CPKhuk

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by Lorien, Dec 3, 2020.

1. MattinLA

MattinLA

May 31, 2006
    Man, I keep checking back and look at this picture.
    I love the profile, stabby and choppy!

2. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    couple chunks of linen micarta bolted on now. Drilling and reaming went better than expected. I'll be busy tomorrow with this
    [​IMG]
    but I'm hoping to at least get the scales ground to profile, and maybe the ends profiled as well. Then comes the fun part

woodysone, jus_gus, Odog27 and 8 others like this.
  3. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    I'm hoping that this thing doesn't expand too much after heat treatment that the holes don't line up properly, but just in case I'm going to step away from the handle and tend to a few little touches while the steel is soft. Foil is on the way and when it arrives, I suppose I will be heat treating a knife for the first time. It's pretty exciting and I've been reading up on it quite a bit, so I'm really looking forward to it

woodysone, jus_gus, MattinLA and 7 others like this.
  4. SharpPancake

SharpPancake Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 30, 2018
    @Lorien I dont think you are buying liquid nitrogen for this one kukri-shaped-knife, right?

Odog27 likes this.
  5. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    all the money is spent! The ole freezer is going to have to do the job for now. I'll nestle it in with the frozen peas
    I'd like a dewar at some point, but for now I'll have to do without. I'm starting to feel like heat treating will be something I'll be getting into more deeply- it's fascinating, and I'm just scratching the surface

6. VashHash

VashHash

Aug 11, 2009
    The dewar is the expensive part. Sometimes you can find cheaper ones used. I found one a while back but the seller didn't want to ship it. I just wanted to play with some liquid nitrogen for food stuff.

woodysone, jus_gus, Odog27 and 2 others like this.
  7. orangehero

orangehero Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 15, 2010
    What's the story with this? Is there are preorder or any timeline?

jus_gus and Odog27 like this.
  8. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    the story is contained in its entirety in this thread. Nope and nope- not yet anyway.

Moses_3, jus_gus, orangehero and 4 others like this.
  9. MattinLA

MattinLA

May 31, 2006
    Actually the story has spread and attached itself to my own personal wants and dreams...

jus_gus and Odog27 like this.
  10. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    the hallmark of effective marketing! Lol :)

jus_gus, MattinLA, Odog27 and 3 others like this.
  11. SharpPancake

SharpPancake Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 30, 2018
    What stone/system are you planning to use to sharpen that recurve section. Delta 3V is no joke.
    This is what kept me from recurves (apart that they look like garbage) is how do you sharpen properly. Something like Spyderco Sharpmaker rod can do a job of sharpening, but reprofiling an edge, even with diamond stone will take a lot of time.

Odog27 likes this.
  12. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    3V is easy to sharpen, imo. A ceramic rod should be enough to maintain that inward curve area, given the type of use it might see

13. VashHash

VashHash

Aug 11, 2009
    Dexter Russell makes an oval shaped diamond steel. You would have to be gentle with it but it would fit in the recurve. Also DMT makes tapered diamond files in coarse and other grits. Also the DMT wave.

14. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    foiled!
    [​IMG]

jus_gus, woodysone, bluemax_1 and 6 others like this.
  15. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    looking forward to the Sunday roast
    [​IMG]

jus_gus, woodysone, VashHash and 9 others like this.
  16. Deadman's Point

Deadman's Point

Feb 3, 2013
    This is ridiculous. Take my money, and give me something I'll never really need.

jus_gus, woodysone, Mike157 and 2 others like this.
  17. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    never say never!

000Robert, woodysone, Mike157 and 4 others like this.
  18. MattinLA

MattinLA

May 31, 2006
    My tactical gardening skills need this...I got Shrubbery!!

jus_gus, woodysone, Mike157 and 2 others like this.
  19. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    just fired up the oven- my goal today is to avoid lighting myself on fire. So far, so good

jus_gus, woodysone, Odog27 and 5 others like this.
  20. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    Oh, and try not to electrocute yourself too! Those exposed coils are live!

jus_gus, woodysone, Odog27 and 3 others like this.