CPKhuk

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by Lorien, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    it was likely around 2005, similar timeframe to joining Bladeforums, when I really started getting into khukuris. Trailworks Inc. was started in 2003, before I got into the bike shop owning/operating business, and I always struggled finding a decent machete which is a critical tool for the kind of work I specialize in.

having discovered Bladeforums, I found out about this brand, Becker, who produced this weird knife called the Machax. I got one and it made all the difference. I used the hell out of that knife until the blade snapped in half. There were some issues with the design that always bugged me, but that dropped edge convinced me of its efficacy. Not long after, I discovered Khukuri House, and started importing khukuris to sell through my online store, Bladeworks.

after having broken a couple khukuris I got from them, I ordered this mack daddy which they kindly etched my company logo onto. I never could get super comfortable using it as it was a little heavy and the handle was very uncomfortable. But it never broke. As you can see, I made some modifications to the handle. The wood shrunk so much, though, that I gave up on this knife and discovered custom knives, where you could have pretty much anything you wanted, so long as you could afford it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jus_gus, Odog27, SwarthyGnome and 8 others like this.
  2. moparsbob

moparsbob Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2014
    You should have gotten your Khukuris from Himalayan Imports!

3. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    this was one of my favourites, I think it was of the sirupate variety
    [​IMG]
    it had a less aggressive drop than the more standard models, and while it didn't chop quite as well, it handled great- very lively, and it didn't deflect as bad. I used it for almost a year, and one day while chopping at a log, the blade just fell off the handle. Nothing dramatic, more like a 'just riding along' type thing- accumulated fatigue. It was replaced under warranty, but I gave it to a friend since I discovered Matt Lamey who made me his version of a khuk. That Machax I had lasted about the same amount of time as this khuk and cost 5 times as much, lol

1AbominAble1, jus_gus, Odog27 and 4 others like this.
  4. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    Pro tip: a khukuri might not be the best kind of knife to start learning how to use a grinder on

vkp78, 1AbominAble1, jus_gus and 7 others like this.
  5. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005

Xr6x, 1AbominAble1, jus_gus and 7 others like this.
  6. oldmanwilly

oldmanwilly Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Well that's just grand. More please.

jus_gus, Odog27 and woodysone like this.
  7. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Dude...fistbump:cool::thumbsup:

8. Richard338

Richard338 Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2005
    Not too shabby. You can sure see how thick that spine is.

jus_gus and Odog27 like this.
  9. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    someone needs to go on a diet
    [​IMG]

nandok, Xr6x, vkp78 and 6 others like this.
  10. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Fuller?

woodysone, jus_gus and Odog27 like this.
  11. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    kind of. A fuller in the shape of a spoon

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    woodysone, jus_gus, Odog27 and 2 others like this.
  12. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    seems legit
    [​IMG]

some tools showed up today, including a new wheel for the angle grinder that I really hope I'm not going to have to use
    [​IMG]

jus_gus, Xr6x, WValtakis and 2 others like this.
  13. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    busted out the files tonight
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    aiming to trim another 2.5oz off, which might be unrealistic but we shall see
    [​IMG]

15. bluemax_1

bluemax_1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Chirra?

madcap_magician and Odog27 like this.
  16. SharpPancake

SharpPancake Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 30, 2018
    Handle sceletonization?

17. beattheheat

beattheheat Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 13, 2018
    weight watchers!

SharpPancake, oldmanwilly and Odog27 like this.
  18. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    I'm enjoying watching your progress on this.

To be honest, I've never been a fan of khukuri style knives but admittedly, it is likely due to me not using the right techniques while in use. The Becker BK-4 (Machax) and BK-21 (Reinhart Kukri) are my absolute least favorite Becker designs and to my fellow Beckerheads, that is likely akin to sacrilege.

That all said, I have absolute trust in your designs and I am looking forward to seeing this project unfold.

19. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    they got some things right with the machax and some things wrong. Can't say much about the reinhart other than it looks a little awkward for some reason.

your words are very kind, thank you so much.

I got some interesting work done today, realizing I need more tools, but learning how to do without. At least I'm not squatting in a tin shed at 1400m above see level over a coal fire, with a ball pein hammer and a mercedes leaf spring!

unless I'm crying all day, I might have a photo or two tomorrow

20. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    [​IMG]
    very happy

woodysone, Xr6x, Odog27 and 5 others like this.