CPKhuk

Man, even the jimping looks totally sweet!
thank you! I spent many many hours on tiny little details.
The thing I'm proud of with the jimping and the guard chamfering is how they meet up with the front of the handle. Very fiddly work, but I think it was totally worth it.
One of my favourite parts is the faceting of the tang at the butt of the handle. I wanted to acknowledge some of the traditional details of a khukuri through my own interpretations of them. The finial that holds the handle on with a traditional khuk has kind of a squashed pyramid/diamond shape, and my version references it in my way. Another part I really like is the guard, which I think of as an inverted cho🤣

I'm struggling a bit with the fuller. The hand sanding is not great, it's really hard to get in there and control things predictably. I made a tool just for this, but I don't know how well it will work and would risk scratching parts that are already finished and be difficult to correct. So, I'm leaning toward dropping some ferric chloride into the fuller and etching it. Might be kind of neat if I can avoid getting it on anything else

oh, and I've decided to not 'field test' it anymore. I've gotten enough feedback to be satisfied with the heat treatment and I beat the hell out of the OG proto, so I know the design functions as intended. If anything, the handle shaping on this one is better than the original, as is the balance, and I'm pretty sure the rubber inserts damp at least some of the vibration but can't say for sure. Feels super solid though. I really can't afford to put more work on my plate just because I really want to use this thing. Fact is, I want to keep it for myself and I know myself well enough to know that I should just finish it out and send it somewhere else before I get attached🤗 This one was a labour of love, that's for sure

when I have a CPK prototype bad motherfucker in hand, I will definitely be testing it hard, so don't be sad if you were hoping to see some khukuri action because you will.

Great results! I do not think I have ever seen a better fit and finish on a kukri.

I was wondering how the slick handle finish (which looks amazing) was behaving in your field test though. I thought it might be a bit slippery for knife like this. I had a rough handle finish on my behemother and after a few swings I was glad that I did not opted for the buffed finish. It is not much of a problem when I have a solid backstop like a thick log but when I cut through smaller objects which does not act like a backstop, I am always worried that I will loose the grip. Perhaps it is just me being not very experienced at swinging large blades.

Great results! I do not think I have ever seen a better fit and finish on a kukri.

I was wondering how the slick handle finish (which looks amazing) was behaving in your field test though. I thought it might be a bit slippery for knife like this. I had a rough handle finish on my behemother and after a few swings I was glad that I did not opted for the buffed finish. It is not much of a problem when I have a solid backstop like a thick log but when I cut through smaller objects which does not act like a backstop, I am always worried that I will loose the grip. Perhaps it is just me being not very experienced at swinging large blades.
Terotuf with a smooth finish is still very grippy when it's wet. The shape of the handle really keeps it locked in as well, with no hot spots. For these reasons, and some others, I opted to not have a built in lanyard capability. If this knife gets away from you, you'd want it away from you

I remember reading something at one point in time, (I attribute it to Bob Loveless although I could be wrong) where it was stated that the design and shaping of the handle is what helps you maintain your grip and control over a knife, not texturing. But Terotuf doesn't hurt!

I remember reading something at one point in time, (I attribute it to Bob Loveless although I could be wrong) where it was stated that the design and shaping of the handle is what helps you maintain your grip and control over a knife, not texturing. But Terotuf doesn't hurt!
I am not an Loveless expert by any means but I do not remember him being into large chopper style knives. Perhaps what he said is true for small knives, but not so much for larger knives. I guess both the shape, material and the texture contribute to the grip to an extend.

calling it a day on this one

IymE55X.jpg

Lorien,
As a knife nerd, collector, and user, I thought that I could see where you were going with the design from the beginning. In my head, i had set a very high bar for what I thought that this would turn into. You absolutely crushed that. Since I think that your collaboration pieces are not only stunners, but are useful and practical workhorses, I thought that this would tick all of those boxes too.
You not only killed those parameters, you made the best looking kukri that I’ve ever seen. There are too many little ( big to me ) details to mention. It’s blatantly obvious that you put a lot of love into this project and I can’t wait to see what the production CPK runs look like. I hope that these come out soon, I have money waiting.
I hope that you all sell a million of them.

Edited to add
I hope that this doesn’t come across in an arrogant way. I don’t make knives and hope that this doesn’t read like I think that I’m somebody. I’m just very impressed and wanted to pay you a compliment.

Last edited:
Lorien,
As a knife nerd, collector, and user, I thought that I could see where you were going with the design from the beginning. In my head, i had set a very high bar for what I thought that this would turn into. You absolutely crushed that. Since I think that your collaboration pieces are not only stunners, but are useful and practical workhorses, I thought that this would tick all of those boxes too.
You not only killed those parameters, you made the best looking kukri that I’ve ever seen. There are too many little ( big to me ) details to mention. It’s blatantly obvious that you put a lot of love into this project and I can’t wait to see what the production CPK runs look like. I hope that these come out soon, I have money waiting.
I hope that you all sell a million of them.

Edited to add
I hope that this doesn’t come across in an arrogant way. I don’t make knives and hope that this doesn’t read like I think that I’m somebody. I’m just very impressed and wanted to pay you a compliment.
well, you just made my day man! Thank you so much🤘

I thought I remember Ethan Becker saying something like that...?
Or maybe he was repeating from someone else, idk?
but I have always believed the Same

I thought I remember Ethan Becker saying something like that...?
Or maybe he was repeating from someone else, idk?
but I have always believed the Same
I know that Bill Harsey has said that handle design is more important to secure grip and comfort than handle material (both in chatting with him and I have seen him make comments to that effect in writing a number of times). And I certainly trust him when it comes to knife design. I suspect it is something that a lot of successful knife designers say.

Back