fiddle though.Already thinking longer handle but I like the hatchet so probably have to get another,hopefully it goes over well and they can be talked into a ct pattern next.Thanks again for turning me onto it.Thats a m13/4 for scale.

How much longer are you thinking?

Back