CPKhuk

anything for you😘
qErRwez.jpg
Someone's plotting to take over the world...

That looks great. I think I have enough pennies in the jar for one...I probably will need two.
Is there a noticeable weight difference between the two models? Coke-fuller and Non-Coke-Fullet?

Sweet!

BTW, could you clarify; is this a custom one-off, or is this the prototype that's going to be sent to CPK to become the CPKhuk? Hoping for the latter as it looks GREAT as-is.
when I was tasked with designing a CPKhuk, it seemed like a good idea to get enough material for two, just in case the first one sucked. I pretty much nailed it on the first try, so I profiled out another because the prototype was super rough and I felt like the design merited a more thoroughly finished version as well. That blank sat around for a couple years, and now that I've left my previous career and gone full time into knife making, I can't have shit sitting around which can be turned into groceries.

There's also this reality- that I find extremely frustrating- which is that I want to be able to produce knives which look as though they have 100s or 1000s of knives worth of experience behind them, but I've made only about two dozen if I'm being generous. Compounding that quantity related concern, is that I seem to enjoy taking on complicated projects which take extra time especially for a newb, limiting my output. This second khuk, though, is great practice because it's almost exactly like the first, ( minus the spine fuller, and the handle's a little different ) so I've been able to troubleshoot some of the issues and processes I had the first time around and make small improvements, not to mention finishing it to the best of my current abilities.

My friend, Bob, told me; "Want to know how to become a toolmaker with 25 years experience... do it for 25 years! The big secret is... there is no secret and there are no shortcuts. The best craftsman is the one that has made the most mistakes... or as I think of it has been presented with the most "learning opportunities". Bob is no dumbass, although he and I have done some pretty dumbass things, aka; 'learning opportunities'. Anyway, I'm rambling now so just to give you a simple answer- this is a custom one off, based closely on the prototype that I sent to Nathan and fam.

That looks great. I think I have enough pennies in the jar for one...I probably will need two.
Is there a noticeable weight difference between the two models? Coke-fuller and Non-Coke-Fullet?
it's been awhile since I handled the first one, so I can't be sure, but it feels to me like this one might be a little livelier. I removed more material from the blade, and the terotuff is a little lighter weight than the og micarta. Still haven't weighed it yet, which is ironic since I was so obsessed with weight when I started :rolleyes:
I0I3kTW.jpg

Last edited:
when I was tasked with designing a CPKhuk, it seemed like a good idea to get enough material for two, just in case the first one sucked. I pretty much nailed it on the first try, so I profiled out another because the prototype was super rough and I felt like the design merited a more thoroughly finished version as well. That blank sat around for a couple years, and now that I've left my previous career and gone full time into knife making, I can't have shit sitting around which can be turned into groceries.

There's also this reality- that I find extremely frustrating- which is that I want to be able to produce knives which look as though they have 100s or 1000s of knives worth of experience behind them, but I've made only about two dozen if I'm being generous. Compounding that quantity related concern, is that I seem to enjoy taking on complicated projects which take extra time especially for a newb, limiting my output. This second khuk, though, is great practice because it's almost exactly like the first, ( minus the spine fuller, and the handle's a little different ) so I've been able to troubleshoot some of the issues and processes I had the first time around and make small improvements, not to mention finishing it to the best of my current abilities.

My friend, Bob, told me; "Want to know how to become a toolmaker with 25 years experience... do it for 25 years! The big secret is... there is no secret and there are no shortcuts. The best craftsman is the one that has made the most mistakes... or as I think of it has been presented with the most "learning opportunities". Bob is no dumbass, although he and I have done some pretty dumbass things, aka; 'learning opportunities'. Anyway, I'm rambling now so just to give you a simple answer- this is a custom one off, based closely on the prototype that I sent to Nathan and fam.

A person can have one year of experience for 25 years in a row and still just be a one year of experience. Obviously it takes time and experience to master something, but a large part of mastering something is having the inherent ability and willingness to do the work.

I've been going to Blade show for a long time now and every year I see some kid with a couple of years experience making something that rivals some of the masters that have been doing it for decades and this year was no exception.

Tai Goo was a little bit of a mechanical genius in his intuition and ability to get the mechanics right. I guess it was intuition, although it may have been experience, he's been doing it a long time too. But he would nail stuff and it didn't seem like he was even trying. You remind me a little bit of him with your intuition. It's one of the reasons I collaborate with you. I wouldn't sell yourself short, I think you're probably better than 90% of the makers I saw at Blade show this weekend.

A person can have one year of experience for 25 years in a row and still just be a one year of experience. Obviously it takes time and experience to master something, but a large part of mastering something is having the inherent ability and willingness to do the work.

I've been going to Blade show for a long time now and every year I see some kid with a couple of years experience making something that rivals some of the masters that have been doing it for decades and this year was no exception.

Tai Goo was a little bit of a mechanical genius in his intuition and ability to get the mechanics right. I guess it was intuition, although it may have been experience, he's been doing it a long time too. But he would nail stuff and it didn't seem like he was even trying. You remind me a little bit of him with your intuition. It's one of the reasons I collaborate with you. I wouldn't sell yourself short, I think you're probably better than 90% of the makers I saw at Blade show this weekend.
thanks man!😊

Back